Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Online Check-In or OLCI: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Online Check-In or OLCI: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2010, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I always look at OLCI when it's available.

If I see an upgrade that I consider good enough, I check-in to have the peace of mind that I have something acceptable. At real check-in, I sometimes ask if anything better is available; sometimes not.

If I don't see any decent offerings on OLCI, I might give them a call if I have a few minutes. I've had success in the past getting a decent room added to the system as available for me, and then I'll finish OLCI.

All of this is as a Gold where I know I'm probably not in the running for the Presidential Suite or anything. I use OLCI simply to assure a decent room - Exec floor, corner room, whatever. I think if I held Diamond status, I'd roll the dice a little more and allow the front desk to assign my upgrade.
Old May 3, 2010, 4:44 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by pinniped

If I see an upgrade that I consider good enough, I check-in to have the peace of mind that I have something acceptable. At real check-in, I sometimes ask if anything better is available; sometimes not.
+1

I look at the options I'm given, if I don't like the options, then I don't check in online.

Yes, you are guaranteed a reservation and your preferred bed type regardless.
Old May 3, 2010, 6:06 pm

I rarely do OLCI especially if it's a hotel with which I'm not familiar.

Bobette
Old May 3, 2010, 7:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
+2 here. I may also communicate with the property beforehand, or choose to go and deal with the desk clerk on arrival. It depends on what I am offered with OLCI, whether I know the property, predicted time of arrival, special considerations, etc.

Originally Posted by pinniped

<snip>
Old May 4, 2010, 4:36 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by alc
I used to check-in online so I can get my room that I want reserved from the list of available rooms. But I do not do this anymore after knowing the room that I pick might not be the best room for that property. Also, sometimes the agent in the morning could assign you a different (better) room than the one the system pick automatically. For example, I got a PH suite upgrade last night. But if I did check-in online, I will get an executive room. Most front desk (that I experience with) go with the room you have selected already and do not offer you even if you can get a better room.
Your experience is similar to mine but I'll add one more situation: My room selection was totally ignored. On that occasion, I was greeted at the front desk with a pre-check in packet for a different room number than what I had selected. "Oh, we do it all the time" was the FD reply.

I give OLCI a big "meh".
Old May 4, 2010, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Already posted above, but to summarize:

1. Do OLCI and see if you can get an UG
2. If not, try calling (if you really care)
3. If not, then check in and be really really nice.
Old May 4, 2010, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
To elaborate a bit: the two properties where I've stayed a few times and nearly always call them are the Palmer House and Hilton Chicago.

Usually I'll see a wide mix of rooms available with different attributes, all roughly the same in overall desirability, but not all of my preferred attributes in one room. For example, they'll have a list of rooms: Exec 2 Queens, lower floor King, lower floor corner room smoking,, etc.

So I'm not calling and asking them to throw a suite into the mix...just another similar room to what was already in my selection list, but with my desired floor, bed, smoke, view, etc. I've always been able to get at least a basic Exec King nonsmoking room assigned, and then I finish OLCI.
Old May 4, 2010, 11:22 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by JDiver
+2 here. I may also communicate with the property beforehand, or choose to go and deal with the desk clerk on arrival. It depends on what I am offered with OLCI, whether I know the property, predicted time of arrival, special considerations, etc.
+3.

Additionally, when booked at a Homewood Suites, OLCI is even more useful as it displays the property's floor plan. They really ought to do that for all HH properties.
Old May 4, 2010, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Checking in online, I almost never get any additional requested MyWay ammenities (water, snacks, etc). I stopped using online checkin for property types (Hampton, Homewood) where I expect to find my in-room snackies.
Old May 4, 2010, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I am in the camp of attempting to OLCI. If I like the options, I proceed. If no upgrade is showing or the rooms just do not look desirable, I stop the process and go to the desk and hope for the best. I tend to prefer upper floor, King, Non-Connecting, away from vending and elevators.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
bump me 3
Old Jul 23, 2010, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
So if I realize I will arrive later at night for a long term stay, then am I better off trying the OLCI earlier in the day? Does time of day for performing the OLCI matter??
Old Jul 24, 2010, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i have never found any real benefit of doing an olci....
Old Jul 24, 2010, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
So if I realize I will arrive later at night for a long term stay, then am I better off trying the OLCI earlier in the day? Does time of day for performing the OLCI matter??
I don't think it matters, but I have seen OLCI room choices disappear and appear as options as the day goes on, although usually it is the former. Sometimes I am presented with a list of five rooms 24 hours before checkin and if I see an exec floor, I grab it. Sometimes I see a high floor no smoking King room (my prefs) on the initial list ut then later it is not an option. If I am looking for an exec floor room, I wait until I am there if not given as an option.

I also notice that the first time of checkin is almost always pushed back as I wait longer for a more desireable room. If a room meets your preferences, take it.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
My mindset exactly. ^

Originally Posted by OB one
Sometimes I am presented with a list of five rooms 24 hours before checkin and if I see an exec floor, I grab it. Sometimes I see a high floor no smoking King room (my prefs) on the initial list ut then later it is not an option. If I am looking for an exec floor room, I wait until I am there if not given as an option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.