Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2013, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CreditRocks
Keep in mind, 60K points could be worth a lot more than $400, depending on when/where you use it. For example, DT Time Square during New years was $6000+ for 4 nights but I just used 145,000 points using AXON rewards.
Good for you but this is bogus math unless you planned to spend $6000 and I have my doubts there. The practical value of 60k points is probably in 300-400 range.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
I agree with most posters, when you travel 100 nights a year 95 probably made no difference between Gold and Diamond. It is the other 5 that make for good dinner conversation when we are sitting with friends or at a hotel bar swapping travel stories. It is definately worth $400 to me.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 6:46 pm

Just an idea. If your education institution accepts AMEX why not apply for the AMEX HHonors Surpass card where $40K spend would achieve Diamond status as well as 120,000 HH points? If you are an AMEX cardholder you are eligible to use the AXON awards as well which can be quite valuable. The Surpass card does have an annual fee the is $20 higher than the Citi card. You can usually get an enrollment bonus for this card with 65K HHonors point after a minimum spend which you will certainly reach with the tuition payments.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Free night

Another thing to consider is the free night if you won't put $10K on the card otherwise. $10K in charges on the reserve cards gets you a free weekend night on your anniversary.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Originally Posted by GatorBlues
I am Gold through the HHonors Reserve Visa. I probably stay at Hiltons 15to 25 nights a year. There are large tuition payments I can put on the card to hit the spend threshold and make Diamond, but the school will require me to pay a transaction fee of almost 2% on the extra $20,000 in spend I can generate this way. In other words, it will cost me about $400 out of pocket to make Diamond by upping my spend using the tuition payments. For those of you who are Diamond, is it worth $400 in your opinion? I generally know what the available perks are, I just don't have a feel for how often upgrades are offered and how nice the perks turn out to be.
No - for such people like you! If a person asks such a question, I am always unsure if I should think it is funny or ridicoulous. Why would someone like you have a benefit of a status if he obviosly does not sleep enough in a hotel?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 5:46 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
No - for such people like you! If a person asks such a question, I am always unsure if I should think it is funny or ridicoulous. Why would someone like you have a benefit of a status if he obviosly does not sleep enough in a hotel?
If your point is that 25 nights isn't enough stays to make the status worthwhile, then thank you for your response. I have wondered that too.

However, it appears that your response is simply a petty quip over the fact that I am able to earn status by putting enough spend on my credit card, as the Hilton rules allow. "Someone like me" has $150K in business spend to move around to whatever credit cards I deem worthwhile. The credit card companies offer perks to get my spend, and the card companies pay the airlines and hotel chains to secure the perks they offer to cardholders. If you don't like it, take your complaint up with Hilton. When someone lashes out at those who are simply earning status under Hilton's rules, I am always unsure if I should think it is funny or ridiculous.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 7:42 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I am always unsure if I should think it is funny or ridiculous.
They don't have to be mutually exclusive.......
Old Jan 30, 2013, 8:26 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
The only way I could see to figure a way to make it not worth it is if all your stays are at cheap Hampton or Homewood Suites properties, otherwise the value of 60k points plus Diamond benefits will easily exceed $400.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
I would have said no, but last week, I checked into a Hilton and they said, "Oh, you are a Diamond, go up to the Executive Lounge to check in." They upgraded me to a terrific suite -- nice living room with a glass wall overlooking the city/park, work area, huge enclosed bedroom with sliding double doors, big bathroom (so many doors it took me a while to find the toilet) and a large jacuzzi in its own room overlooking the city. It sort of reminded me of the kind of room a basketball player and his two female friends share. When I checked out, the person in the lounge asked me if I liked the room and I said, it was fabulous but it was too bad my wife isn't here. I'm going to try to bring her on my next trip. And she said, let me know and I'll try to get you an upgrade if I can. That is surely worth $400.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
The Bentley is Miami is $1,200 a night plus tax in March when I want to go. Called the diamond desk and they were able to get me an axon of 145K for the 4 nights.

So diamond was well worth $400 to me on this stay alone. And before calculating taxes in, each point is worth 3.3 cents on the stay and probably more like 3.5 when you factor in what the taxes would be ($4,800 divided by 145,000 points).

For some of these rates I have been getting lately I am thinking I should charge an IRS payment and my property taxes and pay the 2.3%. If I am realizing even 3 cents per point, at 3 pts/$ charge that is a 9 percent return. Not bad.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:04 pm
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
If your point is that 25 nights isn't enough stays to make the status worthwhile, then thank you for your response. I have wondered that too.

However, it appears that your response is simply a petty quip over the fact that I am able to earn status by putting enough spend on my credit card, as the Hilton rules allow. "Someone like me" has $150K in business spend to move around to whatever credit cards I deem worthwhile. The credit card companies offer perks to get my spend, and the card companies pay the airlines and hotel chains to secure the perks they offer to cardholders. If you don't like it, take your complaint up with Hilton. When someone lashes out at those who are simply earning status under Hilton's rules, I am always unsure if I should think it is funny or ridiculous.
Spending $150K every now and then and still so worried over mere $400?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum Elite
So far I have not seen any benefit to being a Diamond with Hilton, Marriott is another story though IMO and far more benefit.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:24 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SvnTwoo
So far I have not seen any benefit to being a Diamond with Hilton, Marriott is another story though IMO and far more benefit.
You need to contact HHonors immediately then, you should be receiving a 50% bonus on all base points as well as all your MyWay Benefits when staying at Hilton, Doubletree, HGI, Conrad, and W-A properties.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by TTL
Spending $150K every now and then and still so worried over mere $400?
It's $150K per year, not $150K every now and then, and most of those dollars are business expenses for the business I own. My actual profits/take home income are in a range where I do need to worry about $400. And, based on how I was raised, I would likely still worry about $400 even if I was earning much more than I do.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles
You need to contact HHonors immediately then, you should be receiving a 50% bonus on all base points as well as all your MyWay Benefits when staying at Hilton, Doubletree, HGI, Conrad, and W-A properties.
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.