Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Am I being ridiculous holding onto Hilton for the Embassy Suites Breakfast?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I being ridiculous holding onto Hilton for the Embassy Suites Breakfast?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2017, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by bille2021
So I travel enough for work to hit gold with either Marriot or Hilton. I have both currently. Hilton from stays and Marriott from an SPG package the wife bought.

I keep seeing that more people tend to go with Marriot because the points go further and the family travels a lot now. The thing is, we love to stay at Embassy Suites for the breakfast when we travel. Its my only reluctance to skip on Hilton and try Marriott for a year.

What do you think? Are we missing a lot of extra nights or nicer rooms in general just to have the (usually) better breakfast on vacations?

Inputs are appreciated!
If you're holding onto Hilton Gold simply for the Embassy Suites breakfast, yes you're being ridiculous because everyone who stays at ES gets the breakfast. It's simply part of everyone's room rate.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
My math does not support that conclusion at all. Particularly when you factor in the really crappy Marriott promos compared to Hilton. No matter how I slice and dice the numbers, the Hilton rebate is always higher.
I guess it's all about how you use the points... I get max bang-for-buck on Marriott, but often a better experience at Hilton. YMMV.

Of course, both of these programs are about to go through big structural changes. The Marriott/WN CP gravy train ends Dec 31, 2018. The whole Marriott/SPG program will likely be totally different. Hilton is spinning their recent changes as user-friendly, but how long will those existing category max rates stay in place if the whole concept of category goes away? Today, Conrad Maldives is 95k. In the category system, you'd expect minor stair-step devaluations over time. In this system, who's to say it won't be 300k/nt. in one year?

On Marriott/SPG, I'll probably draw down my balance this year. Maybe pull out 132k UA and 120k BA (I just did 120k WN), even if doing so means that I'll have to do my hotel stays in 2018 at legacy-Marriott brands. With Hilton, I did a lot of 2016 redemption so I don't have many points (under 200k) exposed to the current changes.

Historically, I've always gotten a ton out of Marriott...including much of my lifetime AA status...but who knows what the future will hold.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
If you're holding onto Hilton Gold simply for the Embassy Suites breakfast, yes you're being ridiculous because everyone who stays at ES gets the breakfast. It's simply part of everyone's room rate.
Sounds like the OP uses Hilton for business trips and then spends the points at ES on vacation.

Since everybody can easily get Gold with zero stays anyway, I assume his dilemma is more about the points than the status.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
No opinion, though I have to applaud you for thinking of what you actually use/get practical value from in a program, rather then what you get, but would probably never use. @:-) :-::-::-:
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by 7Continents
No opinion, though I have to applaud you for thinking of what you actually use/get practical value from in a program, rather then what you get, but would probably never use. @:-) :-::-::-:
Agree. Nothing that ES offers (breakfast, alcohol, suites) appeals to me (strict vegetarian, teetotaler, solo traveler) in the least. But that's why there are different brands. In a parallel universe, I can imagine the value one might see in an Embassy Suites.

At the risk of sounding like the grumpy old man I am, I would rather see the family choosing Embassy Suites instead of paying some small incremental cost to get lounge access for mom, dad, their five kids, (grand)parents, some friends...all toting sacks for a take-out lunch to hold them until lounge dinner.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sleuth
I like ES because of self-service laundry facilities, which enables me to pack less and spend far less on laundry service.
Not the OP's primary point, but just to note that in my experience RI, TPS and Courtyard also have a self-serve laundry. I haven't bothered to look or ask, but I presume SHS would as well as low-end, limited service hotel. And I assume no full-service Ritz-Carlton, Marriott or JW would have a self-serve laundry as they should have laundry service.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 11:32 pm

In my opinion the Marriott program is challenging to earn "free nights"; however, I think some (50%) of the RI's are the most family friendly places we stay for reasons mentioned above. There seems to be different generations of layouts with newer being better than some of the older ones. We do a lot of 2 bedroom suites with Adults in one br, 2 girls in the other, and my son stuck on the sleeper sofa. Everyone has their own TV which is a huge deal in our household because we have Basic Cable at home...aka - reception of 5 channels

PS - We do a fair amount of ES too; however, we find Residence Inn more family oriented while I like ES for longer solo stays.

Last edited by rowsign; Feb 2, 2017 at 11:33 pm Reason: adding PS
Old Feb 3, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I agree that family travelers who like ES should also consider Marriott's RI brand. True, RI doesn't have ES's manager's reception with free drinks-- a major selling point for ES in many people's eyes-- but that's also a good thing.

The free drinks attract crowds in the evening, making the manager's reception a zoo at some properties. "Dad and Mom can get drunk for free" increases the number of unsupervised children running around in the evenings. This makes the pool and gym harder to use and can create a noise problem into the later evening due to the interior atrium setup of most ES properties. In addition, the free drinks offer attracts more of a party-minded clientele overall than witnessed at other hotels.

By comparison RI attracts boring people. It's lots of business travelers, and not the kind who are looking to get liquored up on the cheap. For a family with younger children it may be a better environment.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
"Marriott Suites" properties

There are a number of these including multiple in suburban D.C., Atlanta, multiple in suburban Chicago, Anaheim, Clearwater Beach, Las Vegas, and others. Breakfast is comped only for plats/golds, but is generally a buffet similar to ES. No afternoon reception, but full service bar and restaurant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.