Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Even More New Hilton Honors Benefits in 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: missamo80
Full details

FAQ

Yes, Points + Points and Points + Miles earnings are going away, it's replaced with status-based bonuses. Base and silver member earnings winds up worse off. Gold earning wind up a teeny tiny better off. Diamond earning remains unchanged.

Only nights roll over to help with qualification in the following year, not stays or points.
Print Wikipost

Even More New Hilton Honors Benefits in 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Glad I saw this article. I have enjoyed using points and miles, and have been loyal to Hilton accordingly. No reason any more to stay at Hilton properties. I'm really disappointed.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by puchong
I found Points + Miles to be an excellent way to inject a new lease of life to dormant Frequent Flyer mileage accounts and ensure that I do not lose any miles due to lack of activity.
You can still transfer points to airline miles. If you were using ponts + miles for multiple airlines, that seems no harder work. If you were using points + miles always for the same airline, yeah, then it's a bit more work. (If the latter, presumably that airline wasn't Delta, because Delta miles don't expire.)
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

Saw a few questions about promotions. We will continue to run our Hilton Honors promotions (i.e. Points Unlimited). Specific to airline promotions - for those members who choose to convert their Points into miles, we will continue to work with our airline partners and offer stay-based airline promotions.

Also rollover nights - only nights rollover, not qualifying stays or Points. Any excess nights at the end of the year above 60 would rollover to the next status year. Elite rollover nights are only valid for the next calendar year and will expire thereafter. They must be used in the following calendar year from when they were earned.

Thanks,
Lauren
This unfortunately is not applicable to those of us who regularly qualify for Diamond based on stays. I will continue a mix of IHG stays during their more lucrative promotions, pay AF for credit card for 1 free anniversary night - of greater value, now that it will be possible to redeem nights / points at Kimpton properties.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:09 pm
Original Member

Wow. As a Silver, now I have to spend $3,300 just to get one free night (assuming $150-$200 rooms generally cost 40,000 points).

After the changes a year ago, I have been switching my 20 nights or so of leisure travel a year from Hilton.com and the mobile app to eBates/Priceline, where I score a bare minimum of 10-20% below Hilton member rates. Using Priceline Express/bidding, I am seeing 50-75% reductions. No need to spend extra money to score a few percent in value from Hilton points ever again with these two latest devaluations.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Funny but I made a prediction two years ago that HH would slowly become more and more like DL. Totally happening.

That being said, as a Diamond this will have only real positive benefits for me. The only sad part is that with Aspire, rollover, and gifting (even DL doesn't allow gifting top tier), everyone and their mom is going to be a Diamond. I know for years we all have stated on FT that when is HH going to actually differentiate Diamond, and looks like we are still going the other way.

I do find rollover a bit ironic, for those that remember the days of HH RT, it's more or less the same type of concept.

Originally Posted by tkelsay
Not sure I see the reason for pushing to lifetime Diamond though, the new Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card will give Diamond status immediately. The new card will have a $250 annual airline incidental credit and a $250 annual Hilton resort credit, as well as one weekend award night each year, which more than makes up for the $450 yearly fee. Diamond is basically free at this point.
Not truly free, but definitely not like the way we all knew status to be earned years ago.

Originally Posted by MountainGuy
Primarily because of the merger. There's nothing about Marriott that I've enjoyed. I came late to the Starwood game, and definitely have enjoyed my stays there the last year, but I don't know what 2019 and moving forward will be. Hiltons are everywhere, I have hundreds of nights that I've stayed there, it's simple to check in on my phone, walk to my room, open door with phone and stay. While Hilton points are very devalued, I see points as a thing that happens as a by-product of traveling so much for work. Far easier to find Hilton properties to redeem at worldwide. Even if they do cost 95,000 points . With this plan and the new CC, I could be looking at 27k pts for 4 night stay before promos.

I don't care about breakfasts. I enjoy the club level, but of the perks at all the chains the only thing I use often is the free water bottles. I do love the SNA's with Starwood .... but will those stay? I like the late checkout and upgrade .... but realistically I don't use late checkout and suites are only good when I'm on vacation.

