Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Naniloa Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Reviews of this property:
Print Wikipost

Grand Naniloa Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2021, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stvr
How was your stay?
Stays there always good. At least for me. Hotel is showing its age and needs a refurb but the staff is always pleasant and the rooms comfortable. Windows definitely need to be cleaned more often. Don't partake in the food options so can't comment on that. As Lifetime Diamond and with Covid they have been waiving the resort and parking fees. No valet when there in August. Always get some kind of an upgrade.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Staying currently. I used to love this place in all its low-brow Hilo glory. This stay is terrible on several fronts. Terrible. It took 45 min last night to check in. There was a single check in agent who appeared to be in training as there was a guy watching what she was doing and occasionally giving pointers (but not engaging the miserable line waiting to check in. No upgrade, full parking and resort fee. The long check in pushed several of us to the restaurant right at 8 where they declined to serve us because “our last seating is at 8”. This after several of us walked down while in line and were told 9. At 2 am is a fire alarm and evacuation into the blustery rain. No service recovery effort of any kind. The restaurant did stay open til 9 (no new seatings) at a ear splitting echo chamber volume. Gone is the Hawaiian feel from pre-Covid. The east facade is covered in mildew as are the lanais. My room is missing most of the furniture that used to be in here as well as privacy shears, and the bathroom pocket door is jammed and the shower diverter is broken. To me, this is what properties look like before they die…

the happy hour in the lobby bar remains a bright spot…a needed one

Last edited by cmculp; Dec 5, 2021 at 11:59 am
Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Stayed for one night last week and did not have any of the issues of the last poster. We did self parking in the lot across the street for free, and we didnt hear about the no resort fee for diamonds. Yes, the room is dated, but we were upgraded to an ocean view with balcony, and all the furniture was there, and no problems in the bathroom. Check in was actually smooth, even though it was a saturday night and there was a wedding in the hotel. We arrived about 5, and wanted to go to Volcanos national park later that night so desk advised to order food since the restaurant would be closed when we returned. Was able to use the food and beverage credit for the dinner we took to the park. Breakfast at Ken's diner down the block was a much better option the next morning. We did a lovely drive from Kona to Hilo with many small stops along the way - Waimea farmers market, akaka falls, botanic garden among them, so all in all a good day and stay.

I love the description of low-brow Hilo glory, it was my thought but didnt have the words. We actually much preferred this side of the island to the disneyland of kona. YMMV We went to see the King Kamehameha statue on sunday morning and there was this amazing line of motor cycles and old mustangs and other cars with racing engines all lined up for some kind of parade, but we stayed about 5 minutes and no one was in a hurry to move.

and the bar was a hopping place when we returned from the volcanoes ..
Old Dec 22, 2021, 2:37 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

OK property - typical DT property

Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton

93 Banyan Dr, Hilo, HI 96720

OK property - typical DT property (15 Photos)

Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton

Went for this property on this trip to the Big Island mainly because I had always wanted to try out this part of the island (my last few trips to this island, I had always stayed at the Kona side) and because of the crazy prices and not so stellar review of the other Hilton properties on the other side.  Stayed 2 consecutive nights here (back in Nov) and was "forced" to return this property again- because I had a package that arrived just 1 day too late posted to the property- after 1 night moving to the Kona side.  I would say after my stay, I have mix feelings with this property although I do actually like the true local way of life on this side compared to the glitzy resort side of Kona.

This property is located away from the downtown area of Hilo (you can basically see this property from the waterfront from downtown).  It is about 5 mins to downtown Hilo.  There are few other hotels around the area which seems to be the green lung of Hilo - making it a nice quiet area to relax.  The park down the road is a Japanese park and seems to be quite popular with the locals especially during the weekend.  There are a few F&B outlets within walking distance via walking pavements.  

The hotel's parking option is either valet or self-parking (complimentary).  For the valet parking - I am not sure how it works, as during check-in I was informed that as an Elite member, it was complimentary since I am on the reserved list.  Anyway, I did not use it, therefore the unclarity on what is meant by the reserved list.  The self-parking area is on a large field area a few mins walk from the lobby.  At least during my stay even with what seems like a busy period (just before Thanksgiving week), there was always space available. 

