Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Wasn't it the case you didn't earn points on ANY stay that included an award night?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wasn't it the case you didn't earn points on ANY stay that included an award night?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold

I just got off the phone with an Honors rep who said that if you have an award night, followed or preceded by a paid night, you WILL receive points for the paid night.

I thought it was that if any part of your stay was an award, you got no points, even for the paid nights.

I asked if this was a new policy and she said no, it's the way it's always been.

Does anyone know for sure? I want to book a 2 night stay with wildly different prices, of course want to use points for the expensive night, but not if I'm not going to get anything for the paid night.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:36 pm

I believe this was one of the changes to the program in 2017, when points and money stays were changed so that we would earn points for the part of the stay we paid for. I’ve done a couple of points and money stays in the last year and have earned points on the dollar amount I paid for both of them.

From the Hilton Honors FAQ (Hilton Honors Program FAQ)
WILL I EARN HILTON HONORS POINTS FOR STANDARD ROOM REWARDS, PREMIUM ROOM REWARDS, OR POINTS & MONEY REWARDS STAYS?
The money spent on the room rate portion of Points & Money Rewards will be considered an eligible folio charge for which Points will be issued. Determining all other incidental charges that count towards earning Hilton Honors Points varies by brand and type of charge. Please see the Hilton Honors Terms and Conditionsfor details.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I just got off the phone with an Honors rep who said that if you have an award night, followed or preceded by a paid night, you WILL receive points for the paid night.

I thought it was that if any part of your stay was an award, you got no points, even for the paid nights.

I asked if this was a new policy and she said no, it's the way it's always been.

Does anyone know for sure? I want to book a 2 night stay with wildly different prices, of course want to use points for the expensive night, but not if I'm not going to get anything for the paid night.
This was changed in the T and C's in 2017. Here is one of HonorsRepresentative's posts:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28289014-post12.html
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I must have missed that update. Great (old) news.

But just to be annoyingly sure, this is not a "points and money" stay, this is a "points" THEN "money" stay.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Thanks, I must have missed that update. Great (old) news.

But just to be annoyingly sure, this is not a "points and money" stay, this is a "points" THEN "money" stay.
Doesn't matter.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Doesn't matter.
Ok, off to book.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: A handful of shiny cards
I can confirm. Did a points plus cash stay at Canary Wharf at the beginning of the month, got points for the rest
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windchaser777
I can confirm. Did a points plus cash stay at Canary Wharf at the beginning of the month, got points for the rest
Thanks.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

Yes, that was the case until not too long ago. Again, we have a situation where the CSR makes something up instead of looking things up to get the right answer. This makes me very nervous in trusting what I get told. Just because it's in my favor does not necessarily make it right. The need to travel defensively is getting more and more a requirement when participating in a loyalty program. Unfortunately, I see fewer and fewer details being published so you have to call and hope you find an agent that knows what they are doing. The worst person to ask about the program rules would be a FDC who not only does not know all the rules but in some cases can't even participate in the program.
ChinaShrek likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.