Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Family MVP Rate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Family MVP Rate

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2010, 2:30 pm

Programs: Airtran A+ Elite, SPG Preferred Plus, Hilton HHonors Gold, AGR
are you able to renew gold status with MVP or is it just for first timers?

Also I believe i read rewards stays count towards the 4 stays needed? is this correct? can anyone confirm? thanks in advance everyone.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
MVP is usually 20% as noted. I've never found a Homewood Suites to offer an MVP rate. Hamptons are hit or miss. HGIs, Hiltons, and ES seem to generally have the MVP rate. MVP stays count for status just like any qualifying paid stay.

AAA seems to be typically 5% or 10%, but I have occasionally found exceptional AAA discount rates. Examples are the Beverly Hilton a year ago and the ES LAX North a couple of months ago. The latter came and went on almost a daily basis, but was 25% off the BAR rate as I recall.

David
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:48 pm

"I've never found a Homewood Suites to offer an MVP rate."

I have stayed in Homewood Suites at an MVP Rate, which has beaten all other rates, in Tukwila, WA and Salt Lake City, UT.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:16 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I see Homewood MVP rates all the time. And as I've noted elsewhere, Homewood is the only one who has the verbiage in the rate rules about having to show press credentials; the rest of the HHonors hotels don't say that.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Southwest Rapid Rewards
I tried it recently and was asked for press credentials. I offered an ID but I must have had a saavy clerk who looked at me sheepishly and offered the best available rate. Oh well! I have had luck with some corporate codes...
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:04 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

At a Homewood?

I just had a stay at a Doubletree this last week (where the MVP code dropped the rate from $229 to $167!) and it was check-in-as usual.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by erikbox
I tried it recently and was asked for press credentials. I offered an ID but I must have had a saavy clerk who looked at me sheepishly and offered the best available rate. Oh well! I have had luck with some corporate codes...
Please identify the property involved. I've used MVP rates for years and this has never happened. I have not tried at a Homewood where the press credential thing is on the website.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:50 am

Programs: United, HHonors Diamond, SPG, AvisFirst
No issue here at the Short Hills Hilton using the MVP rate this past weekend. They had my HH# on-file already, but that was the only item required per the reservation text.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:53 pm

Programs: HH diamond
I thought MVP was for sports organizations. I carry my club's card just in case, never been asked. I have seen the press credential requirements on some (I'm a freelance journalist) but never been asked for anything.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
By tried it do you mean you asked for an MVP rate at the front desk or had you already made a reservation using an MVP code?
Old Aug 12, 2010, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
The more I read the more confused I get.

I have gone to the MVP website, and I find nothing posted there that mentions any particular affiliation or qualification for using the website... other than having a HHonors number.

I had called the Diamond desk to make a reservation, and inquired about the MVP rate at an ORD area hotel and was told that the hotel was not offering an MVP rate.

I then found this thread, which reminded me that I had a link to the MVP website.

Went to the website and found the hotel was offering the MVP rate. I called back to the Diamond desk, explained the situation, DD still could not find the rate, I made the reservation on-line and had the DD cancel the original reservation.

In all of my discussions with the DD, there was no mention of any restrictions on the use of the MVP rate.

I subsequently canceled another reservation and remade it at the MVP rate.

I now have two e-mails showing the two reservations, and neither have any stipulations about me having to produce anything at check-in.

I would not seek to take advantage of a situation that I did not qualify for, so what am I overlooking?
Old Aug 12, 2010, 6:30 pm
ayg

Programs: SWA A List, HH Gold, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
I've used it at probably 50 different properties domestically and never had a single word said to me...
Old Aug 12, 2010, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by ayg
I've used it at probably 50 different properties domestically and never had a single word said to me...
I actually use it legitimately and have never been asked for ID
Old Aug 12, 2010, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by ayg
True for me as well.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I would not seek to take advantage of a situation that I did not qualify for, so what am I overlooking?
Nothing.

As has been stated repeatedly, the only HHonors hotels with the "press credentials" verbiage in the rate rules are at Homewood Suites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.