Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Online Check-In or OLCI: The Definitive Thread

Online Check-In or OLCI: The Definitive Thread

Old Nov 27, 10, 9:13 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Only what my AmEx Plat offers me
Question OLCI Question: Does room availability change during the course of the day?

I have a stay tomorrow at the Seatac Hilton. I am gold.

I went to see what I was being offered in regards to OLCI and there were three unremarkable rooms to choose from...none appeared to be an upgrade.

If I wait till later might the inventory change or is this the best they will offer for the OLCI option?
Old Nov 27, 10, 9:22 am
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
It absolutely changes.

On two recent six-hotel-total trips, the four hotels with upgradeable inventory did not show any upgrade in OLCI until the morning of check in. Looking the day before, all room choices were un-remarkable.
Old Nov 27, 10, 9:35 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Only what my AmEx Plat offers me
Thanks!!
Old Nov 28, 10, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
It absolutely changes.

On two recent six-hotel-total trips, the four hotels with upgradeable inventory did not show any upgrade in OLCI until the morning of check in. Looking the day before, all room choices were un-remarkable.
+1, another reason why if you don't get a "True" UG when doing OLCI, quit and redo later.
Old Nov 28, 10, 10:24 am

Of course the answer is it can. But that would wholly depend on how often the location updates its availability, and how their system is tied into the main system.
Old Dec 31, 10, 9:27 am
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Had three stays this week: an ES, Hampton, and HGI.

At the beginning of the OLCI period, only standard rooms showing. On the morning of check-in, all had changed to upgraded rooms
Old Dec 31, 10, 11:06 am

Programs: Delta DM!
I'm kind of irked with the whole OLCI system, seeing as how the one time I used it, I selected an upgraded room... Upon checking in to the hotel, I was given the key to the upgraded room, in which I promptly walked in on a poor woman who screamed. (I would have, too!) So I went back down to the desk and they said "Oh, I'm sorry, we must have given that away to a diamond" (I'm a gold). He then said "I would give you free breakfast but you already have that."

Not so thrilled
Old Mar 27, 11, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Did OLCI, now cannot access my reservation

I checked in on-line for a stay tomorrow.

Now, when I try to access my reservation on Hilton.dumb, all I get back is a blank screen.

Has anyone else seen this?

Is there a work-around?

=========================================

Added... on the phone with the Diamond desk.

They tell me that this is the way the system is intended to operate.

They claim that, once you do OLCI, it is Hilton's intent that you should no longer be able to access your reservation details on-line.

?!?!

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Mar 27, 11 at 12:46 pm
Old Mar 29, 11, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter View Post
I checked in on-line for a stay tomorrow.

Now, when I try to access my reservation on Hilton.dumb, all I get back is a blank screen.

Has anyone else seen this?

Is there a work-around?

=========================================

Added... on the phone with the Diamond desk.

They tell me that this is the way the system is intended to operate.

They claim that, once you do OLCI, it is Hilton's intent that you should no longer be able to access your reservation details on-line.

?!?!
I always get this, and after the first time or two it happened to me, I now remember to always print my rez before I do OLCI.

Do you have an email of the rez? If so, at least you can print that; it's similar in content to the online version but does not contain the hotel location map IIRC.

OOTH, the benefits of OLCI are somewhat dubious in many cases. Despite the claim, you have to present just as much at check-in as you would had you not done OLCI, and it takes just as long. So unless you can pick a much better room for you than they would otherwise pick themselves, why bother given this headache?
Old Mar 29, 11, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
I always get this, and after the first time or two it happened to me, I now remember to always print my rez before I do OLCI.

Do you have an email of the rez? If so, at least you can print that; it's similar in content to the online version but does not contain the hotel location map IIRC.

OOTH, the benefits of OLCI are somewhat dubious in many cases. Despite the claim, you have to present just as much at check-in as you would had you not done OLCI, and it takes just as long. So unless you can pick a much better room for you than they would otherwise pick themselves, why bother given this headache?
I didn't realize you couldn't retrieve your reservation after doing OLCI. I have all my travel confirm emails in a folder of their own on my yahoo though if I would need to check on it.

I only use OLCI if I know the property and it is showing a room I know I want, or if I can tell it's an end room, or in the case of a property with an exectuive floor and a room shows up there I will do the OLCI. There have been times before when an EL room hasn't been available on OLCI but have received the upgrade at the hotel.

There was a property I did stay at once where you could do an OLCI and just go to the valet desk and show your ID and they had your room key ready (I think it was palmer house) so OLCI is handy in those situations.
Old Mar 30, 11, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
I didn't realize you couldn't retrieve your reservation after doing OLCI. I have all my travel confirm emails in a folder of their own on my yahoo though if I would need to check on it.

I only use OLCI if I know the property and it is showing a room I know I want, or if I can tell it's an end room, or in the case of a property with an exectuive floor and a room shows up there I will do the OLCI. There have been times before when an EL room hasn't been available on OLCI but have received the upgrade at the hotel.

There was a property I did stay at once where you could do an OLCI and just go to the valet desk and show your ID and they had your room key ready (I think it was palmer house) so OLCI is handy in those situations.
I was able to retreive and cancel my reservation after online check-in a few weeks ago?
Old May 5, 11, 7:34 am

Programs: UA MP HH
Choosing room at OLCI

Does Gold get this benefit, or only Diamond?
Old May 5, 11, 8:30 am

Programs: DL DM, DL 1.3 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Total Rewards Diamond
I got it as a Gold at the Homewood Suites over the past few months.
Old May 5, 11, 9:25 am

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Question What are OLCI rules, pros, cons

Can somebody please explain (or provide a link) abt the rules (which Hilton brands, how many days/hrs in advance, etc.) and pros/cons. Thx.
Old May 5, 11, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Pretty much all gone these days
I have only been offered it at properties that are fully integrated into the Hilton payment system (in the UK, this means that they process credit card payments by signature verification on the main computer, rather than using a standalone Chip & PIN terminal).

I have only been offered it since turning Gold.

I have been offered it the day before arrival.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: