Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:53 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Sorry for any confusion...here's the final clarification...

The weekend night reward code will be delivered 6-8 weeks after passing the $10,000 spend threshold. This is the same process Hilton and Citi have been using. We will continue that process with Citi until January 30th and will use the same process with Amex beginning January 30, 2018.

Thank you!
Lauren
Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative

The weekend night reward code will be delivered 6-8 weeks after passing the $10,000 spend threshold. This is the same process Hilton and Citi have been using. We will continue that process with Citi until January 30th and will use the same process with Amex beginning January 30, 2018.

Thank you!
Lauren
Maybe I am just slow, but I don't think this helped. Citi has never used the 6-8 weeks after the spend threshold is met, it has always been up to 6-8 weeks after the account anniversary date. I think, if I am understanding you right, all cards will convert this process to the new AMEX process (6-8 weeks after spend threshold) on January 30, which would mean that the free night would be issued within 6-8 weeks after January 30, if the spend threshold was exceeded prior to January 30. Is that right?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

Thank you!
Lauren
Thank you Lauren. I've already spent the $10,000 on my Citi Hilton Reserve Visa card. My renewal date is usually in February, and usually I don't get the free night until I renew and pay the annual fee on my Citi card. The free night then comes 6 weeks later, in April.

Am I required to convert the card and pay the $95 annual fee for an AMEX card in order to get the free night? I don't want an AMEX card. I already have one. I travel internationally a lot and AMEX isn't widely accepted outside the USA.

When the Citi visa card is discontinued, I will want to get a new Visa card, I don't want a new AMEX card. Will I receive the free night even if I don't want to convert and pay the annual fee for the AMEX?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold

Thank you!
Lauren
Lauren,

The Citi certificate had been posted 6-8 weeks after the payment of the annual fee at the end of the card year not once the $10,000 had been passed (otherwise I am about 5 months overdue for the certificate as my spend was completed months ago).

The real question is when this year certificate will be given for those of us who have annual fee coming in the next couple of months.

My annual fee is up in December. I would like to know when my certificate would be posted, as I would like to cancel the card as soon as possible. Having already two Amex Surpass cards, I really don't need a third one and the only reason the Citi card is still open is that I'm due the certificate. Of course much more complicated issue is that the time I'll have to cancel (based on past experience on when the certificate post) will likely be after the transition - would Amex refund the annual fee I've paid to Citi?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
Lauren,

The Citi certificate had been posted 6-8 weeks after the payment of the annual fee at the end of the card year not once the $10,000 had been passed (otherwise I am about 5 months overdue for the certificate as my spend was completed months ago).

The real question is when this year certificate will be given for those of us who have annual fee coming in the next couple of months.

My annual fee is up in December. I would like to know when my certificate would be posted, as I would like to cancel the card as soon as possible. Having already two Amex Surpass cards, I really don't need a third one and the only reason the Citi card is still open is that I'm due the certificate.
I'm in the same situation and I'm sure others are too. Visa cards and AMEX cards are not interchangeable, and it's not fair if Hilton says "just convert your Visa card to AMEX and pay the annual fee to get your certificate." The certificates should be sent to anyone who has spent the $10,000 on the Visa, whether they want an AMEX card or not.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:31 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Hi all,

Confirming receipt of the handful of questions you posted since yesterday. Need to follow up with a few folks so will post on Monday once I hear back.

Thanks and have a good weekend,
Lauren
Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:51 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Thank you Lauren. I've already spent the $10,000 on my Citi Hilton Reserve Visa card. ...
Am I required to convert the card and pay the $95 annual fee for an AMEX card in order to get the free night? ... Will I receive the free night even if I don't want to convert and pay the annual fee for the AMEX?

Kind of in same boat: I just paid my annual renewal fee for Citi (Posted 8-2017), and just met the $10k spend this last statement.

1.) When will I get the free night cert?
2.) If I cancel the Citi card prior to Amex changeover, will I still get the free night cert?
3.) If I cancel the Citi card, will my $95 I just paid 2 months ago be prorated and I'll get some of that back?

TDM (who already has an Amex, and they don't take Amex at Costco... which is why I got the Citi Visa in the first place.)
Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
I have the same question as the last few posters....free weekend night certificate for $10k spend, do we need to allow the transfer to Amex or not?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
TDM (who already has an Amex, and they don't take Amex at Costco... which is why I got the Citi Visa in the first place.)

Right. There are many, many places that take Visa but not AMEX. In foreign countries very few merchants take AMEX. Many of us don't want to pay $95 for an AMEX card. When our Citi Hilton Visa cards are canceled, we'll be looking for another Visa card, not an AMEX card.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:02 am

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
If one is an existing long term Surpass cardholder(which automatically transitions to Ascend), will it be possible to upgrade to the Aspire card, or does a new application need to be made for the Aspire card?
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
My understanding is we (Surpass card holders) will have a chance to upgrade to Aspire. That's my plan, once the dust settles and I see what upgrade offers might be introduced.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 12:12 pm

Has there been any official information or even speculation as to what will happen to those that currently have five AMEX Credit Cards prior to the Citi to AMEX conversion? There is a fairly well known AMEX rule that you cannot have more than five open AMEX credit cards at a time. If the Citi Hilton conversion will put one over that limit do we know if it will still go through? I currently am at the five limit for AMEX Credit Cards and have both Citi Hilton Surpass and Citi No-Fee Hilton Signature card so if they converted that would put me at SEVEN AMEX Credit Card.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I don't have five AmEx credit cards nor any of the AmEx Hilton products, and I am a longtime cardholder in good standing with both AmEx and Citi. However, I got an e-mail stating that my Reserve will convert to a ThankYou Preferred in January and to call to see what other options might be available if I don't want the Preferred. I was hoping to get transferred to the Ascend card automatically.

Did anyone else get the letter from Citi stating you would be moved to a ThankYou Preferred instead of the Ascend card?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
With the Ascend card, will additional cardholders be able to share the 10 annual Priority Passes, or are they only available for the primary cardholder? If they can be shared, must the primary cardholder be present at a PP Lounge, or can the additional cardholders use them on their own.
Ascend card members receive 10 free Priority Pass visits per year. The primary cardholder must be present and can use them with guests traveling. Once all ten are used up, each additional visit is $27.
Lauren
The ability to hand out the 10 Priority Pass passes would have been the only benefit of me keeping this card. If I have to be present, it isn't something I need as I can already guest in two people to Delta Skyclub, AMEX Centurian, and Property Pass Lounges. I don't really care about "saving" a sign on bonus for Ascend so will wait until it shows up in the mail and immediately call AMEX to cancel.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:29 pm
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
Originally Posted by Majuki
Did anyone else get the letter from Citi stating you would be moved to a ThankYou Preferred instead of the Ascend card?
Yes, I posted the details over in the Citi thread: Citi Hilton Honors cards going away by end of 2017

My situation in summary: already have Amex Surpass card, high credit score, good prior history with AmEx. I was happy not to get a duplicate AmEx but will probably cancel the Citi card once the free night and $40k diamond post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.