Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2017, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Yes, 24/7. Took pics yesterday but having trouble with hosting them on my usual provider. Do you need pics urgently? I'm going to upload them and a whole bunch of others when I get back.
What else is new.....ah, yes.....the 'Fashion Police'. They only ask guests wearing sleeveless shirts who look like they have just been to the gym to change their dress. Decisions to actually confront guests are done on a case by case basis and it's not anything like that poster was saying a couple months back.
Thanks a lot for taking the time to take the pictures and no need to hurry, whenever you find the time after your return will be fine. ^

Not looking to show up there straight from the gym or in sleeveless shirts anyways, but e.g. boardshorts (surfshorts) & t-shirt or polo would be acceptable for breakfast?
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:07 am

Just checked in to this paradise. Got a complimentary upgrade to a DBV (217) on a 10 night award stay. Private pool and the house reef just outside. So far everything has been top notch, from arrival at MLE to sipping the welcome bubbly. Now time to process all impressions...
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by ScubaRoo
Meant to say I really appreciate you doing the recon on afternoon tea, still free for Gold's and repeaters?
Originally Posted by FlugE
Just checked in to this paradise. Got a complimentary upgrade to a DBV (217) on a 10 night award stay. Private pool and the house reef just outside. So far everything has been top notch, from arrival at MLE to sipping the welcome bubbly. Now time to process all impressions...
We're next door.....216! Pop on over and have some pavlova we ordered from the pastry chef. We'll be in the villa until 8:15 island time
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR
Breakfast dress code

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
What else is new.....ah, yes.....the 'Fashion Police'. They only ask guests wearing sleeveless shirts who look like they have just been to the gym to change their dress. Decisions to actually confront guests are done on a case by case basis and it's not anything like that poster was saying a couple months back.
MaldivesFreak,

Thanks so much for all the great information you have posted. I was wondering if the sleeveless shirt enforcement is limited to male guests, as the previous poster discussed. I'm female, and when I visited the Conrad several years ago, I usually went to breakfast in casual shorts and a sleeveless or short sleeve shirt, which also served as my gym attire or swimsuit coverup, or a sleeveless dress-like swimsuit coverup. Also, is the breakfast dress code enforcement at both restaurants? Thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by goliath
I'm not sure I follow, what do you mean by "when the caps are taken away"?

Hilton says the maximum amount of points will not be increased. Conrad Rangali is even listed in their chart as an example, still costing 95k: Link

Quote:
So you really think that hilton will never ever raise the limit beyond 95K, and thus never devalue the points ? If you don't think that, then it is just a matter of when. And the "as we make this transition" just means that on the day of switching the limit will be 95K.

Once the limits ARE elminated, given this property's high occupancy, it must be one that would be likely to raise the the points price substantially for most of the year (remembering that Hilton will no longer be stating limits).
Old Feb 3, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
I will worry about that once it happens.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by tangey
So you really think that hilton will never ever raise the limit beyond 95K, and thus never devalue the points ? If you don't think that, then it is just a matter of when. And the "as we make this transition" just means that on the day of switching the limit will be 95K.

Once the limits ARE elminated, given this property's high occupancy, it must be one that would be likely to raise the the points price substantially for most of the year (remembering that Hilton will no longer be stating limits).
I think they would be foolish to do that currently or soon, given the SPG/Marriot merger. SPG has some very aspirational, all suite properties which can lift a cap on point redemptions. If Honors becomes the next SPG in terms of rewards, you may see a shift in loyalty, considering that now you have a huge portfolio of Marriot/Starwood properties, limiting the downside to loyalty with groups like Starwood and Hyatt (limited properties). If you're a business traveler, staying at a Marriot now earns you enough points throughout the year to use on an aspirational stay at an all suite resort, or you could bank the same amount of points at a Conrad which gets you into a beach villa.

Perhaps that's over simplifying, but it's a valid counter, I think.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Want some advice. Was offered an upgrade to Retreat Water Villa for a nice charge. BUT, my traveling companion and I dive and they are a very long way from anything. We try to do the morning dives and the afternoon dives and that means that we have to rush to get to Vilu before 6. From the Retreat Water Villa it would be impossible.

