Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by extremeromance
Have visited this resort and a better place which happens to be the St Regis Maldives
A little unfair comparing it to a brand new build which also costs much more. By the way I did see that they offer pick up's from the airport in a Bentley. A nice ride for the 2 mins.

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Good! How long you there for? Any chance you can report on where the sand dredger is?
Going to be here for a week in total.
I didn't recall seeing it when I walked around the resort yesterday. Will have a proper look today.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
For those who are there now ... any updates on the snorkeling situation off of the house reef side?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Going to be here for a week in total.
I didn't recall seeing it when I walked around the resort yesterday. Will have a proper look today.
Great, thanks. If you have a camera with you and a couple of spare minutes, would you mind taking a few pics of the beaches (to see where erosion is taking place), primarily on the stretch where 101-120 are, and on the other side from about 230 up to where Mandhoo is, and also at The Quiet Zone (from the bar up towards Vilu). TIA and enjoy your holiday in paradise!
Old Jan 7, 2017, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Great, thanks. If you have a camera with you and a couple of spare minutes, would you mind taking a few pics of the beaches (to see where erosion is taking place), primarily on the stretch where 101-120 are, and on the other side from about 230 up to where Mandhoo is, and also at The Quiet Zone (from the bar up towards Vilu). TIA and enjoy your holiday in paradise!
Sure.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by mrredskin
NYC100, what type of camera did you use for those pictures?
I used a GoPro HERO4 Silver.

Notes on pools and baths:
• each pool is shaped differently. The one pictured above is, of course, the largest one that there is
• for a look at one of, if not the smallest pool among this villa type, check out the TA review and associated pics here or just click here to view the pic directly
• in the old diagrams the outdoor bath appears much larger than it actually is for each BV. Check out this pic to see what I mean
I believe the one shown by MF is not the largest, though is one of the nicest. The largest pool is not attached to the patio. From my understanding, there are 4 types of pools. The one shown above is the second largest.

Originally Posted by SponsorSFC
My wife had 2 treatments, both booked together for a morning and afternoon the following day, both had the extra 15 minutes added.
My wife went for an afternoon treatment at the Over-Water Spa but didn't receive the extra 15 minute service. As a diamond, I also didn't receive the $25 spa discount card. We did get the complimentary lounge benefit with buffet dinner included.

They replaced the in-villa dining menu around 1/3 or 1/4. I didn't realize about it until 1/5 when I was placing an order. There were some price increments, e.g. the Maldivian lobster is now $62. Previously it was in the $50s, I think MF mentioned it was the cheapest among all the outlets.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:45 pm

Hi everyone,

I just want to take the opportunity to thank you all for your contributions to this thread (especially MaldivesFreak). Having read a year+ worth of posts, I took the plunge and did a points (and free night certificate) booking for a trip from 3rd through to 11th February.

I was offered an upgrade at $295+taxes during the 40% flash sale and was lucky enough to negotiate a four night upgrade for $1000!
This will be our first time to the Maldives and needless to say, we are incredibly excited with less than four weeks to go! I've read that a few FTers are meeting for at Vilu, would be happy to meet up too...

Will
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: QF Platinum - SQ PPS - HH Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, ShangriLa Jade
Advice for first timer with kids (6 & 8)

Hi

Awesome thread.
We are staying for a week end January in a beach villa (on points, HH Diamond) with two kids aged 6&8 (well behaved and seasoned travellers )

1) do we even consider upgrading to a dbv and if so how much should we pay?
2) which bv number should i request thats best for kids. Mom and dad love snorkeling too!
3) which restaurants should we be booking for dinners and do we need to book in advance?
4) do they have a kids menu? If so, is it standard across all restaurants. Anyone taken a photo of it?
5) we were offered to upgrade to a Superier WV for $388 ex tax per night. Is it worth it with young kids and what would be a reasonable price to negotiate?

Thanks for great insights.
Rich

Last edited by richtravel; Jan 9, 2017 at 9:37 pm
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by nyc100
The largest pool is not attached to the patio.
Yes. None of them are attached. The floorplan leads us to think otherwise.

I believe the one shown by MF is not the largest, though is one of the nicest. The largest pool is not attached to the patio. From my understanding, there are 4 types of pools. The one shown above is the second largest.
The largest pools are actually at the BS(Beach Suite). As for the DBVs, did a staff member tell you this? Maybe I can add it to the wiki if we can confirm all the above.

They replaced the in-villa dining menu around 1/3 or 1/4. I didn't realize about it until 1/5 when I was placing an order. There were some price increments, e.g. the Maldivian lobster is now $62. Previously it was in the $50s, I think MF mentioned it was the cheapest among all the outlets.
Thanks for the info. I will update the wiki in Feb with new pics.

