Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2013] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2013] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2008, 9:31 am

Something is going on at this resort.....

Here is a response email I received from the Conrad Maldives regarding rates for 2009 being loaded into the system (As you probably know, dates past mid Dec 2008 throughout 2009 are still showing unavailable online). The 2009 dates should be available by now and they informed me weeks ago that everything would be uploaded by the end of May, now it is looking like August. Why is it that a local Hampton Inn (plus most all of the worldwide hotels) can have all dates available but this one resort is still working on uploading the rates. They emailed me a rate sheet for 2009, so I know they have already figured out what next years rates are going to be. It appears (and I might be totally wrong), that the Conrad Maldives is having issues with Hilton corporate regarding reward redemption and the amount of points is needed per reward night (40k). I think they are trying secretly working on either creating a new higher reward redemption category for Conrad, or just this property will be exempted, and higher point redemption is needed for high season. I dont see them changing to a Waldorf property since they JUST chagned to a Conrad, and rebranding would be costly. Since 2009 rates will be inceasing 45 percent, I can only imagine that 40k redemption (or a GLON) now seems very low to them. Just a thought.

Dear XXX,

Unfortunately the loading process takes longer than expected and it will take another 2 month until the inventory is uploaded and available at the online booking system.
We will finalize the rates by the end of August, the HRCC and Diamond Desk is informed.

Kind regards,
XXXXX

XXXXXXXX
Reservation Sales Agent

Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
P.O Box 2034
South Ari Atoll
Republic of the Maldives

Telephone main: [+960] 668 0629
Fax main: [+960] 668 0619
Email: [email protected]
ConradHotels.com ConradMeetings.com
Old Jun 11, 2008, 10:20 am

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Originally Posted by globaltrotter
Something is going on at this resort.....

Here is a response email I received from the Conrad Maldives regarding rates for 2009 being loaded into the system (As you probably know, dates past mid Dec 2008 throughout 2009 are still showing unavailable online). The 2009 dates should be available by now and they informed me weeks ago that everything would be uploaded by the end of May, now it is looking like August. Why is it that a local Hampton Inn (plus most all of the worldwide hotels) can have all dates available but this one resort is still working on uploading the rates. They emailed me a rate sheet for 2009, so I know they have already figured out what next years rates are going to be. It appears (and I might be totally wrong), that the Conrad Maldives is having issues with Hilton corporate regarding reward redemption and the amount of points is needed per reward night (40k). I think they are trying secretly working on either creating a new higher reward redemption category for Conrad, or just this property will be exempted, and higher point redemption is needed for high season. I dont see them changing to a Waldorf property since they JUST chagned to a Conrad, and rebranding would be costly. Since 2009 rates will be inceasing 45 percent, I can only imagine that 40k redemption (or a GLON) now seems very low to them. Just a thought.

Dear XXX,

Unfortunately the loading process takes longer than expected and it will take another 2 month until the inventory is uploaded and available at the online booking system.
We will finalize the rates by the end of August, the HRCC and Diamond Desk is informed.

Kind regards,
XXXXX

XXXXXXXX
Reservation Sales Agent

Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
P.O Box 2034
South Ari Atoll
Republic of the Maldives

Telephone main: [+960] 668 0629
Fax main: [+960] 668 0619
Email: [email protected]
ConradHotels.com ConradMeetings.com
As I've stated previously, I wish HH would exempt this property from the "no black out" policy, in return, Conrad Maldives would agree to participate in the "diamond force".
Old Jun 11, 2008, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by rdchen
As I've stated previously, I wish HH would exempt this property from the "no black out" policy, in return, Conrad Maldives would agree to participate in the "diamond force".
When the property is close to the full capacity (somewhere between 90% to 95%) they do get the ADR from Hilton for the award rooms. In this case the hotel really doesn't loose anything, although the redemptions are rather expensive to Hilton.

When the hotel is not close to capacity they do get several thousand $$$$'s from the captive guest (you really cannot stay here without dropping some $$$$'s) and peanuts from the Hilton.