We are booked in the Beach Villa. In the past, we've had twin mattresses put on the frame with about 5-6 inches of space between. Which is OK. Is this no longer a possibility with the refurbishment?

Any advice on what to do?
Old Feb 3, 2017, 10:31 pm

At manneca & needtoescape: will ask for you in a few minutes after I sign out.

Also, will be at Vilu today for Happy Hour. Hope to see both FlugE and will1990 there.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by manneca
Want some advice. Was offered an upgrade to Retreat Water Villa for a nice charge. BUT, my traveling companion and I dive and they are a very long way from anything. We try to do the morning dives and the afternoon dives and that means that we have to rush to get to Vilu before 6. From the Retreat Water Villa it would be impossible.

We are booked in the Beach Villa. In the past, we've had twin mattresses put on the frame with about 5-6 inches of space between. Which is OK. Is this no longer a possibility with the refurbishment?

Any advice on what to do?
manneca - the snorkeling from the RWV, is worth the upgrade, well it was 2 years ago, reef sounds worse since then.

That's a lot of diving! Not fancy just doing morning dives and snorkeling in the pm?

To get to Vilu after a long afternoon snorkeling we would phone from the RWV and order a buggy/taxi to drive us to Vilu for the Happy Hour.

Given that you're spending $$$ on diving see if reception will prebook you a ride?

When are you at the resort, is it end of Feb? If so I may get a dive with you folks...
Old Feb 4, 2017, 2:54 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thanks both of you. ScubaRoo, we're there beginning the 16th. So hoping to get an afternoon dive in that day! Sorry we're missing MaldivesFreak.

I'm thinking about as soon as I finish the stay and collect my points of booking for the next time. I'm betting award stays soar in price.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 3:06 am

Breakfast dress code

Originally Posted by needtoescape
MaldivesFreak,

Thanks so much for all the great information you have posted. I was wondering if the sleeveless shirt enforcement is limited to male guests, as the previous poster discussed. I'm female, and when I visited the Conrad several years ago, I usually went to breakfast in casual shorts and a sleeveless or short sleeve shirt, which also served as my gym attire or swimsuit coverup, or a sleeveless dress-like swimsuit coverup. Also, is the breakfast dress code enforcement at both restaurants? Thanks!
OK, here's the final word on this and it applies both to the ladies and the gentlemen.
They don't allow swimsuits at all and don't allow obvious gym gear. They also don't allow sleeveless attire if you come to breakfast wet because you have been swimming in it or working out and sweating. That means if you are dressed in a sleeveless top but are 'dry/non-sweaty' then it will be OK. If you happen to be wearing a sleeved shirt and are sweating profusely they will also ask you to go and change. These rules apply to both Atoll Market and Vilu.

Originally Posted by manneca
In the past, we've had twin mattresses put on the frame with about 5-6 inches of space between. Which is OK. Is this no longer a possibility with the refurbishment?
Still able to do it.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Feb 14, 2017 at 10:54 am
Old Feb 4, 2017, 3:16 am
p78
Suspended

Programs: BA Silver, Aegan Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlugE
Great upgrade hope I will get the same, we will start our first stay on 15 February 10days award stay....
Old Feb 4, 2017, 3:18 am

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
@manneca - I'll be interested to hear about your favourite dive sites, particularly those that can be done in the morning as I don't have plans to dive in the afternoons unless there's a high chance of Mantas/Whalesharks

How many nights are you there for?

I agree on the likely increase in redemption rates, maybe they'll go up after April next year...?

Last edited by ScubaRoo; Feb 4, 2017 at 4:34 am
Old Feb 4, 2017, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Pawel Siewko
Great upgrade hope I will get the same, we will start our first stay on 15 February 10days award stay....
I could see the upgrade online at 24 hrs before check-in, just like most "automatic" upgrades. Have a look at your booking on Valentine's!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.