Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2012, 5:26 pm

Vienna or Prague using HHonors

Gf & I are travelling to Vienna and Prague for 3 nights each in April and only have enough HHonors points to book 2 nights in either Vienna or Prague. The rates on the Hilton website are about the same for each city using points or $. Is there a benefit to booking one over the other with points. I have Gold status. Which do you prefer and why.

Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by domdigs
Gf & I are travelling to Vienna and Prague for 3 nights each in April and only have enough HHonors points to book 2 nights in either Vienna or Prague. The rates on the Hilton website are about the same for each city using points or $. Is there a benefit to booking one over the other with points. I have Gold status. Which do you prefer and why.

Thanks!
I wish I could give you a definitive comparison, but I can only provide feedback on a very positive experience at the Hilton Prague Old Town. Great property within minutes of most of the key attractions, and the lounge is awesome!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 8:49 pm

Thanks, Hilton Prague Old Town has good rates for our dates, almost 1/2 off regular price. Will save points for Hilton Vienna where rooms go for more.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 9:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I think if you read the existing threads for the properties in question you may get some better ideas of what each property offers, so you can make an informed decision. In particular the reviews threads often offer information on which properties offer more to those holding elite status.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 7:24 am

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
The big Hilton Prague has the better Ex lounge. This hotel is very good at giving gold lounge access I'm told and because it is a bigger hotel you should get it.

Look for premium reward nights at lower point rates at some hotels in Europe. Not sure why this happens but I have noticed reward nights in say a deluxe room for less points then a standard room.

No matter what you do in Prague stay at the big Hilton Prague VS the old town.

http://upgrd.com/blogs/damian/the-hi...in-europe.html
Old Dec 28, 2012, 9:11 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Ditto on the Prague Hilton, largest lounge I have ever been in; and was maybe 30% full, no fighting for space. Bit our of the way but we walked to Old Town every day, it only took 15 minutes and was very pleasant even at night; never bothered once.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:23 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by little_dc
The big Hilton Prague has the better Ex lounge. This hotel is very good at giving gold lounge access I'm told and because it is a bigger hotel you should get it.

Look for premium reward nights at lower point rates at some hotels in Europe. Not sure why this happens but I have noticed reward nights in say a deluxe room for less points then a standard room.

No matter what you do in Prague stay at the big Hilton Prague VS the old town.

http://upgrd.com/blogs/damian/the-hi...in-europe.html
I prefer to stay at the "big Hilton" but I would not say that there is anything wrong with the old town Hilton at all. I just like the larger lounge at the Prague Hilton but the Hilton Old Town has a better location but the walk doesnt bother me.

To the OP, you cant go wrong with the Hiltons in either city IMO.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:05 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, SPG Gold
Smile Just returned from Prague and Vienna

Having just returned from both Prague and Vienna, I would solidly come down on the side of Prague. Prague is a lovely city, very walkable and the old town Prague Hilton is very centrally located. If you happen to need a train, the station is only a block or so away but most of the city is walkable. The lounge was excellent and we were treated with great service. Tipping is optional but welcomed and deserved in most cases.

Vienna has multiple locations and we stayed at the Hilton near Stadtpark which is a much larger hotel than the Old Town Hilton Prague.

I would say go for Prague as you will love the Charles Bridge, Castle, Astronomic Clock none of which are more than 20 minutes from your hotel though I recommend you take a tram up the hill to the Castle. Prague is amazingly beautiful.^^

Last edited by SimpleManToo; Dec 29, 2012 at 9:07 am Reason: slight hotel description change
Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by SimpleManToo
Having just returned from both Prague and Vienna, I would solidly come down on the side of Prague. Prague is a lovely city, very walkable and the old town Prague Hilton is very centrally located. If you happen to need a train, the station is only a block or so away but most of the city is walkable. The lounge was excellent and we were treated with great service. Tipping is optional but welcomed and deserved in most cases.

Vienna has multiple locations and we stayed at the Hilton near Stadtpark which is a much larger hotel than the Old Town Hilton Prague.

