Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Rumor: Hilton to Phase Out All Executive Lounges at Hiltons in the United States?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: Hilton to Phase Out All Executive Lounges at Hiltons in the United States?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2018, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Amelorn
Our "minimizing" comments are borne out of frustration at being screwed over by certain properties and getting nowhere via complaint channels. Tourism in America means paying good money for cheap-cheap-cheap quality*, which bleeds into the EL product. Lazily chunked "scrambled" (powdered) eggs, flavorless melon, a few sad bananas, and a broken Nespresso is the "executive" breakfast in a metro-area business property. The "lounge" is all too often a converted junior suite, or if you're lucky, two whole standard rooms with the wall knocked down. I am looking at you, Hilton LAX and Mission Valley.

While I don't expect the lounges to go to Asian standards anytime soon (although if service industry wages remain this depressed for long enough, who knows once the labor becomes relatively cheap...), I am not going to lobby for a crappy product's preservation. Enforcing a minimum standard would be nice, in addition to giving elites (golds and diamonds or just diamonds, take your pick) the option to dine in the main restaurant. I'll take a guaranteed seat in the main restaurant rather than endure an overcrowded "lounge."
I have no issues with people critiquing the quality of EL in N.America. There are valid grounds for those complaints. But that is different than to say "I don't need EL" or "Get rid of them if they're not going to improve them," which are sentiments expressed numerous times on this thread. Those are the comments I take issue with. I too wish EL's were better in America. But even if Hilton does not heed those critiques and does not improve the lounge, there are plenty of people like me who'd want them to keep the current product rather than to get rid of it. And as I said before, no one has anything to gain by having EL phased out. I doubt it will lead to lower rates or some kind of generous vouchers.

I've never seen an EL that was completely worthless. Perhaps my standards are lower than others, but I can say I've been to a couple Crowne Plaza club lounges and airport lounges that were completely worthless. On the whole Regency clubs tend to be better, but some EL's in N.America are actually pretty good. Most offer enough things for evening spread that makes it good enough for dinner. Even in US, I seek out properties that have EL.
Athena53 and wizla like this.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
This is an aberration and I am not sure if it is still there, but the DoubleTree Suites near Houston Galleria has a pretty nice lounge spread in the evenings as well as decent breakfast. A few years ago they even grabbed an adjoining room to expand it further. They also have a wine/beer hors d'oeuvres reception in the lobby on Wednesday evenings where all are welcome! It really is up to each property to decide what they want to do. Most other Doubletrees laugh when I ask if they have a lounge...
Old May 22, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dmodemd
This is an aberration and I am not sure if it is still there, but the DoubleTree Suites near Houston Galleria has a pretty nice lounge spread in the evenings as well as decent breakfast. <snip>Most other Doubletrees laugh when I ask if they have a lounge...
This is the part that bothers me. While I appreciated the response from Lauren, the HHonors representative on here, reassuring us that there are no plans at corporate level to phase out lounges, this is an area where they give wide latitude to individual properties- just as they allow hotels such as the Paris Opera to have award stays only for "premium" rooms at 126,000 points per night. Is it up to individual hotels to decide whether to provide Wi-Fi or a pool or a TV in the rooms? Probably not- guests expect them when they book a Hilton property. Saying that there are no plans to phase out Executive Lounges but allowing individual hotels to close theirs, IMO, is allowing them to degrade the quality of the Hilton brand since customers no longer know what to expect.

Last edited by Athena53; May 23, 2018 at 3:41 pm
Old May 23, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Just one more argument: If someone books via a broker Hilton has to pay a fee - this could be as high as until 25 Percent.
If a Gold or Diamond books directly: They could spent a part of this money into customer loyalty with a reasonable Executive Lounge!
This is the way many many Hilton Hotels go!
hugolover likes this.

Last edited by flysmart2; May 23, 2018 at 2:24 pm Reason: Typo
Old May 23, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Question

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

Thanks for flagging this. There are no plans at the Hilton Honors level to remove Executive Lounges from our hotels. We know the lounges are an important benefit to our members and help to ensure we deliver the best experience possible. Any changes at the property level would be an individual hotel decision.