I'm bummed the Waldorf in NYC is down for a bit, but I'll push stays to Hilton and take a nice trip to some Hilton property for free(ish) instead of a St Regis. Marriott could wow me with the coming changes, but I don't see that as likely. I just don't know what Starriott will be, but I know a lot more now what Hilton will be.
Good feedback, I've struggled to decide how to do my stays this year. I lost Hyatt Glob status last year in protest of Hyatt, and thought I might go out of the gates in 2018 trying to requal. But with Hilton creating the Aspire card, and now having these new benefits likely will keep me at Hilton. Here's my strategy:

1. Stay simply at Hiltons for points for free nights
2. Continue to take advantage of IHG accellerate offers to keep points, keep IHG plat via CC
3. Stay at Hyatt if and when they have some good promos, otherwise just drop to status with CC
MountainGuy and markko like this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
I will miss collecting Avios, ok not as good as a few years ago when it was a minimum 500 per stay. I maybe would have liked to have seen a slightly better points differential for Diamond/ something to have split gold and diamond a little more (to force some properties to do more who don't seem to do that much between gold and diamond). Like many others, I don't want the Diamond member pool to grow too big.
Saying all that, I have had a number of great stays last year, and hope this continues. I am not going to turn away because of this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
For diamonds that had their double dip as points and points this is actually a decline in points per $.

This is going to suck in Q4 with the Delta MQM promo. Hilton received at least two stays from me last year that would have gone to Hyatt because of the MQMs
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
Glad I saw this article. I have enjoyed using points and miles, and have been loyal to Hilton accordingly. No reason any more to stay at Hilton properties. I'm really disappointed.
So no having points and miles is the reason you won't stay anymore? There are about a dozen things more damning than points and miles
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
For diamonds that had their double dip as points and points this is actually a decline in points per $.

This is going to suck in Q4 with the Delta MQM promo. Hilton received at least two stays from me last year that would have gone to Hyatt because of the MQMs
How is this a decline for Diamonds? It was 10 base points and 50% bonus or 15 points per dollar. It is now 20 points per dollar. Did I read it wrong?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Points + Miles was a great way for me to keep my various airline miles from expiring. I don't really see anything in the changes that off sets that loss for me.

Interesting to me is that except for Flyertalk, the only way I heard about the changes away from points/miles was an email from Delta this morning. Hilton hasn't sent me anything.
jefftiger likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
How is this a decline for Diamonds? It was 10 base points and 50% bonus or 15 points per dollar. It is now 20 points per dollar. Did I read it wrong?
I believe it was 10 base points, plus 50% for points and points, plus 50% for Diamond, so I think it's the same as the new 20 points per dollar.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Seabilly
Points + Miles was a great way for me to keep my various airline miles from expiring. I don't really see anything in the changes that off sets that loss for me.

Interesting to me is that except for Flyertalk, the only way I heard about the changes away from points/miles was an email from Delta this morning. Hilton hasn't sent me anything.
That's how I learned about it as well was from the email this morning from Delta.

The only time I double dip with an airline is when Delta has a promo going on like the Q4 bonus with the MQMs and I'm going to miss that
Seabilly likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Actually it ends up being the same if someone has points + Points for their double dip. You get 50% bonus for a diamond currently and another 50% if you have points plus points instead of points plus miles. So at best it's a wash and it's a decline depending on how you value miles. For me it will be a decline in Q4 since I do place a value on MQM's with Delta.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Actually it ends up being the same if someone has points + Points for their double dip. You get 50% bonus for a diamond currently and another 50% if you have points plus points instead of points plus miles. So at best it's a wash and it's a decline depending on how you value miles. For me it will be a decline in Q4 since I do place a value on MQM's with Delta.
Also once or twice per year they did different miles promotion with other airlines. In 2017 I participated in one with BA and one with IB. Also I remember one with LH M&M.
New enhancement
Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:26 pm

I guess for me the miles were not important at all. That is why I went to points + points. I see your point from how you place value though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.