Search

Conrad Osaka {JPN}

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 11:02 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Aloha1
Travel question for those who have stayed. Arriving at Shin-Osaka late Sunday morning from Tokyo. Options to get to Conrad are:
- JR to Osaka Station, then walk with luggage to hotel
- JR to Osaka Station then connect to Yotsubashi Subway at Nishi-Umeda for Higobashi and walk to hotel
- JR to Osaka Station and cab to hotel

There will be 4 of us, each with one larger suitcase (29"). I have heard the walk is not too bad and that you can stay underground most of the way but I cannot find specific directions. Also, by the time we walk to Nishi-Umeda it looks like we wouldn't be too far to keep walking as opposed to the subway. All advice appreciated.
If you are prepared to walk, you might as well take the metro Midosuji line (red) from Shin-Osaka to Yodoyabashi and walk from there, rather than messing about trying to change at Umeda. The walk looks fairly simple on Google Street View.

Otherwise just take a cab the whole way. I haven't taken a taxi in Osaka but googling says it should be around 2000 yen (and there are 4 of you).
Old May 21, 2019, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi Aloha1,

We sent our luggage by luggage delivery service the day before to the Conrad from the hilton Tokyo bay so we only had a carry on. ( our luggage was in our room when we arrived)

From the Shinkansen at Shin-osaka we took the JR line to Osaka station them a taxi to the Conrad ( might be useful to have a print out of the address but we had no problems). Form osaka station it was about 5mins and c Y700.

Although it looks relatively close it is a surprising distance from Nishi-umeda to the hotel ( the underground passages can seem to go on for ever ( esp with bulky luggage)

You might not get 4 people with 4 large suitcases into a standard taxi

Regards

TBS

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; May 21, 2019 at 11:41 am
Old May 21, 2019, 3:57 pm

I'm very much a city walker. I walk everywhere and cover 15-20 miles most days when touristingg. And I wouldn't walk that trip with luggage.

We did it back and forth once to twice a day for our recent stay and It's not convenient when the taxi is about 2000Y if you have luggage.

The ups and downs would be annoying. It's potentially covered but easy to get lost. The street level would be crowded and it just doesn't seem fun.

But- it's 100% doable with about 15-20 min walk with luggage.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by :D!
If you are prepared to walk, you might as well take the metro Midosuji line (red) from Shin-Osaka to Yodoyabashi and walk from there, rather than messing about trying to change at Umeda. The walk looks fairly simple on Google Street View.
I did that. And took the wrong exit passageway, ended up not just at the wrong end, but looking at a flight of stairs only with no escalator or elevator to be seen. My wife was already worn out that day and not happy. We ended up hailing a taxi at street level. Somewhere around 750JPY from there to the Conrad.
Cynicor likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 5:34 pm

Relying on escalators or lifts in Japan is not a good idea for the multitude of underground tunnels. WIth so many entrances everywhere there are a few but it's probably 1 in 4 to 1 in 8 exits that would have mechanised transport.
Old May 22, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Thanks to all for your input. Looks like we'll take JR from Shin Osaka to Osaka Station (only 2 tracks apart) and cab it from there.
Since we'll be using Osaka Station for day trips (no luggage), what's the best way from the hotel to get to the station? Walk, if so directions. Or bus, again what directions?

Last edited by Aloha1; May 22, 2019 at 7:07 am Reason: SP
Old May 22, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
This is what we did when we stayed at the Conrad, and honestly we found it absolutely fine. We had very manageable rollaboards, which definitely helped, but it's not a difficult or complicated walk. I doubt it's any further than from the furthest gate at HND to passport control...
arlflyer likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:15 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Aloha1
Since we'll be using Osaka Station for day trips (no luggage), what's the best way from the hotel to get to the station?
If you really need to get to JR Osaka then I would walk. Download maps to your phone and use the GPS.... But why not take the metro from stations closer to the hotel? The Conrad is also very close to Watanabebashi station on the Keihan railway (to Kyoto)
Old May 22, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
If you really need to get to JR Osaka then I would walk. Download maps to your phone and use the GPS.... But why not take the metro from stations closer to the hotel? The Conrad is also very close to Watanabebashi station on the Keihan railway (to Kyoto)
From what I can see only the Yotsubashi line connects from the hotel to Osaka and that's at Nishi-osaka so we still have to walk. How far is the walk from the hotel to the Yodoyabashi metro stop on the Midosuji line?
Old May 22, 2019, 8:48 pm

