Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Paris Opera {FRA} (France)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 15, 2014, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Sisosig
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Hilton Paris Opéra, Paris, France
Hilton Paris Opéra
108 Rue Saint Lazare, Paris, 75008, France
TEL: 33-1-40084444 FAX: 33-1-42930120
General Manager: Sofia L. Vandaele
HHonors Reward Category: Usually 80000 points or premium
Opened for booking as Hilton 1 Mar 2014

Hotel Information:
Check-in: 3:00 pm; Check-out: 12:00 pm
Smoking: Available
Parking: Valet or Self parking: 30.00 € (old info? Website now says both are unavailble)
Pets: Service animals allowed: Yes; Pets allowed: No
Executive Lounge: Yes (suites, executive room and Diamond access)

Location: Link to Google maps; 1 block south Gare Saint-Lazare rail station; close by Sainte-Lazare Metro. Roissybus from CDG info link and link to Google map from Opéra Garnier to property (650 meters via Rue Aubert).

Print Wikipost

Hilton Paris Opera {FRA} (France)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by manneca
I'm in the lounge right now. I checked in Monday around 1-ish. I was upgraded from Superior to Deluxe for my entire stay (6 nights on points). Staff is terrific. Breakfast is ho hum. I'm eating in the restaurant and then moving to the lounge for coffee after breakfast. As usual, a larger selection in the restaurant. (At 35 euro for breakfast, I'm glad it's free; there's no way I'd pay 35 euro for the IMHO meager selections, but then I'm used to Asian breakfasts where there's SE Asian, Indian, American selections and lots of veggies In the restaurant there are eggs, bacon and/or sausage, tomatoes, beans, cereals, a selection of fruit, cold meat and cheese, croissants and pain au chocolat and another pastry. On Tuesday there was a veggie, but not today. .) The spread in the evening is good. The first night I came down to the lounge at 6 and the hot food was gone. I don't know what the meat was (there were green onions in the dish), but they replaced it with fried cheese. For the last two nights, it's been fish which I need to eat more of. Fish, potatoes, an avocado with turkey breast open face sandwich, two salads, raw veggies and a yoghurt sauce. Cheesecake and a chocolate torte. (Last night it was just chocolate chip cookies). Three wines: red, white, rose. No hard stuff that I can see. I'm a lone female, so not having to go out to dinner is nice, even though I'm a foodie. I like the location. I'm walking places in the morning and taking public transportation back in the afternoon.
I was told the reason they don't have free spirits for free in the lounge is that they legally aren't allowed to in France.

Café Marco Polo across the street has good food. I like the outside seating area. I had a really good veal dish with a great sauce there last time.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What law is that? 😂
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by hugolover
What law is that? 😂
I guess it's a french law either that or that manager was lying. I gave them a good TA review but did complain about no free spirits and this was their response:
Concerning the Executive Lounge, I am sorry to inform you that the french law does not allow us to provide any type of spirits for free. Wine, and beers remain however available and our Chef prepare himself on a daily basis some fresh and delicious "amuses-bouches".
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by manneca
I'm in the lounge right now. I checked in Monday around 1-ish. I was upgraded from Superior to Deluxe for my entire stay (6 nights on points). Staff is terrific. Breakfast is ho hum. I'm eating in the restaurant and then moving to the lounge for coffee after breakfast. As usual, a larger selection in the restaurant. (At 35 euro for breakfast, I'm glad it's free; there's no way I'd pay 35 euro for the IMHO meager selections, but then I'm used to Asian breakfasts where there's SE Asian, Indian, American selections and lots of veggies In the restaurant there are eggs, bacon and/or sausage, tomatoes, beans, cereals, a selection of fruit, cold meat and cheese, croissants and pain au chocolat and another pastry. On Tuesday there was a veggie, but not today. .) The spread in the evening is good. The first night I came down to the lounge at 6 and the hot food was gone. I don't know what the meat was (there were green onions in the dish), but they replaced it with fried cheese. For the last two nights, it's been fish which I need to eat more of. Fish, potatoes, an avocado with turkey breast open face sandwich, two salads, raw veggies and a yoghurt sauce. Cheesecake and a chocolate torte. (Last night it was just chocolate chip cookies). Three wines: red, white, rose. No hard stuff that I can see. I'm a lone female, so not having to go out to dinner is nice, even though I'm a foodie. I like the location. I'm walking places in the morning and taking public transportation back in the afternoon.
Thanks for your comments. Is the deluxe room very small compared to 350 sq ft?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, 20 years
Must be a new law, all the bygone Paris Hiltons I stayed in had free flow Champagne and spirits, In fact the olde Eifel Tower Hilton started free flow champagne at 10:00 AM through 11:00 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That sounds like nonsense. They're in Evian and Strasbourg. What a bizarre "law".
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chang11
Must be a new law, all the bygone Paris Hiltons I stayed in had free flow Champagne and spirits, In fact the olde Eifel Tower Hilton started free flow champagne at 10:00 AM through 11:00 PM.
The response from management was back in 2015 when I had my first stay. Last time I was there was in July of 2018 and they've never had any hard liquor in the lounge. I just thought it was weird because every lounge I've been at in Europe has had spirits.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 5:40 am

