Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Tropicana Las Vegas - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel {US-NV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Tropicana Las Vegas - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel {US-NV}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by hhonors fan
The platinum lounge for check-in/out is only for Diamond members, not Golds. There is a separate Hilton Honors check-in line at the front desk, but it is for all levels of Hilton Honors.

Also, I checked out last Monday 1/21, and my points have still not posted. I just called the Diamond Desk and gave them my conf # and they could not even find the reservation. I had to forward them my confirmation email and now I get to wait 5-10 business days for a response........yay!
What is it with HH points and Vegas properties??

There have been complaints of the Elara not posting points. I remember there was a problem with the points never calculating correctly at the LVH. I have had probelms with points not posting at the HGVC on Karen and having to call the diamond desk. Now Trop?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by MrHilton
This is because Nicole did mention their platinium lounge ... And that is their VIP lounge..
Ah, then that should be accessible.

Truthfully, there has been so much back and forth regarding what they do/don't offer that I can't keep track anymore.

My Vegas Hilton property has always been the HGI about a mile south of Mandalay Bay. I do not see that changing.

Mike
Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Man oh man, this thread just gets more and more confusing as we go....
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:26 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Review After Stay Last Weekend

Arrival: I arrived via taxi from LAS. The fare was about $12 and the taxi driver took the correct route and was about 10 minutes.

Check In: I had read about the ability of Diamond members to use the Platinum check in lounge but there was not much of a line at the front desk (arrived about 11.30PM) so used that instead. I was cheerfully greeted by the front desk agent who thanked me for being a Hilton Honors Diamond member and informed me I was upgraded to a suite. She then gave me breakfast coupons and details about the property. I asked about the resort fee being waived for Diamonds and she looked at the screen and said it was. A very nice check in experience I though.

Room: There are a couple of towers at the property and possibly three as they seem to have a grouping of rooms that appear to be about three stories tall in what appears to be some sort of garden style rooms. I was in the club tower which is in the back part of the property. I have no idea if this tower is better or worse than the one that is right off the hotel entrance but my suite was very nice. Very well decorated with plantation shutters, mini fridge, Keurig coffee brewer, two larger LCD style TV's, two large vanities and a nice dry bar area. It is a great room for entertaining. The bed was very comfortable also. The only thing I did not like was the shampoo and lotion provided in the room. It was of very cheap quality I though.

Gaming: I am not a huge gambler but their gaming club had a pretty good promotion going on so I did take advantage of it and did pretty well with the bonuses offered. I found the gaming area to be just big enough but not so large like some of the larger properties where you get lost because the place is so big. I found the gaming area to be well maintained and not overly crowded.

Dining: This is the only area that I was not entirely pleased. First, I usually arrive late in the Vegas and like when the hotel has a 24 hour cafe that has a varied menu to get a nice meal at a late hour so I dont have to leave the property and just do some gambling and drinking on site. Well, this particular weekend they were doing some work in the Beach Cafe so it was closed and they only had the Beach Food Court available. I really did not want to "dine" at the food court but it was raining (doesnt happen much in Vegas) so I didnt want to go walking and just had it anyways. It wasnt bad but really was just burgers and pizza type stuff. I then got a look at the Beach Cafe menu and it appeared to be the same as what you could get at the food court. I would have hoped for a better menu in their cafe as it appeared to be a nice place. The Asian options looked very "typical" and the western options of burgers and pizza is definitely "typical". Breakfast the next morning was at Biscayne the Steak restaurant and it was pretty good actually. I was very happy with the quality and the selection of the buffet. I dont know that I would consider it good value at $19.95 and I paid $10 to make up for the difference between continental breakfast coupon I had and the full breakfast. I did not eat at the Biscayne or Bacio (Italian) restaurants but they both looked nice if not expensive. Room service was pretty pathetic if you ask me. Just a small little plastic card with a few items listed on it.

Internet: It is included in the resort fee and it actually worked well when you connected to the correct network. It was confusing as there was two networks, Cox-Tropicana-Rooms and Rooms-Tropicana-Cox. One worked but the other didnt and nothing that told you which one to connect to that I could find.

Bars: They have some cheesy chill bar or something like that which I found tacky to be honest but get what they are going for as it fits the tropical theme. There is also another bar area with live music etc which looked nicer and a little more interesting but I did not spend much time there as I ended up gambling more than expected. They also have a place off the main entrance called the Bagatelle Supper Club but didnt notice it or until I was leaving and never saw any kind of advertising about it while there so cant say what it actually offers.

Departure: I did not check out at the front desk because I never do. I did check my bill before leaving and it looked correct and the breakfast was adjusted correctly and the resort fee was reversed as well.

Conclusion: I will probably be back especially if I can get that room upgrade in the future. I really wish there was more interesting food in the Beach Cafe as I am in town only for a small amount of time and prefer to just dine at the hotel. I will most likely walk across the street to the MGM for food on future stays. I found the employees pretty friendly and enthusiastic about the new management agreement with Hilton and also the renovations in general.

Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:29 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...

Old Jan 30, 2013, 5:45 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta MM; HH Diamond, Starwood Platinum, ICH Platinum Ambassador, Hertz Gold
Thanks mcgahat for the review and photos. I think I will give the hotel a try.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 5:51 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Did anyone receive any reply on their mails to Nicole the last few days? I have sent a mail over a week ago and did not yet receive a reply ..
Old Jan 30, 2013, 7:42 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Great pics. Thanks for posting.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Thanks for posting the pics and reviews.

Does anyone know if the voucher for breakfast is good anytime or does it have to be used on breakfast items?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 8:42 am

Great review^. Thank you
Old Jan 30, 2013, 8:54 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Thanks mc.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: AC*SE & 2MM/Bonvoy Gold/HHonors Diamond
I am shocked this is the Tropicana.

I remember the pre-renovation days
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by MrHilton
Did anyone receive any reply on their mails to Nicole the last few days? I have sent a mail over a week ago and did not yet receive a reply ..
From prior experience, it appears that Nicole does not check, respond to emails, forum posts and PMs in real time. You might want to leave her a voicemail at the property, let her know you sent a message, are waiting for a reply - seemed to work for me.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Great review! Gives great perspective. Thank you!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Hilton Gold, Lindy Award Winner (2013)
Nice review and pictures.

While looking at the pictures, the one of the hallway (number thirteen) reminding me of the movie "The Shining".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.