From the hotel to JR Osaka it's simple. Can do above or below ground, we mostly stayed above and that was in winter. Out the hotel via either side, walk to the main road and then all the way straight to Osaka St.
Old May 28, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: Delta DM, MM
Just back from a weekend at the Conrad. Here is my 2 cents, for what it is worth. Even though we have been to Japan many times, arriving at Osaka Station was overwhelming after a long flight. Instead of walking to the hotel, we followed signs to the taxi station and took a taxi to the hotel. It was rush hour and it took 15 minutes and 1200 yen. That was the last time we took a taxi. It is a 5 minute walk from the hotel to Osaka station above ground, and a little longer underground. Either way it is a straight shot. Upon leaving the underground walk, there is 1 flight of stairs with no escalator or elevator. I would not recommend it at morning or evening rush hour as it is packed. Otherwise, either way is a pleasant walk, shop[ping and restaurants along the way. On heading back to KIX, we walked to Osaka station with rollerbags. Simple walk, just too difficult to figure out after a long flight.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:23 am

We've decided on this route. Picking up Suica cards in Tokyo which are also good in Osaka for subway. Arrive at Shin-Osaka and taking Midosuji Line to Yodoyabashi Station then 8 minute walk to Conrad. Sound like a good plan?
Old May 30, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: Honors Diamond; AA Ex Plat; AS MVP 75K
Originally Posted by FC flyer
Just back from a weekend at the Conrad. Here is my 2 cents, for what it is worth. Even though we have been to Japan many times, arriving at Osaka Station was overwhelming after a long flight. Instead of walking to the hotel, we followed signs to the taxi station and took a taxi to the hotel. It was rush hour and it took 15 minutes and 1200 yen. That was the last time we took a taxi. It is a 5 minute walk from the hotel to Osaka station above ground, and a little longer underground. Either way it is a straight shot. Upon leaving the underground walk, there is 1 flight of stairs with no escalator or elevator. I would not recommend it at morning or evening rush hour as it is packed. Otherwise, either way is a pleasant walk, shop[ping and restaurants along the way. On heading back to KIX, we walked to Osaka station with rollerbags. Simple walk, just too difficult to figure out after a long flight.
​​​​​​​In looking at Google Maps with the transit layer I see the red outline of the stations in detail. Are you saying there is a way to walk entirely underground from the JR Osaka (not shin) station to the Conrad?
Old May 30, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: Delta DM, MM
No, you have to come above ground for the last block
BLazarus22 likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:42 pm

"It is a 5 minute walk from the hotel to Osaka station above ground, and a little longer underground."

That so surprisingly quick.. I'd say around 10 minutes on street level without luggage. We took more like 15 with two young kids in tow.

Note for those who prefer to connect from metro, there is lift access from the platform through to the concourse and up to street level (taking you to the street level and right next to the discreet entrance to Conrad Osaka). When on the platform, look for the exit which leads you to Nakanoshima Festival building. We only discovered this on our second last day at Conrad.

We, too, were far too tired and planned to take a cab on our first night as we were coming up from Sydney, Australia with 2 kids and luggages, Limousine Bus from Kansai to Herbis stop... Then a quick cab to Conrad. There's nothing like showing up at a luxury hotel and being greeted by bell staff who instantly recognised us (from their guest list) and helped take our luggage up to our rooms... Cab ride from Herbis was approx 850¥.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.