Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Rate has decreased after booking prepaid rate...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Melia Silver, NH silver, H10 Class

Can I ask to adjust the room rate of a prepaid reservation after the prepaid room rate has dropped about 40%? The fully refundable room rate is now even lower than the prepaid room rate that I booked...
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Delectatio
Can I ask to adjust the room rate of a prepaid reservation after the prepaid room rate has dropped about 40%? The fully refundable room rate is now even lower than the prepaid room rate that I booked...
Of course you can ask, however, the property may say no. If they do, you could post the refusal on a site like TripAdvisor and maybe shame them into granting the change. A 40% drop is pretty massive and is worth the effort. Just keep in mind you did agree to the higher price and the terms thereof at the time of booking.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:09 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
No refund

I had this as well, and was a bit annoyed

Called Diamond desk, they could do nothing. Called hotel, they could not do anything, it is just one of those things

Tried to claim on the website form, for Price Guarantee, as it was actually on Expedia cheaper as well, but they only give it do you if less than 24 hours.

It is a bit annoying, but seems little can be done, the hotel may be kinder to you!

Good luck ^
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Melia Silver, NH silver, H10 Class
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Of course you can ask, however, the property may say no. If they do, you could post the refusal on a site like TripAdvisor and maybe shame them into granting the change. A 40% drop is pretty massive and is worth the effort. Just keep in mind you did agree to the higher price and the terms thereof at the time of booking.
I have sent an email to the BRG team asking if they can adjust the rate...
I have indeed agreed on the higher rate at the time of booking (and I still think it was already a good rate). Planning on adding another night to the stay which I can book at the -now- lower rate.
I guess sometimes you win...sometimes you lose... It made me think twice about booking prepaid rates though...
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I have indeed agreed on the higher rate at the time of booking (and I still think it was already a good rate). Planning on adding another night to the stay which I can book at the -now- lower rate.
I guess sometimes you win...sometimes you lose... It made me think twice about booking prepaid rates though...
I doubt that a BRG will be successful. Your best chance of success (still low imo)will probably be to call the property and see if they can adjust the rate to that currently available as nonrefundable and offer to stay two nights at the prepaid rate. Make sure they understand that you are not trying to change your booking from nonrefundable to refundable.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:45 am

The standard line is: If the rate went up 40% (or even 40 cents), you're not going to call to ask for the higher rate. It's a big difference, and we don't know if the prepaid rate was booked months ago for travel several months in advance, or if the trip was booked yesterday for this coming weekend.

There's always the chance the rate may fall. And considering the difference between a nonrefundable rate and a cancellable rate is generally just a few dollars, I never really found it worth the risk. On a flight, the difference is generally several hundred dollars, so there's more of a reason to consider the non-refundable rate.

If I was the hotel, I would respond on TA stating exactly what you said: The traveler agreed to the terms and conditions. They wouldn't want to risk getting a whole bunch of people writing in saying that their rate fell so they should get a refund or credit for the difference also. Or I wouldn't respond at all, to limit any possible flare-up.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: DL PM, HH DM, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Amtrak SP
I had this happen to me a couple years ago and the diamond desk was able to cancel my non-refundable rate and I booked the new rate. They did say it was a one-time exception because of my status and it would be noted in my account. Not sure if it was just a good agent or if it's something they can do going forward.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Originally Posted by gav0106
I had this as well, and was a bit annoyed

Called Diamond desk, they could do nothing. Called hotel, they could not do anything, it is just one of those things

Tried to claim on the website form, for Price Guarantee, as it was actually on Expedia cheaper as well, but they only give it do you if less than 24 hours.

It is a bit annoying, but seems little can be done, the hotel may be kinder to you!

Good luck ^
I view this as the risk you take when you book a non refundable rate. When booking you should know the rate can fluctuate.

Having said that, if the price increased 40% would you voluntarily call and ask to pay the increase? @:-) @:-) @:-)
Old Jan 11, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I have a personal rule that I never book prepaid/non-cancellable rates until I'm within one month of my stay. It's not a perfect strategy -- there's always the possibility that rates might go lower at the last minute or I might wish I could make changes -- but it's where I decided to draw the line for booking prepaid rates.

You've got the right attitude, though: No need to avoid them entirely, but you're right to think twice before booking them. There's no harm in trying the BRG, but I agree with jerry that your best chance might be calling the hotel, especially if they know that you want to extend your stay.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 5:06 pm

I had it happened once. The new rates was way cheaper then the much earlier pre-paid rates. However, (it was a Hampton), the rules states while the reservation cannot be cancelled, it can however be modified under certain conditions for a fee. The fee was still lesser than the savings I will gain so I made a reservation change. Look at your rate rules.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Caveat emptor.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP bet that the rate he locked in would not drop. It dropped. Wrong bet. Lots of those every day.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 8:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond.
This has happened to me plenty of times. This is what i have done.

You clearly found the rate acceptable hence why you booked it, the rate has gone lower. Thats annoying. agreed.

My suggestion ( This is what i do)

Give hilton a call. Say, I was looking at booking a better room and noticed that the rates have dropped. I thought my room booking was flexible. Is it just possible to change my room booking instead of changing my rate).

Better room, plus a potential diamond upgrade...
Old Jan 12, 2016, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Rizla

Give hilton a call. Say, I was looking at booking a better room and noticed that the rates have dropped. I thought my room booking was flexible. Is it just possible to change my room booking instead of changing my rate).

^^^
Old Jan 12, 2016, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by Rizla
This has happened to me plenty of times. This is what i have done.

You clearly found the rate acceptable hence why you booked it, the rate has gone lower. Thats annoying. agreed.

My suggestion ( This is what i do)

Not if corporate requires a normal room booking. Changing the room this way gets it reflected on the bill. Not sure about OP but I would be questioned and it is unnecessary trouble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.