I really cannot see how the hotel would loose anything.

Last edited by holtju2; Jun 11, 2008 at 7:46 pm
Old Jun 11, 2008, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PLTHOO
Anyways....also still somewhat perplexed on the half-board v. breakfast supplement thing.....basically half-board (based on the food and beverage listings) should include dinner and breakfast---also considering paid stays include breakfast. Also---if you buy the half-board (assuming dinner only) for 66/pp...you only get 30/pp credit at the specialty dinner.....shouldn't it be a 60/pp credit if you are spending the cash anyways on dinner..........or does it all add up.......66/pp half board (dinner + breakfast) = 33/pp (breakfast supplement) + 30/pp dinner credit or buffet. I don't know the plan except that award stays are getting the short end of the stick.
Yeah. It makes zero sense. If you look at the rates on hilton.com the price difference between no board and half-board is exactly $60 for two. It makes zero sense to buy it at their offer price.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Amb, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ckccan
The half board is just dinner, since breakfast is included. If you don't eat at the market buffet, you get partial credit at other restaurants.
I guess my question is, according to the e-mail(s) I've received, the one quoted above, and the HH website, one of the diamond "packages" is free breakfast for two. Also been told that breakfast is NOT included in award stays. So, $60 for dinner at the buffet each night we wouldn't do, but $60 for breakfast and either dinner at the buffet or $30 off somewhere else would be a reasonable deal, I think.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 5:47 am

Programs: AC 50K MM, HH DIA, GP DIA, SPG PLT, Delta Gold, Farimont Plat
Originally Posted by littlejimmy112
I guess my question is, according to the e-mail(s) I've received, the one quoted above, and the HH website, one of the diamond "packages" is free breakfast for two. Also been told that breakfast is NOT included in award stays. So, $60 for dinner at the buffet each night we wouldn't do, but $60 for breakfast and either dinner at the buffet or $30 off somewhere else would be a reasonable deal, I think.
So, for anyone that has been to the resort more recently (I was there in early April), are they now asking for your room # at b'fast?
They did at Vilu, but at the market, no one ever asked our room #.
For room service breakfast they add a s/c.

Unless of course, they arbitrarily charge you b'fast every day you're at the resort.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 7:00 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by holtju2
Yeah. It makes zero sense. If you look at the rates on hilton.com the price difference between no board and half-board is exactly $60 for two. It makes zero sense to buy it at their offer price.
Exactly....the hilton website shows four groups of rates.....standard, pre-paid (discount), standard + breakfast/dinner, and pre-paid + breakfast/dinner. The gap between the base rate and the + bfast/dinner rate (for all types of rooms) is 60 bucks. The rate descriptions seem to indicate 60 bucks nets breakfast and dinner. Agree with the previous posts....60/pp/day for breakfast and dinner / 25% discount / 30 bucks off the special would be worth considering.

Basically again, a paid stay can pay 60 bucks/pp and net breakfast and dinner (assume bfast isn't included) and the resort wants to charge 90 some bucks for award stays to enjoy the same package.

Now just trying to figure which Diamond benefit to choose and what the happy hour actually entails.

We are also trading emails with the resort as we made our reservation before capacity controls were lifted....and were sent a letter describing how Diamonds are eligible for complimentary upgrades. Seems that we most likely will not be grandfathered under the old rules....but a shame seeing all room types are still open two weeks out.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PLTHOO
Now just trying to figure which Diamond benefit to choose and what the happy hour actually entails.

We are also trading emails with the resort as we made our reservation before capacity controls were lifted....and were sent a letter describing how Diamonds are eligible for complimentary upgrades. Seems that we most likely will not be grandfathered under the old rules....but a shame seeing all room types are still open two weeks out.
Like I posted earlier I am here at the Maldives. Once you realize that there are ZERO Diamond benefits you will be just fine. The "vip" packages that they offer for Gold/Diamond members are a disgrace. They will just try to gouge you twice more for the "dinner" plan than if you were a paying guest.

