Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
We've done just that twice. The first time it was 4N BV then 3N SWV (as we had never done a BV before), then the other way round the second time as the OW experience is awesome and SWVs are perfect for us since we like the unadulterated view coupled with sunset.

I suppose there are two things to consider;
1. If you've never done OWB before then you might want to choose slightly longer in the SWV. This is especially true for you since your stay is very short. You really want to maximize the time over the water.
2. If you were doing DBV >> SWV it would be a harder choice. Not that the standard BVs are not nice it's just that the amount of space you get plus the pool makes you really want to keep staying in the DBV.

Two nights is definitely not enough in a SWV IMHO. But then again I'm of the opinion that 7 nights isn't enough either, heh. My advice is yes, take the 3rd night in the SWV and leave the first 2 in the BV. You won't regret it!

Sorry, I can't remember if you've mentioned it already but is this the first time to the Maldives? And have you stayed in an OWB/OWV before?
I just emailed the hotel and we are going for 3 nights in SWV (first two in BV). Thanks for the tips. What is OWB? OWV = over water villa?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:06 pm

Over Water Bungalow. Hope you have a fantastic time! Did you check out my post on which SWV to ask for?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 1:30 pm
formerly maskelo

Smile

Originally Posted by FlugE
I tried the paddle board in February this year. At that time all non-motorized "toys" were free of charge.
Great news, thanks
Old Jun 6, 2017, 3:37 pm

So... with regards to the "Overnight stay in Malé - Resort Booking Service"

Has anyone used this service? When Conrad book the hotel on behalf of you, can you actually settle the bill to Conrad?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:48 pm

Yes. Have added that to the wiki.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Julesthom
We're here for 9 nights, until next Sunday
Hey I just checked in yesterday and am here through the 15th. We're having our honeymoon dinner tonight, and a couples massage tomorrow during tea/cocktail time, but let me know if you are around to meet up otherwise!

We are in a BV for the next 3 nights, and I had already paid to upgrade to a WV after that but they upgraded us (for free) to a Retreat WV for our honeymoon!
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by twentyfourseven
I am a little unclear as to whether there is a supplement for children on a points booking? Could someone clarify?

Also, are there any examples of three kids being allowed in a beach villa? (ours are all little, youngest being 2).
Hi I booked mine with 2 adults and 1 kid, without additional charge. Even if 2 kids is still the same points (76000 per night for 5 nights). But if I bumped that to 3 kids it will ask me to stay in a suite and with ridiculous amount of points being charged.

I recommend you just contact the Hotel about the 3rd child.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:56 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Can someone tell me if the resort have any floating noodles for buoyancy whilst snorkeling? TIA
Old Jun 7, 2017, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Can someone tell me if the resort have any floating noodles for buoyancy whilst snorkeling? TIA
I didn't see any noodles. Life vests are available. Noodles would (should) probably be discouraged... wouldn't want people losing them and having them swept out to sea.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by nattino
Hi I booked mine with 2 adults and 1 kid, without additional charge. Even if 2 kids is still the same points (76000 per night for 5 nights). But if I bumped that to 3 kids it will ask me to stay in a suite and with ridiculous amount of points being charged.

I recommend you just contact the Hotel about the 3rd child.
The rules are very clear. You cannot have three children in anything except a suite so it's no use contacting the resort.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hyperzulu
I didn't see any noodles. Life vests are available. Noodles would (should) probably be discouraged... wouldn't want people losing them and having them swept out to sea.
Ok thanks, we prefer noodles than vests; might just bring our floating flamingos instead, tie a long rope and spend the day floating in the lagoon
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:00 pm

The only thing they have resembling a noodle is on their excursion boat(s). When you do the Deserted Island Picnic excursion for example they have them so they can have 2 people hold on to them while they drag you through the water from the anchored boat towards the island. Primarily used for weak swimmers and kids who just want to look at the marine life and coral while relaxing at the same time.

As mentioned above, I think they don't have them to prevent them floating out into the ocean and polluting it even further.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 3:04 am

The hotel website said you can see manta rays under the bridge connecting 2 islands between Nov-Apr. Would it be too late, or lesser chance to see them, in the second half of April? Better luck to see in March instead? Do the manta rays come by themselves during the day? Or is it only during the night when light is shined to attract them?

In general, what is the best month you recommend to visit if my timing for this trip is flexible? No plans to do it over xmas/new year, but will the hotel be crowded during Easter period? (I would think European tourists are more likely to go on vacation, if anything, rather than North Americans, since the former have extended holidays during this time) I know dry season is supposed to be Nov-Apr, so I guess I should visit in these months to be on a safer side. My initial plan is to visit in April, because I heard the water visibility in this month is good / better, though it is super hot. Is there a month where water clarity is good but not too hot? I dont know how much less hot it can be when it is in tropical region anyway. I am not a diver, but I like to snorkel. To me, I would be disappointed if I cannot see much while underwater.

Last edited by gnomey; Jun 8, 2017 at 3:10 am
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
The hotel website said you can see manta rays under the bridge connecting 2 islands between Nov-Apr. Would it be too late, or lesser chance to see them, in the second half of April? Better luck to see in March instead?
Hard to say. Better in March.

In general, what is the best month you recommend to visit if my timing for this trip is flexible?
February or January.

No plans to do it over xmas/new year, but will the hotel be crowded during Easter period?
Yes, but it's never crowded even at 100% occupancy.....and it's at near 100% occupancy more than you'd think, i.e; most of the time!

My initial plan is to visit in April, because I heard the water visibility in this month is good / better, though it is super hot. Is there a month where water clarity is good but not too hot?
Have you looked at the weather charts? There's no 'hot' time of the year. It's steady with an on average and very minimal 3-4 degree variance in daytime temperature.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Hard to say. Better in March.

February or January.

Yes, but it's never crowded even at 100% occupancy.....and it's at near 100% occupancy more than you'd think, i.e; most of the time!

Have you looked at the weather charts? There's no 'hot' time of the year. It's steady with an on average and very minimal 3-4 degree variance in daytime temperature.

Thanks - will keep February in mind.

Yes, that's what I thought to. I was at StR BB recently and supposedly the hotel is at full capacity, but I actually felt it is quite deserted

Agree, I thought the temperature should be relatively constant since this is a tropical country near the equator. So not sure why some articles write it as X months are hotter. Maybe what they meant is less wind / rain to cool the place down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.