I don't know how many have stayed at both properties, but can anyone speak to the merits of the Opera (80,000 a night in summer) vs WA Amsterdam (95,000 a night)? I'm Diamond if that matters at all.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by jbandy10
I don't know how many have stayed at both properties, but can anyone speak to the merits of the Opera (80,000 a night in summer) vs WA Amsterdam (95,000 a night)? I'm Diamond if that matters at all.
While I haven't stayed at the WA Amsterdam, I don't think the Hilton Opera will come close. I found the Opera to be a 4-star hotel at best, half of the rooms have an internal courtyard (i.e., no) view, and a majority of the rooms are very small. The executive lounge is tiny and breakfast was minimal... with powdered eggs. Need I say more? Since Opera is often fully booked in the summer, I would not anticipate any room upgrade.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
While I haven't stayed at the WA Amsterdam, I don't think the Hilton Opera will come close. I found the Opera to be a 4-star hotel at best, half of the rooms have an internal courtyard (i.e., no) view, and a majority of the rooms are very small. The executive lounge is tiny and breakfast was minimal... with powdered eggs. Need I say more? Since Opera is often fully booked in the summer, I would not anticipate any room upgrade.
That's unfortunate. I really think my wife would prefer Paris over Amsterdam overall, but gosh the Paris Hilton options aren't a great spread. Maison Astor has been getting some really terrifying reviews lately with the room noise and terrible breakfast. Niepce seems okay for the price, but far from 5 star luxury. At this point, I'd almost want to just stay at WA Versailles and take the train into the city, but who really wants that?
Old Sep 6, 2019, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
What law is that? ��
France has separate license for service alcoholic beverages under 18 degrees alcohol (in practice, wine and beer) or over. I suspect that they mean that the lounge does not have the full spirit license. Of course, they may have chosen not to apply for it as it is hard to imagine a major hotel (even one less luxurious than this one on paper) not getting the full license for all of its bars if it applied for it.

Last edited by orbitmic; Sep 6, 2019 at 10:44 am
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
France has separate license for service alcoholic beverages under 16 degrees alcohol (in practice, wine and beer) or over. I suspect that they mean that the lounge does not have the full spirit license. Of course, they may have chosen not to apply for it as it is hard to imagine a major hotel (even one less luxurious than this one on paper) not getting the full license for all of its bars if it applied for it.
I don't think France is the only country-even European country, with such a law. If its right that the hotel doesn't have this licence then its wrong to say there is a law stopping it. The issue is the hotel hasn't applied or has been refused a licence.

The website shows a bar menu packed full of intoxicating beverages.

Even so, I am surprised that each individual venue needs a licence; the bar, restaurant, room service, conference rooms and venues. Nah. Thats unheard of and again comes back to the general idea that the property is being a bit Hilaryesque with the truth.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I don't think France is the only country-even European country, with such a law. If its right that the hotel doesn't have this licence then its wrong to say there is a law stopping it.
Nobody suggested that France was unique in having different licenses for different types of alcoholic beverages. People were asking what law that could be that prevented the lounge from serving spirit and I was simply answering their question.

And I prefer to personally refrain from assessing whether this would be consistent with what the manager said or not as we only have indirect accounts. He may have said something like: "it would be illegal for us to serve spirits in the lounge" which, if the lounge is not covered by the license would actually be accurate. As mentioned in my earlier answer, it is open to debate whether that might be the hotel's own fault for not applying for the right/full license if this is indeed the case.

The website shows a bar menu packed full of intoxicating beverages.

Even so, I am surprised that each individual venue needs a licence; the bar, restaurant, room service, conference rooms and venues. Nah. Thats unheard of and again comes back to the general idea that the property is being a bit Hilaryesque with the truth.

I don't think the political reference is particularly useful, but to answer on the substance, it really depends. a "licence 4" could have been applied for for the whole hotel activities, or just for the restaurant, specific departments, etc. I'm not privy to the hotel management so I have absolutely no idea what they have or have not done.

Again, I have no interest in defending or criticising the hotel, I have no idea what their situation is, I was just making a factual point to answer a question several people raised.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Its in the brand standard to have a minimum of four spirits in a European Hilton lounge. That means it's up-to the hotel to apply for licences to make that possible.

It's established that Strasbourg and Evian both have spirits in their lounge. I think CDG does as well, but it's years since I last stayed there.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I hadn't gotten around to making a full post but I stayed here for a week when I was in town for work in August and was disappointed. This property really should not be the marquee Hilton property in Paris.

As others have mentioned, the rooms are tiny, though my bathroom was quite large (I booked a deluxe room as the lower level was sold out). My room had an uneven floor that creaked, and a minibar fridge that didn't seem to actually cool anything. The breakfast room is decent, but the exec lounge is sad. No spirits, the wine and beer on offer were both very poor quality, and the food at the happy hour was just strange. I only was there for one evening (was at work until after happy hour ended most days) and they had goat cheese on bread, along side various cheeses. And this is without mentioning other service failures.

When I go back to Paris for work in a few weeks I may just stay at the Hampton Inn again and save my company about 50% of the hotel expense, or stay at one of the numerous Marriott properties in the area.
Thunderroad and EqualOpp like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.