They will put you in the worst villa possible. The "happy" hour is on the other island to make it as inconvenient to get as possible.

My "island hostess" offered to order me a buggy to get me there but then someone called and told that they had a "rush" hour. It actually turned out that these dump villas (by Conrad standards here) where redemption guests are housed do not get this buggy service at all. I just told them to forget it.

IMHO they should just drop the Hilton flag if they are not willing to provide the benefits that come with the Hhonors program.

Last edited by holtju2; Jun 12, 2008 at 7:26 am
Old Jun 12, 2008, 7:59 am

Just for interest, what is your villa number and why is it a "dump"?
Old Jun 13, 2008, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bondiboy
Just for interest, what is your villa number and why is it a "dump"?
The Villa number is 114 and I posted that it is a dump by (by Conrad standards here). Actually I was reading the TA reviews yesterday and someone posted there about these villas.

Anyway I am cutting my stay short here. Should have stayed for six night but I am taking off tomorrow. Spoke with the FD today and ask them to see if they can get the taxi to pick me up today but it was not convenient in such a short notice.

Hilton's guest assurance department will get a long note from me next week.....
Old Jun 14, 2008, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right now I am even more perplexed. Hilton actually paid $450/night for Conrad Maldives that must be quite close to the ADR that they are getting at this time of the year.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 7:17 am

Programs: AC 50K MM, HH DIA, GP DIA, SPG PLT, Delta Gold, Farimont Plat
The Villa number is 114 and I posted that it is a dump by (by Conrad standards here). Actually I was reading the TA reviews yesterday and someone posted there about these villas.

Anyway I am cutting my stay short here. Should have stayed for six night but I am taking off tomorrow. Spoke with the FD today and ask them to see if they can get the taxi to pick me up today but it was not convenient in such a short notice.

Same villa they put us in! To make matters worse, they had a diesel spewing work boat right out front, and late night basketball games (staff) on the other side.
I relented and paid for the "upgrade".

Let us know if you get anywhere with Hilton corporate - I didn't so I dropped it and reflected on what I liked about the resort and the opportunity.

Overall, still a slightly bitter taste in my mouth about this place and management.

ckc
Old Jun 15, 2008, 11:57 pm

now I'm a little scared about my upcoming trip.

Any more info on breakfast vs. happy hour? And whether you can do $60 "half-board" and get breakfast/dinner?
Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:04 am

now I'm a little scared about my upcoming trip.

Any more info on breakfast vs. happy hour? And whether you can do $60 "half-board" and get breakfast/dinner?
Old Jun 16, 2008, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ckccan
Same villa they put us in! To make matters worse, they had a diesel spewing work boat right out front, and late night basketball games (staff) on the other side.
I relented and paid for the "upgrade".

Let us know if you get anywhere with Hilton corporate - I didn't so I dropped it and reflected on what I liked about the resort and the opportunity.

Overall, still a slightly bitter taste in my mouth about this place and management.

ckc
Our original room number was 115. Is this coincidence that it was just beside 114? Since our upgraded spa water villa wasn't ready yet when we arrived in the morning, we were offered the temporary use of our original beach villa and we did. My impression of the the beach villa was good. Of course, I only spent 30 minutes in there as we went out to lunch and thought the villa was o.k. and would have been happy to take it along with the free breakfast if the hotel did not lie to us in the first place.

I know this hotel is run by not very ethical managers but it seems their scheme is a bit more sophisticated than each of us could have known. Someone asked about whether they have started to ask for room numbers during breakfast. Only the first time you go there, I recall. After a day or two, you are pretty much under a communist type surveillance where they know who you are and where you are even if you don't tell them about your room number. I am not kidding. They know you, at the bar, at the restaurants and front desk. Now, this would have been a great service if they used to provide customized service - after all, most of us would be pleasantly surprrised if flight attendants know us by name even before we introduce ourselves. However, in this case, the hotel used to find every single opportunity to nickle & dime guests...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.