Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Rumor: Hilton to Phase Out All Executive Lounges at Hiltons in the United States?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: Hilton to Phase Out All Executive Lounges at Hiltons in the United States?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
I found top Executive lounges in Europe, among the best Hilton Warsaw, Hilton Vienna Danube, Hilton Budapest Castle, Hilton Malta, Hilton Basel (now gone) and many more.
Not just for breakfast offerings but for happy hours selection (sometimes a real dinner), exclusive and stylish environment and personalized service.

I am really shocked by what are you all telling me about US lounges (never been there): why is there such a low level? And why are they closing them?
Is the typical US hotel owner stingy if compared to the european colleagues?
Old May 15, 2018, 5:31 am

Exclamation Sorry---No Executive Lounge----No More Stays

I can't even estimate how often I have used Executive Lounges for business, entertaining, quiet conversation, drafting documents, use of PC's, breakfasts and Happy Hours, the city views, THE PERSONAL ATTENTION, and to GET THINGS DONE other than at the busy reception desks! Henceforward I will check on whether the hotel has an Executive Lounge---if they do, YES for my business; if not, NO WAY.
GoldenItalianBoy likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by freestay
The Orlando Hilton closed their Executive Lounge as well recently. Not necessarily all a bad thing as breakfast there was crowded and unappealing...now they have a reserved section at restaurant for Diamonds with very nice buffet. Also received appetizer coupons for downstairs bar that served meal-size portions.
Closing ELs internationally, however, would make me rethink Hilton as that is one of the biggest perks!
This, to me, is the same slippery slope airlines took with in-flight meals. The quality deteriorated over the years and when they eliminated them on most flights in Coach, their rationalization was, "our customers said they didn't value them that much." If the lounge is "crowded and unappealing", maybe the lounge needs upgrading.

I'd agree on the international lounges- my late husband and I were very loyal to Hilton in the years we had lounge access to hotels in Europe. We always looked forward to seeing what was on offer and some- Dubrovnik and Prague in particular- were above and beyond. I've been less prone to booking Hiltons in Europe now that I'm a lowly Gold and, last I knew, Lounge access for Golds is at the discretion of the hotel.
az2323 and GoldenItalianBoy like this.
Old May 15, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: HH LifeTime Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt, AA, Delta
Hilton San Diego Mission Valley has permanently closed their executive lounge. Two days before my arrival a few months ago. Bummer.
Old May 15, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
We also have made it a point to stay at Hilton properties with EL. One of the best was in Buenos Aires, some of the others were good and a few have been lacking.

From now on I guess I will make it a point to check if the EL really exists at the property, if not then back to Marriott.
Old May 15, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, HHonors Diamond,
I came across a similar experience at my most recent stay in St. Petersburg, FL at the Hilton on Bay Front. Last year on my last night the lounge hostess said the lounge was closing for renovations and that there would be complementary breakfast in the hotel restaurant. That was fine. This year when I came back the lounge had been reopened, but it was only for Diamond members. Gold still had free breakfast in the restaurant. When I asked about that change, they blamed it on corporate. When I asked about being allowed access the front desk person essentially said, no that they had a specific list of who could go there and that they checked carefully. As a Gold member, I've always had lounge access at every Hilton I've stayed at that had a lounge. I don't know if this is an across the board change at all Hilton properties or just an individual property policy.

I can't complain about the breakfast at the hotel restaurant. There was a very nice buffet and one could order a freshly made omelet. Breakfast was better than what was typically provided in the lounge. However I liked being able to go up the lounge for happy hour, having a few appetizers, a glass of wine and talking with other guests. Also I could go into the lounge at anytime, and help myself to water, juice, yogurt and other snacks. There was also always coffee and tea available. Since I was there doing a triathlon, it was always nice to go up there at 4:00 am to make myself a cup of tea to have with my pre-race breakfast and grab a bottle or two of water. This year I had to pass on my pre-race caffeine hit since the hotel Starbucks was not open at that hour.
Old May 15, 2018, 10:02 am
jrx
Hilton Contributor Badge

Lounges can be entirely hit or miss. I would rate locations like Hilton Sacramento Arden West and Hilton Minneapolis as doing the bare minimum, overcrowded, and junky. In contrast, the Hilton Santa Fe Plaza is a class act, with a spotless, well-appointed lounge. The Curio hotels in St. Louis and Minneapolis also have outstanding lounges.