I would say go for Prague as you will love the Charles Bridge, Castle, Astronomic Clock none of which are more than 20 minutes from your hotel though I recommend you take a tram up the hill to the Castle. Prague is amazingly beautiful.^^
I dont think the OP is trying to decide between Prague or Vienna but instead trying to decide which one to use their points for two nights stay in either city as they are going to both.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:27 am

London/Rome Stay - Hilton Recommendations and Strategy?

Hey,

I am travelling to Europe in summer and London and Rome are some of the destinations where I could good Hilton hotels. In London, we will be staying for 5 nights, 4 adults, and 2 rooms are required. In Rome, we will be staying 2 nights, 4 adults, and 2 rooms are required.

I am HHonors Gold member, and using Amex/VA promo have 330K HHonors points.

following are the hotel choices and need your suggestions, feedback and any other tips that you can provide. I am also confessing that I am not good with GLON/AXON stuff even after reading all the helpful posts here, so please provide any feedback.

Also, one of the suggestions would be to get hilton amex card, but I am not planning to do that.

London:
Option1:
Hilton London Kensington hotel
53+25K points per night -->> 250K points+500pounds.

Option2:
Hilton London Wembley
53+25K points per night -->> 250K points+500pounds.

Not many hotels are available with cash+points award, maybe it opens up in future but this is what i have for now.

Rome
Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts
150+25K points per night ->> 100K points + 600euros

Hilton Rome Airport hotel
73+20K points per night ->> 80K points + 280euros

Please let me know if there are any other ways to get better cash and points availability for other London hotels? should i contact their managers to open cash&points? should i wait to book and hopefully it opens up?

any other suggestions and ideas?

thanks in advance.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
First, I think you should review existing threads about these properties to help you make an informed decision. Speaking for myself, without knowing someone and their predilections fairly well, I would hesitate to make specific recommendations.

Second, there is a huge difference between staying at a distant airport hotel using trains to get into town and staying at a Waldorf=Astoria property (using a shuttle bus to get into parts of town, though the bus, according to those who have stayed at the Cav, can be full at times and may not have the most desirable schedule).

Also check the Making sense of Hilton reward options -- AXON, GLON, and everything else sticky thread - an AXON enables you to save significantly on stays of four nights (though it would not help you with a two night stay in Rome, and you may wish to look at a VIP stay for five days in LON).
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: HH diamond
Echoing JDiver's advice to look at the various threads.

It depends on what you want. But those London hotels are not the most centrally located. Don't let C&P be the only determining factor in your choice.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: Hilton-Gold
I will be staying at Rome Cavalieri next summer for 4 nights for 170000 points/each room. I reserved 2 rooms(2 adults and 2 kids). From reading all the reviews, you will get a better value at Cavalieri than at Hilton Airport hotel which is far from City. I don't know why you want to use Cash & Points when you have so many Hilton points.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 1:51 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
In London, consider few things:
- Kensington Hilton is good value because of proximity to shopping mall and metro, but very small rooms.
- Metropole is located closer to the center, and has some very large double queen rooms. If the group allows it, you can basically book a single room on points, and all 4 of you can share. Only works for certain groups, and you did mention you need 2 rooms.
- 5 nights in London will cost 160k, 200k or 125k and 275-375GBP. If points are precious, then spend them wisely, there is not huge difference between some Doubletrees and many Hiltons. The dedicated thread on London properties will tell you more.

In Rome, I would not use any of the Hilton hotels, they are not ideal for a group who wants to see the city in 2 days... Spend your points in London and spend cash in Rome, there are plenty hotels for ~100 EUR/night...
Old Dec 30, 2012, 8:22 am

Programs: HHonnors Diamond, AA Gold, UA Silver
Both of the London hotels are at bit far from the tourist area's... The Rome airport is a bit misleading... You will have a fairly long train ride to get to Rome from the airport. The wf is very nice however it's location requires a ride into the tourist area's of Rome.

I would suggest you get the Amex credit card so you can use an axon stay. Then book a four night axon stay in central London at one of the better hotels Hilton has (many threads regarding the differences). That would burn most of you points, so I would pay for a room in Rome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.