Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Am I being ridiculous holding onto Hilton for the Embassy Suites Breakfast?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2017, 11:57 am
Original Poster

So I travel enough for work to hit gold with either Marriot or Hilton. I have both currently. Hilton from stays and Marriott from an SPG package the wife bought.

I keep seeing that more people tend to go with Marriot because the points go further and the family travels a lot now. The thing is, we love to stay at Embassy Suites for the breakfast when we travel. It’s my only reluctance to skip on Hilton and try Marriott for a year.

What do you think? Are we missing a lot of extra nights or nicer rooms in general just to have the (usually) better breakfast on vacations?

Inputs are appreciated!
Old Jan 31, 2017, 12:35 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, bille2021
I am moving your thread to the FT Hilton Forum.
Please follow there...
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bille2021
I keep seeing that more people tend to go with Marriot because the points go further and the family travels a lot now.
Don't understand that comment. The earn is generally much better with Hilton. I find Marriott to be the most difficult of the major programs to earn free nights. Otherwise the programs are similar as a Gold so if you like the Embassy Suites breakfast that's as good a reason as any to stick with Hilton.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:55 pm

I wouldn't consider breakfast at any of the many dozens of ES properties I've stayed at to be anything memorable. Standard institutionalized food service, with very few exceptions.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
It's not at all ridiculous that you stick with HH because of Embassy Suites. ES has a lot of good things going. Kids love the wide-open breakfast buffet. Many adults do, too. The evening bar reception is also very popular with many adults. And the room layout, with a bedroom behind a door from the living room with its sofabed, works well for families with kids.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
It's not at all ridiculous that you stick with HH because of Embassy Suites. ES has a lot of good things going. Kids love the wide-open breakfast buffet. Many adults do, too. The evening bar reception is also very popular with many adults. And the room layout, with a bedroom behind a door from the living room with its sofabed, works well for families with kids.
I second this. Before I had any kind of status, we loved Embassy Suites because of the suite concept and included breakfast. Traveling with a family (wife and kids), a suite with a door separating the bedroom and sofa bed/ living room is a must. Another plus for that kind of setup is the 2 tvs! The kids can watch their cartoons in the living room and we can watch something else in the bedroom.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Don't understand that comment. The earn is generally much better with Hilton.
The value per dollar spent is higher with Marriott. The math changes for some people when Marriott points can no longer become a Southwest Companion Pass, but that was never part of my own math to begin with. (But close to a million UA and AA miles over the course of 15 years definitely are. )

But...if you're a huge Embassy user, Marriott doesn't always have a great answer for that. SHS is a good match if you like the floor space, but not if you want the near-full-service amenities of ES. Newer Courtyards have added amenities, but lack the floor space and elite status recognition (if that matters to you, which it probably does if you want to eat breakfast). Residence Inn is fine but that's pretty much an equal match for Homewood...no real reason to go all-Marriott just for that brand.

ES, HGI, and elite recognition at Hilton resorts are the main reasons I split between Marriott and Hilton.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I find Embassy Suites receptions and breakfasts often chaotic and inefficient. I try to avoid them, other than downtown Portland, OR.

(BOS is especially dreary)
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by pinniped
But...if you're a huge Embassy user, Marriott doesn't always have a great answer for that. SHS is a good match if you like the floor space, but not if you want the near-full-service amenities of ES. Newer Courtyards have added amenities, but lack the floor space and elite status recognition (if that matters to you, which it probably does if you want to eat breakfast). Residence Inn is fine but that's pretty much an equal match for Homewood...no real reason to go all-Marriott just for that brand.
I was a HH loyalist years ago largely because of ES. A work colleague and I would try to stay at ES as much as possible. We loved the manager's reception and the usually-decent restaurant in the lobby. And the manager's reception beforehand. Did I mention that already?

Anyway, there is nothing in the Marriott portfolio that matches ES. SHS is only comparable in that both it and ES have "Suites" in their names. SHS rooms are smaller and not divided. The breakfast buffet has fewer choices, there's no restaurant for dinner, and of course, there's no manager's reception. I think RI is actually closer to ES, in that its suites have a bedroom door. But of course its breakfast buffet is still slightly less varied and it doesn't have that all-important manager's reception.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 6:17 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by pinniped
The value per dollar spent is higher with Marriott.
My math does not support that conclusion at all. Particularly when you factor in the really crappy Marriott promos compared to Hilton. No matter how I slice and dice the numbers, the Hilton rebate is always higher.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bille2021
So I travel enough for work to hit gold with either Marriot or Hilton. I have both currently. Hilton from stays and Marriott from an SPG package the wife bought.

I keep seeing that more people tend to go with Marriot because the points go further and the family travels a lot now. The thing is, we love to stay at Embassy Suites for the breakfast when we travel. It’s my only reluctance to skip on Hilton and try Marriott for a year.

What do you think? Are we missing a lot of extra nights or nicer rooms in general just to have the (usually) better breakfast on vacations?

Inputs are appreciated!
I like ES because of self-service laundry facilities, which enables me to pack less and spend far less on laundry service.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I find Embassy Suites receptions and breakfasts often chaotic and inefficient. I try to avoid them, other than downtown Portland, OR.
I second this. Except in a few locations where the ES is the best HHonors property in town, I'd prefer a Hilton, Doubletree, or HGI. At properties where breakfast is by voucher/list, it tends to be a bit more civilized, most of the time.

I think my worst ES breakfast experience was at Niagara Falls.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger

(BOS is especially dreary)
Originally Posted by aztimm
I second this. Except in a few locations where the ES is the best HHonors property in town, I'd prefer a Hilton, Doubletree, or HGI. At properties where breakfast is by voucher/list, it tends to be a bit more civilized, most of the time.

I think my worst ES breakfast experience was at Niagara Falls.
Wholeheartedly agree. If you are gold or higher, aim for places that don't give out breakfast to all guests. ES, HI and places where breakfast is free for everyone can be a zoo at certain times.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Unless the joint is being slammed for peak season or event traffic, I haven't found Hampton or Homewood as chaotic.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
While every hotel had different layouts many of the residence inns have layouts that are conducive to families. They typically have a one or two bedrooms with doors and separate bathrooms connected by a living area and a kitchen. Usually the sitting room also has a sofa bed. They offer managers receptions in the evening except for Friday's and weekends. The breakfast is better than a fairfield or a Hampton inn. The only downside is related to points which are earned at half rate at residence inn.

In addition to pool and fitness centers many RI also have basketball courts and outdoor grills.

Most of my travel is leisure with my spouse and kids and the RI has been a great fit.

In the last year I have been spending more time at Hilton properties and I'm starting to really like the brands so I understand the pull to stay with what is familiar (me not wanting to leave Marriott for Hilton, you wanting to move to Marriott from Hilton
) I have my first stay at a full serve Hilton next week so I am looking forward to seeing how they treat me as a diamond because so far Hilton had been very proactive (I don't mention it t say anything about my status). In recognizing me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.