Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:14 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
What about Paris?

I'm surprised that you haven't been to Paris yet, the City of Lights. It's one of my favorite cities, lots of things to do or just walk around and enjoy being in Paris, a state of mind. OTOH, prices are much more reasonable in Prague than in Paris.

The Hilton Arc de Triomphe is a very nice hotel with a nice lounge, Art Deco design. Relatively new, the only completely new hotel built near city center in the last decades?

We stayed at the Marriott Vienna over a decade ago, on my very first hotel award stay. I remember the hotel as quite nice with large American sized rooms. It's also conveniently located right on the Ring Strasse, on the edge of the old city.

October/November is when air travel slows down and there is usually fare sales, so I wouldn't buy tickets too soon, unless you can get refare for the difference if fare drops like UA.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Dawn, I've stayed at both the Vienna Marriott & the Vienna Hilton (Stadtpark). I also went to school in Vienna, so if you have any questions re: Vienna or the properties, PM or email me.

I've been to Prague, Budapest, Paris, Istanbul, but wasn't at Hilton/Marriott properties so can't help you wrt the properties in those locales if you choose any of them.

Cheers.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Dawn, I've stayed at both the Vienna Marriott & the Vienna Hilton (Stadtpark). I also went to school in Vienna, so if you have any questions re: Vienna or the properties, PM or email me.

I've been to Prague, Budapest, Paris, Istanbul, but wasn't at Hilton/Marriott properties so can't help you wrt the properties in those locales if you choose any of them.

Cheers.
Have you ever stayed at the Hilton Vienna Plaza? is it worth the extra pts?

If Im correct its way on the other side of the Ring Strassse. I happen to like the location of both The Stadpark and Marriott
Old Sep 24, 2008, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by craz
Have you ever stayed at the Hilton Vienna Plaza? is it worth the extra pts?

If Im correct its way on the other side of the Ring Strassse. I happen to like the location of both The Stadpark and Marriott
Sorry craz, I haven't stayed at the HVP as like you, I like the location of the Stadpark (and the Marriott). However, I had a friend & his wife stay there in May of this year & they received a lovely upgrade, had quite nice things to say about the staff & easy access to public transport. Other reports in this forum indicate it's a decent property. And you're correct - it's on the far end of the RingStrasse.

I am a bit surprised to hear that it's more points however. I thought it & Stad were the same pointswise.

Cheers.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Sorry craz, I haven't stayed at the HVP as like you, I like the location of the Stadpark (and the Marriott). However, I had a friend & his wife stay there in May of this year & they received a lovely upgrade, had quite nice things to say about the staff & easy access to public transport. Other reports in this forum indicate it's a decent property. And you're correct - it's on the far end of the RingStrasse.

I am a bit surprised to hear that it's more points however. I thought it & Stad were the same pointswise.

Cheers.

Thanks

as for the Cats its;

Danube Cat3 25k

Stadpark Cat4 30k

Vienna Plaza Cat5 35k
Old Sep 24, 2008, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by craz
Thanks

as for the Cats its;

Danube Cat3 25k

Stadpark Cat4 30k

Vienna Plaza Cat5 35k
That's interesting. I would have thought S would be higher than P. I guess I'll have to stop by next time I'm in Vienna & check it out. As mentioned, I really like the location of the S which also is a bit closer to the activities/events/locations I'm at when in Wien.

Not to sidetrack this thread since it's really about where to stay after Vienna, but if anyone has stayed at H-S and H-P, it would be nice to get a comparison/thoughts.

Cheers.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 7:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold
Vienna to Paris

We've been to Amsterdam, Rome, Budapest, Sorrento, London, and Ireland, so no repeats please.

We are not even stuck on Vienna, but I do need to find a nice Marriott because I will have an award from both Hilton and Marriott so we will need to stay a week in each of the properties.

Thanks!!!!!

Paris Hilton at Arc de Triumph has one of the best exec clubs in the whole Hilton chain. The 1.5 hour English speaking tour of the Louvre will leave you in awe! There are 5 other "must see" museums, if you are into that. And then there are the magnificent churches. And then there is the day trip to Versailles. Then there is the day trip to Monet's Garden Home. Food is done with passion, but you will pay with indigestion when you see the bill.
Take the train from Vienna.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL, AA, US, AC, Marriott Platinum, HHhonors Silver (Woo Hoo!)
We love the Hilton Vienna Plaza. It has large rooms, a great lounge and it has always given us an upgrade. My wife, who is an Austrian citizen prefers the location of the Vienna Plaza versus the Hilton Vienna near the Stadtpark. She finds that the Vienna Plaza is a more convenient location on the Ring, (near Parliament, the University, the museums, Hofburg and the Boerse) compared to the Hilton near the Stadtpark.

As for where to spend the other seven days, have you considered Salzburg Innsbruck, Graz or Bratislava? These cities are more manageable in size and have some great examples of architecture, food and other cultural amenities that are unique to Central Europe.
If the intent is to stay at a Hilton property the second week but remain close to the same airport for the return flight home, you could consider Munich. It's a 3 hour train ride from Vienna, less than an hour from Salzburg (which does not have a Hilton) and within easy reach of many sightseeing spots such as Neuschwanstein Castle (of Mad King Ludwig of Bavaria fame). Innsbruck has a Hilton as well but is a bit more difficult to do day trips to other cities from.
Personally, we think the Hilton Vienna Plaza is a great place with nice exec lounge. You could also consider a short flight to Warsaw. We've not been but have heard good things about the Hilton there.

Last edited by closecover; Sep 25, 2008 at 9:04 pm
Old Sep 27, 2008, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
The Hilton Vienna is not quite centrally located, but as a Diamond you should be treated very well. The lounge is outstanding. This thread reminds me that I need to get back!
Old Sep 27, 2008, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CIT85
This used to be true with the Rome Cavalieri Hilton. The hotel has a great lounge, one of the best I'm been in of any hotel chain. However, this hotel has just been rebadged to a Waldorf-Astoria and has changed the rules. Diamonds no longer are provided free access to the lounge. Lounge access is only for guest staying in suites and Imperial (Executive level) rooms. You may have to book an Imperial room for lounge access. The hotel used to value lounge access at 50 euros when it was a Hilton, it's now 120 euros.

The only other Rome Hilton is at the FCO Airport, so does not qualify.

Hilton Arc de Triomphe in Paris is worth considering. Decor is Art Deco, not modern, but very nice. Lounge is quite good, and Diamonds are offered upgrade to Executive level with lounge access. Location is OK. Not many hotels in Paris have great views, even fancy hotels like Bristol or George V.
I checked out of the Cavalieri on the 18th. I was lucky enough to get in under the wire, so I was upgraded to the exec level and enjoyed the fantastic lounge. It is true things have changed, but there is a new lounge on the lobby level for Diamonds and Golds. I don't know what it is like, but with the way the rest of the hotel is, I'd bet it will be very nice.

I went from there to the Arc de Triomphe. No upgrade to exec level, but lounge access after I fought for it. The lounge there is nice, but coming from the Cavalieri, it was a disappointment. The rooms at ADT are TINY - quite possibly the smallest hotel room I have ever been in.

I know the rooms at the Paris Hilton (by the Eiffle Tower) are smaller, but I was upgraded to a Jr. Suite there, so it was quite nice - and with a much nicer view.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 8:45 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Paris....

Originally Posted by CIT85
I'm surprised that you haven't been to Paris yet, the City of Lights. It's one of my favorite cities, lots of things to do or just walk around and enjoy being in Paris, a state of mind. OTOH, prices are much more reasonable in Prague than in Paris.

The Hilton Arc de Triomphe is a very nice hotel with a nice lounge, Art Deco design. Relatively new, the only completely new hotel built near city center in the last decades?

We stayed at the Marriott Vienna over a decade ago, on my very first hotel award stay. I remember the hotel as quite nice with large American sized rooms. It's also conveniently located right on the Ring Strasse, on the edge of the old city.