Originally Posted by will1990
Hi everyone,

I just want to take the opportunity to thank you all for your contributions to this thread (especially MaldivesFreak). Having read a year+ worth of posts, I took the plunge and did a points (and free night certificate) booking for a trip from 3rd through to 11th February.

I was offered an upgrade at $295+taxes during the 40% flash sale and was lucky enough to negotiate a four night upgrade for $1000!
This will be our first time to the Maldives and needless to say, we are incredibly excited with less than four weeks to go! I've read that a few FTers are meeting for at Vilu, would be happy to meet up too...

Will
Hi Will and welcome to FlyerTalk!

Sounds like a good deal on the upgrade. What villa type did you upgrade to and did the final amount include taxes?
We'll be there when you are there. Look forward to meeting you at Vilu! Just look for the Caucasian guy with the Asian girlfriend.

Originally Posted by richtravel
Hi

Awesome thread.
We are staying for a week end January in a beach villa (on points, HH Diamond) with two kids aged 6&8 (well behaved and seasoned travellers )

1) do we even consider upgrading to a dbv and if so how much should we pay?
2) which bv number should i request thats best for kids. Mom and dad love snorkeling too!
3) which restaurants should we be booking for dinners and do we need to book in advance?
4) do they have a kids menu? If so, is it standard across all restaurants. Anyone taken a photo of it?
5) we were offered to upgrade to a Superier WV for $388 ex tax per night. Is it worth it with young kids and what would be a reasonable price to negotiate?

Thanks for great insights.
Rich
Hi there Rich.

1. I would definitely consider upgrading to a DBV since you have kids and could do with the space. You're looking at somewhere between USD 280 - 375 (++ of course). Ask for one with a large pool.
2. Request 225 or thereabouts (220 through 230) as that will put you nearest the pathway through the coral to the dropofff at the house reef.
3. I recommend Mandhoo, Vilu and Sunset Grill. All a must IMO. Try a beach dinner as well if your budget allows (you're looking at an easy thousand for the family). I also suggest the buffet restaurant Atoll Market at least once as the kids will love it. I wouldn't bother with Ufaa if you are keen on trying genuine Chinese food (maybe with hotpot being the exception). You do need to book in advance. Previously they took bookings no more than 2 weeks in advance but 3 or 4 days ahead is fine. You'll be going in Chinese New Year so you can get away with even less notice to book tables as they mainly go for the buffet at Atoll Market. I can't say whether that applies to Ufaa or not as I don't know how heavily booked it will be at that time.
4. They do indeed have a kids menu. Standard everywhere. PM me and I'll send the latest version to you by email.
5. I'm surprised you were offered an upgrade to a SWV as maximum occupancy is 3 adults or 2 adults and 1 child. As for the price, in high season a Beach Villa to Superior Water Villa upgrade is anywhere from 320 - 562 (exclusive of taxes, see the wiki for more info) so the offer is pretty good. If they do let 2 kids stay with you (highly unlikely but you never know) then it will be crowded but there are the various advantages that you have with an OWV. You can take the kids to Majaa (kids club) and leave them there for a while if you want some quiet time with your SO.

Does your stay overlap into February? If so, let's meet up at Vilu Bar.

Last edited by Canarsie; Jan 13, 2017 at 11:39 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:56 am

Hi Will and welcome to FlyerTalk!

Sounds like a good deal on the upgrade. What villa type did you upgrade to and did the final amount include taxes?
We'll be there when you are there. Look forward to meeting you at Vilu! Just look for the Caucasian guy with the Asian girlfriend.

Sorry, forgot to mention, it was to an OWV and included taxes. I will look out for you both! We will be the short (and probably) burnt couple
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:12 am

Sorry, forgot to mention, it was to an OWV and included taxes. I will look out for you both! We will be the short (and probably) burnt couple
And we'll be the swedish couple in their 40's (also short and possibly burnt)
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: LH SEN, IB *S, AA PLT
Hi there,
we have booked flights to MLE for a 8 nights stay mid May and considering staying 4 nights in a DBV and 4 nights in a retreat water villa.
I think we opt for the western/lagoon side of the island for the DBV as we want the prettier beach and want to walk into the sea without touching corals (we can walk to the reef side for snorkelling). Does that makes sense for those who stayed? Will the erosion be a problem on the lagoon side or reef side mid may? I couldn't find out from the posted pictures for sure.
Min oyr offer Half board is included which is obviously at Atoll market but a 75$ credit will be applied at other restaurants. I have read in some reviews on other sites that the buffet both at breakfast and dinner will be limited in low season (this was a review from Sept 2014) - nearly half of the stations were empty and sushi was only upon second request. Can anyone confirm this having stayed in May?
Well, it is still a lot of money and if this is the case we are seriously considering the O&O Reethi Rah or Shangri La Villingili since this costs us the same amount on half board basis.
This is our first time to the Maldives and want perfect beach, good snorkelling and good food, I guess we have short listed quite ok (?)

thank you you for taking the time to answer

cheers

flo
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: QF Platinum - SQ PPS - HH Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, ShangriLa Jade
Hi there Rich.

1. I would definitely consider upgrading to a DBV since you have kids and could do with the space. You're looking at somewhere between USD 280 - 375 (++ of course). Ask for one with a large pool.
2. Request 225 or thereabouts (220 through 230) as that will put you nearest the pathway through the coral to the dropofff at the house reef.
3. I recommend Mandhoo, Vilu and Sunset Grill. All a must IMO. Try a beach dinner as well if your budget allows (you're looking at an easy thousand for the family). I also suggest the buffet restaurant Atoll Market at least once as the kids will love it. I wouldn't bother with Ufaa if you are keen on trying genuine Chinese food (maybe with hotpot being the exception). You do need to book in advance. Previously they took bookings no more than 2 weeks in advance but 3 or 4 days ahead is fine. You'll be going in Chinese New Year so you can get away with even less notice to book tables as they mainly go for the buffet at Atoll Market. I can't say whether that applies to Ufaa or not as I don't know how heavily booked it will be at that time.
4. They do indeed have a kids menu. Standard everywhere. PM me and I'll send the latest version to you by email.
5. I'm surprised you were offered an upgrade to a SWV as maximum occupancy is 3 adults or 2 adults and 1 child. As for the price, in high season a Beach Villa to Superior Water Villa upgrade is anywhere from 320 - 562 (exclusive of taxes, see the wiki for more info) so the offer is pretty good. If they do let 2 kids stay with you (highly unlikely but you never know) then it will be crowded but there are the various advantages that you have with an OWV. You can take the kids to Majaa (kids club) and leave them there for a while if you want some quiet time with your SO.

Does your stay overlap into February? If so, let's meet up at Vilu Bar.
No DBV available for upgrade. Looks like BV it is. Which of 213-216 or 201-208 would you recommend?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:34 am

5 nt stay review

Third time here as a diamond with a 6 month old. We booked bv. Was given standard upgrade price. Got here and asked about paid upgrade and was comped to water villa on lagoon side for 3 nights. Was really happier with the renovated beach villa due to its size and proximity to snorkeling but was grateful for the elite status recognition nonetheless. Could not see much fish at all from water villa which is contrary to our experience in the past on the sunset side. Snorkeling off of house reef was as good as ever although corals were definitely less vibrant than 2 years ago. Got to see a turtle and a couple of 4-5 feet sharks. My hubby did diving and saw manta rays. The tea time edibles were plentiful and cocktail hours were still fabulous even without the cocktail offerings.
A few problems we ran into:
1. The noise from various parties (Russian orthodox Christmas, Maldivian night and whatever else they have going on Tuesday night) is definitely annoying. We had similar issue two years ago and brought it up to the management during the Tuesday reception but nothing seems to have changed in terms of better sound insulation system.
2. My husband was vomiting from probably viral gastroenteritis and had to go to the clinic to see a doctor. I was a bit aghast when he was quick to give him iv medicine without asking for his allergies. When I asked him about getting him some fluid rescuscitation, he visibly grew upset. Mind you he has not even gotten vital signs at this point and my husband was showing signs of dehydration. Thank god he got better over next two days but that's just my less than stellar impression I had.
3. Not really the resorts fault but apparently there hasn't been any sighting of whale sharks for 2 weeks on the snorkeling excursion. My sister was very dissapointed since it was her first time.
Overall, it is still a very nice place we may come back to due to its seclusion and the magical experience of snorkeling and diving. I did have a nice stay. I did hear from another guest visiting from Europe thar he overheard a conversation that the operation manager Bobby Shakker? Was having with another employee disparaging repeat guests here, something to the effect of not understanding how they are not bored coming back here multiple times. It's an interesting attitude to have. Guess he was having a bad day.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:00 pm

Nice price!

Originally Posted by FlugE
And we'll be the swedish couple in their 40's (also short and possibly burnt)
So that's four shorts and 2 or more burnts. Gotcha!
Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:21 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
What is a good category of over water villa/room to try and reserve for a middle aged couple (no kids) going to the Conrad for the first time? We are here for a quiet few days and will likely be our first and only visit to the Maldives? I cannot seem to differentiate between the over water options aside from the sizes mentioned on the hotel website...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.