Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2013] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2013] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2008, 8:06 am

IMHO it is a shame to stress over elite benefits and ruin a stay at this wonderful resort. The Maldives are such a special place and well worth the journey to this property.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 9:15 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Starwood Plat
I don't think it is necessarily the issue of worrying over elite benefits.....but to just be treated like a normal guest. If I had a reasonable level of confidence that I would be housed in the best possible regular beach villa (as the base level room for awards), given breakfast like all other guests, and treated with the same accommodation....I wouldn't have much to gripe about.

To date, almost everything has been a struggle with the award stay; first getting the reservation, then what type of villa we could get (after being told we would receive an upgrade, if available), then no breakfast for award stays only, then questionable pricing on the meal supplements packages, and now reports of award stays being put in the most undesirable units on the island.

The website shows all categories of units available (except sunset water villas--only two there) and we have a fear of being put in an undesirable regular beach villa. I almost believe a paid guest, with no Hilton elite level, would be treated better than an award stay---with the highest of elite status. That is why there is concern about this resort.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by PLTHOO
I almost believe a paid guest, with no Hilton elite level, would be treated better than an award stay---with the highest of elite status.
As a matter of fact you would. Hilton reimburses this hotel $450 per night for the beach villa that is pretty much the going rate during the slow season. Most likely these can be booked via various channels for much less than they go for Hilton.com.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 9:33 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by PLTHOO
The website shows all categories of units available (except sunset water villas--only two there)
And Premier Water Villas, of which there are also two.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 9:47 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
All of this talk is starting to get me a little worried as well. I leave on Monday for my honeymoon there (a 6 night GLONP2 award). I sent an email to them asking about excursions, meals to be pre-booked, Diamond benefits, etc and got the following at the start of the email:

As you are staying using points you will get to choose between two options and the excursion you are eligible will depend on that
While it is true that I am on an award reservation, I have already secured a paid upgrade to a deluxe water villa (which includes breakfast according to the email I received which you can be sure I am bringin with) at quite a hefty sum (more than the beach villa I would be getting for free). I have already sent an email to them asking if that changes my Diamond options since the main benefit of one of the options is breakfast, which I don't need.

The email also seems to imply that only because I am on points, I get the Diamond benefits listed (the same ones as are on the website). But the website doesn't mention points, it says for all Diamond members. Logic would say that this means breakfast will not be included with normal rates anymore, otherwise, the Diamond benefit with breakfast included is absolutely useless on paid stays.... Unless they are targeting one Diamond benefit for people on award stays and one benefit for people on paid stays...
Old Jun 16, 2008, 9:59 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Starwood Plat
The entire Diamond benefits thing is somewhat new and is still being implemented...so we shall see what it all means. The website also lists a dinner and breakfast rate separate from the base rates....therefore maybe things are changing the breakfast isn't included for all paid stays. Who knows...a lot of the information is somewhat confusing.

Enjoy your trip....we are getting ready to head out there in just about a week...and are putting our faith in the resort and location making the trip worthwhile.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Just received the usual, although sometimes sporadic, survey email after my stay. I was surprised that the property hadn't ensured that I wouldn't get it knowing that I would give them very unsatisfactory marks.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Gold, Marriott Gold
For those that care - rates have finally been loaded for 2009 forthis hotel.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lindsaybeth
For those that care - rates have finally been loaded for 2009 forthis hotel.
Thanks lindsaybeth, I care DEEPLY! Does anyone know if that implies award inventory is also available?
Old Jul 2, 2008, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AAmerican fAAnAAtic
Thanks lindsaybeth, I care DEEPLY! Does anyone know if that implies award inventory is also available?
For anyone ELSE who cares deeply, the happy answer is YESSSSSSSSSS!

I'm in next March for 6 nights on points.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 5:20 am

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
Thanks for the update. Worked perfectly and we're heading to the Maldives over Easter next year. Can anyone share how much the hotel is asking for an upgrade to the Deluxe Beach Villas for award bookings? Based on the BAR rate the difference is US$300 per day. Bit steep for an upgrade.

If we don't upgrade I know we should avoid #114 but are there actually any good villa numbers to request? Are these "normal" beach villas stand-alone or do 2 villas share one house or something like that?

Last edited by Sydfly; Jul 7, 2008 at 7:16 am Reason: added room number to avoid
Old Jul 8, 2008, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Sydfly
Thanks for the update. Worked perfectly and we're heading to the Maldives over Easter next year. Can anyone share how much the hotel is asking for an upgrade to the Deluxe Beach Villas for award bookings? Based on the BAR rate the difference is US$300 per day. Bit steep for an upgrade.

If we don't upgrade I know we should avoid #114 but are there actually any good villa numbers to request? Are these "normal" beach villas stand-alone or do 2 villas share one house or something like that?
Those beach villas are townhouse like, meaning they are physically stuck with another unit (e.g. 114 & 115) by a wall. Only the Deluxe beach villas and above are stand alone units.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:26 am

Programs: SPG Platinum 100; Hilton Gold; Ritz Gold; UA 1K
Question non-smoking?

Just booked 7 nights award for next March. The online system showed me non-smoking room, but at the end it only allowed me to book a smoking king.

I called customer service, and was told this hotel don't have any non-smoking rooms

Any past experience? Or is it just because it's an award room?

Thanks.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 3:54 pm

Programs: AC 50K MM, HH DIA, GP DIA, SPG PLT, Delta Gold, Farimont Plat
Originally Posted by jyu174
Just booked 7 nights award for next March. The online system showed me non-smoking room, but at the end it only allowed me to book a smoking king.

I called customer service, and was told this hotel don't have any non-smoking rooms

Any past experience? Or is it just because it's an award room?

Thanks.
In one of my reviews earlier on, I mention this as a negative for me for this resort.

Smoking is allowed, encouraged even, virtually everywhere, with the exception being the enclosed wine cellar restaurant, and the wine/cheese bar (also enclosed).

At the risk of generalizing, they cater to a lot of Asian and Russian guests who seem to be bigger smokers than the rest of the world. They also have a well stocked humidor in the main bar.

There are ashtrays in the rooms, though it's easy to get lots of airflow with the a/c, ceiling fans, and wide opening windows. Neither of the villas we stayed in had any "smokiness" about them.

It was a bit miserable being downwind, after shelling out $1000 for dinner for two, and the stench of strong cigarettes wafting across your table.

I found that most of the other guests who smoked were courteous, and smoking seemed most prevalent at the main buffet restaurant.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 12:09 am

Alternative to Conrad Maldives?

Based on all the reviews I've read, I'm not getting a good vibe on this hotel. If I'm going to spend top dollar at a resort, I'd better get some good, consistent service.

As an alternative honeymoon destination within the Hilton/Conrad family, what alternatives are there?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.