Thanks!
Lauren
Thanks for the info Lauren. I am equally concerned about what is going on at the Conrad Singapore and their two lounge concept. The second class “Executive Lounge” on the 4th floor is for Diamonds. The “real” Executive Lounge on the 31st floor is only for people that actually pay for an Executive room or suite. I find this to be very disturbing and think that it violates the spirit of lounge access benefits for Diamonds. Your highest level elites should not be shunted off to a substandard lounge. This hotel will never get my business under such a policy.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:57 am
Suspended

@MorrisseyThank you for the head up. I will certainly avoid Conrad Singapore in future!
stevie likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by chongcao
@MorrisseyThank you for the head up. I will certainly avoid Conrad Singapore in future!
+1
Old May 25, 2018, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn
DT Torrance (LA) just renovated their entire hotel including EL, I believe.
I have to correct myself.
DT Torrance has undergone renovation, but their EL remains closed and apparently there are no definite plans to reopen it.
Very disappointing.
Old May 26, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I've got a trip lined up for early November. I will stay there ONE night just so my partner can collect her Conrad Bear. Apart from that, I'll look elsewhere.

What with this, and the recent FT rumours that Conrad HK is going to leave the brand, it makes Diamond look less worth keeping.
Old May 28, 2018, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think lounges are an important benefit for being a Diamond and I hope they don't disappear.
Old May 28, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by yurtripper

What with this, and the recent FT rumours that Conrad HK is going to leave the brand, it makes Diamond look less worth keeping.
I think it was pretty quickly put to rest that that was not true.
Old May 29, 2018, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by DaWhirledTraveller
That information is presented in their quarterly results. The latest is as of 31 Mar 2018. According to the provided stats, Hilton Owned/Leased properties - 66, Hilton Managed properties - 265, Franchised - 244.

A link to the document can be found on the Hilton website when you Navigate to the Investor section.
http://ir.hilton.com/~/media/Files/H...gs-release.pdf
According to pg.9 of this link, only ~1/4 of Hiltons and ~10% of Doubletrees in the US are managed by Hilton. All the rest just have franchise agreements.
Wonder how this compares to Hyatt, Marriott/Renaissance, Sheraton/Westin, etc.

This leads to 2 concerns:
1). Statement by Lauren that Hilton is committed to EL, but that it's up to franchised properties to make their own decisions, is not at all reassuring for the future of EL's in US.
2). Perhaps I don't understand enough about the hotel industry, but what's in it for a franchised Hilton to go well beyond the franchise agreement and minimum Hilton standards (which I presume are fairly extensive and expensive to begin with) by doing something like providing outstanding EL offerings? I would think that directly-managed properties tend to do more in order to elevate the brand status.
Old May 29, 2018, 11:10 am

You may have an exaggerated idea of how much difference there is between an owner's leverage in a managed property versus one that is franchised. In either case, the owner is the owner. And these days owners are very much in the driver's seat in negotiations with brand managers. If the owners find it in their interest to build or keep a lounge, there will be one. Otherwise, there will not. The few thousand entities that own properties flying Hilton-brand banners are remarkable in many ways - not least in that a very high proportion of those entities (or major partners in the REIT's that own the hotels) are owners of nearby properties managed by or franchised from Marriott, IHG, etc. If changing the amenities in one of their hotels drives guests elsewhere, there is a reasonable chance that the hotel owner will fare better than the brand owner.

There has been much chatter of late by owners that the number of diamond members is mushrooming so quickly that existing lounges are becoming sources of guest dissatisfaction because they are packed to the gills. More diamond members are similarly a disincentive to include new lounges in renovations or new projects as they now require more space than they did in the past. It will be interesting to see how this plays out as some luxury and full-service brands are toying with ideas to 'customize the guest experience' in ways that might make lounges passe. I honestly do not know what those words means. I fear that the marketing-babble translates to 'offer less, charge more' - rather like Chicago's new Conrad, which is supposed to be such a treat to stay in that guests not staying in suites will not miss having a bathtub, much less a soaking tub.
Old May 29, 2018, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by retiredfromhilton
It will be interesting to see how this plays out as some luxury and full-service brands are toying with ideas to 'customize the guest experience' in ways that might make lounges passe. I honestly do not know what those words means.
Evening receptions for all hotel guests. Beverage stations available to guests. Comp appetizers or drinks in on-property restaurants as part of a special room rate (and given as an upgrade to Diamond members). Think the things that Kimpton does.
Old May 29, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by retiredfromhilton
I fear that the marketing-babble translates to 'offer less, charge more' - rather like Chicago's new Conrad, which is supposed to be such a treat to stay in that guests not staying in suites will not miss having a bathtub, much less a soaking tub.
Even my suite at the Conrad Chicago didn't have a tub! (All that said, that's the least of the reasons not to stay there...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.