IMG_20211117_173200568.jpg

IMG_20211117_173219627.jpg

IMG_20211117_173307059.jpg

Check In

I had done an online check-in, but as the norm in current times, I had to drop by the front desk.  I arrived late afternoon, around 1600.  The front desk was not too busy with 2 main associate behind and there was just 2 persons before me (although on my 2nd return, I did have to wait about 10 mins before being helped).  The wait was ok, just a few mins before I was helped by a not so friendly associate (and she also seems to be quite a senior member).  I had to show my proof of vaccination and the usual ID.  

Was given a rundown of the amenities and the dreaded information on the resort fee and what it covers.  As an elite member, was informed about the new credit in lieu of the complimentary breakfast - as this was an HI property - this was $15 per day per guest, so I had $30 per day to spend on any of the hotel's F&B outlets.  [My opinion, on one hand it gives you freedom instead of the usual bad quality breakfast, on the other - an indirect way to further devalue the value of an elite benefits since it does not even cover the cost of something reasonable if you still went for the breakfast option).  I was also given two bottles of water.

As expected in US hotels, true upgrades are hard to find - the best is a bay view room.  Was off to my room after about 15 mins with DT cookies in hand upon arrival at the property.  On my 2nd stay, I did message the hotel to ask if I could get a room with the balcony, receiving a response to check during check-in.  And as usual during check-in I was told that only 1 level upgrade is possible, so it was back to a bay view room.  (Although this time, I had a much more friendly associate - and was also provided with larger bottles of water).

One good thing about this property - is in the mornings until about 10am, they would have complimentary coffee/tea setup in this area.

IMG_20211117_174104760.jpg

IMG_20211117_194746726.jpg

IMG_20211117_194749942.jpg

IMG_20211117_194849192.jpg

Room

The room was on the highest floor of property with a view towards the lobby area/drive of the hotel, across the bay and into downtown Hilo.  From space point it was your average space, just sufficient (even for 3) and not too many luggage.  

The interior was basically a modern white wash interior with minor touches of the hanging pictures of traditional aspects - the hotel seems to have some affiliation with the yearly Merrie Monarch festval and one of the dancer (as her photo/figure seems to be every where).  Furnishiing in the room was as your usual DT property.  

IMG_20211117_173617072.jpg

IMG_20211117_173618952.jpg

There was tea/coffee making facilities.  The minibar was empty and there was also microwave for use.  The climate control in the room was ok - although as usual, even at low fan speed it was way too loud - so basically at night before sleeping, I will turn it off.  Luckily due to the rainy/cooler weather the room never got too warm during the night.  

IMG_20211117_173622712.jpg

IMG_20211117_173702612.jpg

Sleep quality was in general good - with the bed being soft but supportive.  There was also not too much noise disturbance from either interior nor exterior.  

IMG_20211117_173916469.jpg

For aviation fans - from this part of the hotel you can see plans landing/taking off from ITO airport.  Also in the mornings, from the room, you can hear and sometime see the daily Hawaiian airline flight from HNL making the turn while approaching iTO

IMG_20211117_173646468.jpg

IMG_20211117_173651089.jpg

Dining

The resort fee that is forced upon you, includes the Seabreeze cocktail (basically it's the syrup from the tinned pineapples and blue curacao) or a soft/hot drink of your choice.  This can only be consummed at the bar located across the lobby - which admittedly is a nice area to lounge around and enjoy the cool weather during the evening and winding down.  I was surpised that most of the nights the area did get crowded and busy.  For my first night and 3rd night I did use my $30 credit for drinks here.  Prices were actually quite reasonable.

IMG_20211117_194925866.jpg

A funny incident happened on the 1st night, while enjoying our drinks, a guy came over and dumped on us like 10+ of those resort coupons - no idea where he received them, but they were all valid - some with use-by dates and some without.  Tried to ask if we could use this for other (cheaper) drinks, e.g housewine or other cocktails - but was told it was not possible - which I find quite strange and strict.  