I love the lounge concept, but I wouldnt lament Hilton closing tired, crappy lounges. Unfortunately what they should be doing is asking How can we enhance the product to attract more business? The contrast in evening reception and breakfast quality between lounges of the Minneapolis Hilton and Curio means that Ill be staying in the Curio regardless of price difference. And Ill be in Sacramento this week, and my nights are going to an HGI because I know I will get a much better breakfast than what the Hilton puts out in the lounge.
Old May 15, 2018, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by jrx
I love the lounge concept, but I wouldnt lament Hilton closing tired, crappy lounges. Unfortunately what they should be doing is asking How can we enhance the product to attract more business?

I agree- with many leisure travelers gravitating to Airbnb and similar accommodations, it would make more sense for Hilton to up their game than to a lounge deteriorate and then decide to close it because it wasn't all that great anyway. Give me a reason to choose Hilton.

My candidate for Worst Excuse for a Hilton Lounge was one in Seattle (I believe). This was years ago but clearly it was a regular room that they attempted to set up as a lounge. No open bar, pitiful snacks, and people were practically sitting on top of each other.
Old May 15, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Athena53
I agree- with many leisure travelers gravitating to Airbnb and similar accommodations, it would make more sense for Hilton to up their game than to a lounge deteriorate and then decide to close it because it wasn't all that great anyway. Give me a reason to choose Hilton.

My candidate for Worst Excuse for a Hilton Lounge was one in Seattle (I believe). This was years ago but clearly it was a regular room that they attempted to set up as a lounge. No open bar, pitiful snacks, and people were practically sitting on top of each other.
You can add the Capitol Hilton in DC to list of bottom tier lounges. Most of the time it is a complete zoo.
Old May 15, 2018, 11:44 am

Never been a fan of the executive lounge. Close it and expand the hotel gym.

My favorite observations in the lounge (Hilton Rialto MLB):
Person filling purse with several bottled waters, packaged items, and emptying entire tray of granola bars into same purse
Kid coughing (wet) into hands while facing food then spooning taco meat onto plate

I'll forgo the complimentary snack time and venture outside of the hotel.
Old May 15, 2018, 11:46 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I would vote to the bottom tier lounges the Hilton San Francisco Bay. The evening offering is really a dump and at least evening service lounge attendant attitude is questionable.
Old May 15, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by erikfos
Never been a fan of the executive lounge. Close it and expand the hotel gym.

My favorite observations in the lounge (Hilton Rialto MLB):
Person filling purse with several bottled waters, packaged items, and emptying entire tray of granola bars into same purse
Kid coughing (wet) into hands while facing food then spooning taco meat onto plate

I'll forgo the complimentary snack time and venture outside of the hotel.
This sounds like a human behavior issue, not a Hilton issue. Same thing could happen at any buffet, anywhere. Rude and inconsiderate, yes. Hilton caused problem, no.
Old May 15, 2018, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
This sounds like a human behavior issue, not a Hilton issue. Same thing could happen at any buffet, anywhere. Rude and inconsiderate, yes. Hilton caused problem, no.
I agree- I've seen discussions on this here before and it's up to the lounge staff to police this when people stuff their backpacks with enough food for a day of sightseeing.
Old May 15, 2018, 11:26 pm

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
This is an interesting thread.
in your opinion, what's the reason of this great difference between lounge experience (and management) in USA compared to Europe?
for me it's a mistery
Old May 16, 2018, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
This is an interesting thread.
in your opinion, what's the reason of this great difference between lounge experience (and management) in USA compared to Europe?
for me it's a mistery
In USA status is given away for next to nothing with credit cards so there are many more people who are Diamond status than would otherwise be, leading to a dilution of the EL offering. However in Europe not so many credit cards exist, so most people have to earn status the traditional way - so the lounges aren't particularly overrun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.