Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Online Check-In or OLCI: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Online Check-In or OLCI: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2011, 8:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, UA 1P, MR Platinum, Avis First
I almost always use OLCI. Every single time they just list a room number and brief description (beds, close to elevator). Like JDiver said, if you haven't been to the property 305 looks the same as 315.

Except - I stayed at a Homewood in Houston. They offered an "interactive" online check-in. I was able to click on all of the available rooms on all floors and see the outline (layout) of all rooms. I was able to select the larger room away from the elevator by clicking on it! It was the only OLCI that I've had that allowed me to choose from any room and not just 3-4 preselected rooms.
Old May 5, 2011, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by JDiver
If one is not familiar with the property and how they will treat an OLCI, it's a total crap shoot, IMO.
And that is where the website mentioned in this thread comes in:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...oms-views.html
Old May 6, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by done t
I almost always use OLCI. Every single time they just list a room number and brief description (beds, close to elevator). Like JDiver said, if you haven't been to the property 305 looks the same as 315.

Except - I stayed at a Homewood in Houston. They offered an "interactive" online check-in. I was able to click on all of the available rooms on all floors and see the outline (layout) of all rooms. I was able to select the larger room away from the elevator by clicking on it! It was the only OLCI that I've had that allowed me to choose from any room and not just 3-4 preselected rooms.
I've seen that at one hotel (can't remember which one) and thought it was much, much more useful compared to the normal OLCI you typically see. The only way I use OLCI at the moment is if one of the options is a room I've stayed in before and I know I liked it. That doesn't happen all that often.
Old May 6, 2011, 10:08 pm

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
Been offered the OLCI at a Hilton we've stayed at a few times recently, but I've never used it, as my requests for an upgraded room usually are granted by the front desk staff or pre-booked by the hotel's front desk manager. If I use the OLCI to view the choices offered, is there still the option of not using it based on what they show available at the time? Don't want to get locked into a room that may not be as good as one available from the front desk.

Also, any point in using the "Room Chosen at Checkin" rate, as it's usually the lowest of the general AAA/CAA rates, but I thought that using that option is really a crapshoot as to what you may get?

Thanks,

bj-21.
Old May 6, 2011, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I used it last weekend at the Hilton Financial District and it was mainly because I Wanted an end room and called the property and they verified it was an end room. Get there the next night and they gave me an entirely different room and the clerk acted surprised I had checked in when I showed him the printout and said they had no corner rooms leftg but said I was getting my upgrade by being on a higher floor (high floors at the hotel are more even though they are the same as the rooms on lower floors)

I only use it if there is a corner room or if it is a hotel with an exec floor, if there is an exec floor room that shows up.

One problem I ran into last year was when a flight was cancelled due to bad weather conditions in NYC and they had closed all three airports in NYC and the flights were canceled for the night. Called the diamond desk to say I wasn't arriving and wanted to make sure my room would be available the next morning still and also to see if they would waive the no show fee that night. The property did it for me but said it was a real hassle if you do an OLCI because on their end it shows you checked in already and there are other steps involved.d
Old May 6, 2011, 10:27 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
A couple of things to note:

a) Although OLCI opens up the day before your stay, there are usually much better room choices (and, in my experience, often upgraded rooms) if you wait until the morning of the stay.

b) Using OLCI will charge your credit card at that point. This may not be a big deal but one time I OLCI'ed at a Homewood at which I was using a Free Night Stay Cert and at check-out it took the clerk awhile to undo everything so my card wasn't in fact charged.
Old May 6, 2011, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by cblaisd
A couple of things to note:

a) Although OLCI opens up the day before your stay, there are usually much better room choices (and, in my experience, often upgraded rooms) if you wait until the morning of the stay.

b) Using OLCI will charge your credit card at that point. This may not be a big deal but one time I OLCI'ed at a Homewood at which I was using a Free Night Stay Cert and at check-out it took the clerk awhile to undo everything so my card wasn't in fact charged.
Sure it isn't a hold, as opposed to a charge?
Old May 7, 2011, 7:15 am

Programs: UA, AA, HH, MR
I've used OLCI many times (nearly always at at HI) and have had no problems. Sometimes I'm offered an "upgraded" room, other times no dice.

A few times I've shown my ID and have been given my key. Recently (last 18 months or so) it seems like I've been asked to sign the contract/slip even with OLCI. And I say that because I initially was under the impression this would go away with OLCI...I thought it was, "here's my ID, thanks for my key."
Old May 7, 2011, 8:24 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Sure it isn't a hold, as opposed to a charge?
My bad. Yes.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
My idea to make online check-in actually beneficial

Maybe this isn't even possible, but this is my idea:

- Check-in online as normal
- On the day of arrival you receive a text/email signifying your room is ready and your room number. It can also include information regarding lounge access/whatnot
- Upon arriving at the hotel you simply go straight to your room and use your HHonors card as your room key

Sure there is the question of distributing new HHonors cards with a magnetic strip and coming up with some sort of key maker allowing someone on property to program the door lock for your arrival, but I think it might be plausible to phase in over the next few years.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 3:16 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
There is a hotel somewhere that does that. There is no front desk just iPad like devices to check-in. Elites get an email with the room number and they walk right up to their room and use their elite card.

I like the idea in principle but what if you lose your card? Or you crazy ex/family member/stalker steals your card? Plus there is the problem that if you opt out of Hilton emails/mail you opt out of a yearly card.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by It'sHip2B^2
Plus there is the problem that if you opt out of Hilton emails/mail you opt out of a yearly card.
Or you just may not get a card at all.

Good idea, but I rather suspect implementation will take a lot of work.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 4:56 am

Programs: AF Frequence Plus Rouge pour toujours, BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, BW Rewards Diamond
bmi has had the smart idea in the past on having unmanned lounges with elite cards used as access. You can probably guess what happened next (whoever came up with idea is probably not in the company anymore).

UTA
Old Aug 12, 2011, 5:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I can see all sorts of problems where people lose their elite cards, etc.

Having some sort of kiosk, where you swipe your credit card and receive your room keys might improve it a bit.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by kipper
I can see all sorts of problems where people lose their elite cards, etc.

Having some sort of kiosk, where you swipe your credit card and receive your room keys might improve it a bit.
Travelodge does this already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.