For the 2nd day credit, I had wanted to check out what they offered for breakfast, I found the Hula Hula restaurant where breakfast is served, to me had such an univiting interior that I decided to just do a take-away.  This is where I was taken aback - you had to pay extra for every single take-away packaging - yes it was not much, but on principle reason (and enevironment) I requested to just get everything into 1 takeaway box without any plastic utensils.  (I guess I was the only person ever to request for this -as she had to go back to the kitchen or check with someone from management).  In my opinion, if a guest wants to do take-away, I am sure that they could offer the possibility to use real plates/cutlery and not always pack everything.  Anyway, as expected, with the credit provided it was not really possible to get anything decent for breakfast - with just the food without drinks itself, i had to add about $5 above the credit.

Also do take note for dinner, the restaurant closes already at 8pm even for take-outs - which means after 8pm, you will not be able to get any food from any of the hotel's F&B outlets.  

All in all - outside of the bar area, I found the F&B outlets at this property to be underwhelming. 

Service

At this property, room cleaning is done only after 5 days (if I remember correctly) - if not requested earlier.  Since I was staying for 2 nights, I had wanted to get housekpeeing for the next day, and this was also stated in the overview information sheet.  However, upon requesting for this later that evening, I was told that it's not possible, only the 5 days option was available.  

All in all, i found the service level at this property (besides a few better associates) to be quite lacking.  

Pool

Sadly on the days that I was on this side of the island, i did not really see any sun - it was mainly grey and cloudy or raining.  So used the pool area only once (and that was after my return from the Kona area).  The pool area is actually quite un-inviting, they did try to make it nice with an area of deck chairs and beach sand.  However just because of the age of the property - and having such weather,  the pool area in my opinion can be forgotten/waste of time.  Water temperature was during my visit certainly not the ideal teamperature.

Overall

All in all - just an OK property.  From value point - especially in current crazy times - it was not too bad (even comparing it to (Air) B&B's or homestay properties).  On the other hand - when staying at US Hilton properties I don't expect anything much from both amenities and service level.  If I will return to this property if I am in the area, it really depends on the different factors - weather, value, places to visit. 

OK property - typical DT property

Would you like to write a review on the Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Nov 11, 2022, 3:44 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Looking into a stay after new years, and realized the rates have also gone insane in Hilo just like it is on Kona side. Is the service, staffing, etc. still terrible despite the high prices for what it is?
Old Jan 7, 2023, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Just finished a stay here. Would definitely not pay cash for this hotel, as you must pay the resort fees on top. Booked and ocean view room w/points; no upgrade to room with balcony even though available. Rooms are small but view was nice. Breakfast with credit was mediocre, small portions sizes; burrito was $10 so prices not horrible. Live music was nice. No late checkout as per front desk, best they could do is 12pm. Overall an unremarkable average hotel. Hate the way Hilton has eroded benefits.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 11:36 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Is the resort fee universal for all cash guests? Waived for Diamonds?
Old Jan 28, 2024, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Is the resort fee universal for all cash guests? Waived for Diamonds?
everyone pays on cash rates.

it’s waived for points/cert stays
Old Mar 2, 2024, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A 1 night stay last night. Not too bad. Hotel a little busy. Got a King room on 12th (top) floor. Looks like room renovated but for some reason did not put a curved shower curtain rod in so felt a little cramped. They obviously didn't refurb the AC as it would only cool down to 77 even though set as low as 64. And it was a very noisy AC. Just turned it off as it was a cool night and didn't really need it. Is a resort fee on paid stays of $39 plus taxes. But good thing is valet parking is included in the resort fee so no extra cost to park. Did not partake of any food to see if they would apply the F&B credit but they did mention it. Said only good at bar upstairs by check in desks, not at restaurant which I thought was strange. Overall would give it a 7 out of 10.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.