October/November is when air travel slows down and there is usually fare sales, so I wouldn't buy tickets too soon, unless you can get refare for the difference if fare drops like UA.
For some reason, Paris just wasn't on my brain. But, it does sound fabulous.

I'm geographically challenged, so now I will also see what is close enough to travel to but far enough away so that is totally different, for a week in Paris followed by a week in __________.

I just love this part of the research.

Great information folks....thank you so much.

Dawn
Old Sep 28, 2008, 9:53 am

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by kymbakitty
I'm geographically challenged, so now I will also see what is close enough to travel to but far enough away so that is totally different, for a week in Paris followed by a week in __________.
Dawn

What about Marbella, Spain. It is totally different than Paris. It is on the Mediterranean in the Costa del Sol. Oct, early Nov is still a good time weather wise, usually in the 70s and less crowds. The Marriott's Marbella Beach Resort is lovely, a timeshare property but can reserve for i.e. 150K marriott points for 2 bedrooms, 7 nights. Fly into Malaga (AGP) and fly out of CDG, with one way train or flight between the two. It's about a 2 hr flight from Malaga to Paris with say Air Europa. Train: about 3 hrs from Malaga to Madrid then 13 hrs from Madrid to Paris on the Trenhotel, night train with beds. Many options for day trips....Granada (2hr bus), Ronda ( 1 1/4 bus), even Tangiers, Morocco.

Hilton ADT is indeed a lovely hotel located in a fabulous city.

As mentioned, Prague is also a lovely city, for the Vienna & ____ combo. Hilton Old Town is accross the street from Marriott and in good location for tourist. You can walk to Charles Bridge, main square. If you like Opera, it is inexpensive in Prague.

So many wonderful options.....
Old Sep 28, 2008, 5:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'd also recommend Prague, a short train (spend on First Class, why not?) and an easy open jaw trip. I think Prague in many ways is equal to Paris, though more compact, more historic in the old town area, considerably cheaper, more scenic, and provides a very goodly number of easily accessible cultural offerings - many to choose from every day and night, from concerts to ______.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 6:30 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
So are you saying....

Originally Posted by JDiver
I'd also recommend Prague, a short train (spend on First Class, why not?) and an easy open jaw trip. I think Prague in many ways is equal to Paris, though more compact, more historic in the old town area, considerably cheaper, more scenic, and provides a very goodly number of easily accessible cultural offerings - many to choose from every day and night, from concerts to ______.
A week in Vienna followed by a week in Prague? I think that is what you are saying....that is one of our two options that we decided on.

I wish I knew more of what you refer to as an "open jaw" though. Sorry, I just don't have the flight lingo down, never have.

We live in Roseville (close to you actually), so where would you suggest we start/stop and get to point A to Point B, in whichever direction that makes more sense.

As far as the train, we would most definitely go first class. We took the Virgin train out of Wales to London and had a BLAST. "They" don't do "ice" but they sure feed the cr*p out of you--we were stuffed to the gills by the time we got off that train!

Because of the travel I do for work, we are able to spend our vacation fund money on the first class airfare, etc. We were able to go first class to Budapest and first class to Rome--but mind you, this is on Delta and in no way to be confused with the REAL first class that so many of you have been on where you actually get to lay flat!!! Basically, biz/first class on Delta is like being in a really nice dentist chair with better food.

Thanks for the great posts....I'm copying them all to my 18th Anniversary folder!

Dawn
Old Sep 28, 2008, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kymbakitty
A week in Vienna followed by a week in Prague? I think that is what you are saying....that is one of our two options that we decided on.

I wish I knew more of what you refer to as an "open jaw" though. Sorry, I just don't have the flight lingo down, never have.

We live in Roseville (close to you actually), so where would you suggest we start/stop and get to point A to Point B, in whichever direction that makes more sense.
Open jaw - Fly into one city and out of another city. In your case, Fly into Vienna, Vinnea to Prague by train, and fly out of Prague on the same airline ticket. A lot of FT award tavels are with open jaw or stopover (stop in another city enroute to destination, or stop on way back). You can price your airfare RT into Vienna and open jaw Vinnea/Prague and factor in train one way vs RT to decide which way is best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.