Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Online Check-In or OLCI: The Definitive Thread

Online Check-In or OLCI: The Definitive Thread

Old Dec 12, 2008, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: WoH Globalist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Hilton Gold online check-in

I found this on "my messages"

Get a step ahead with eCheck-In! As a HHonors Gold VIP, you can check-in online starting up to 24 (or as little as two) hours before you arrive. Simply go to the Travel Summary page to complete your eCheck-In.

Has anyone tried it? I wonder if it will also upgrade you depending in your VIP choices.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 12:02 pm

Please see: The definitive online checkin thread
Old Jan 10, 2009, 6:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum,Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, United Gold IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond
Online Check in question

I am staying at the Embassy Suites in Niagara tomorrow night. I believe I will get an email today offering online check in . I believe that the ES does not offer upgrades as golds automatically, but I have heard that upgrades are still possible if its slow ( Sunday night in January I am sure it will be). Should I still check in online, or will it be better to wait to get to the hotel. Any recommendations?
Old Jan 10, 2009, 7:19 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
shouldnt really matter - when I stayed there I did OLCI when at the desk asked if there were any upgraded / higher / jacuzzi rooms avail and yes so no problem.
If you are offered a room that sounds good using OLCI accept it so at least you have a decent room on a highish floor ... do remember that if it is cold and there is a lot of low cloud you do not want a room that is too high as you will be above the clouds and wont be able to see the falls.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 7:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum,Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, United Gold IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond
Checked in online got a room on the 40th floor facing the American falls. When I arrived the clerk at the desk advised that I had been upgraded to a junior suite facing both the Canadian and American falls on the 38th floor. The room was nice and had a fireplace with a fabulous view of the falls. I was pleased that I got upgraded and didn't even have to ask^
Old Jan 13, 2009, 8:34 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
I have usually been disappointed with the online check-in room offerings. It seems like a waste of time because you often end up with a different room than the one assigned. When I do a normal check-in, I usually end up with a better room than was offered online.

BTW, I stayed at the Doubletree in Niagara last weekend. It's further from the action and consequently was much cheaper. The US border agent found it very suspicious that I flew all the way from Seattle to spend one night at the Canadian falls. He made me pop the trunk before letting me go. I didn't want to get into a big discussion about mileage runs - that would have gotten me questioned for hours.

Enjoy your upgrade.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jeeves
I have usually been disappointed with the online check-in room offerings. It seems like a waste of time because you often end up with a different room than the one assigned. When I do a normal check-in, I usually end up with a better room than was offered online.

BTW, I stayed at the Doubletree in Niagara last weekend. It's further from the action and consequently was much cheaper. The US border agent found it very suspicious that I flew all the way from Seattle to spend one night at the Canadian falls. He made me pop the trunk before letting me go. I didn't want to get into a big discussion about mileage runs - that would have gotten me questioned for hours.

Enjoy your upgrade.
Ditto with OLCI. If no UG room is available, I just wait til I get to the hotel.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 12:46 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Online check in won't

I tried checking in for tomorrow and the system won't do it. I have a bad feeling. Anyone else experience this and know what it means (if anything)?
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Some of the hotels will pre-checkin gold/diamond which seems to disable online check-in. This typically happens the day of check in and not the night before, so I can't say for sure. Which property is it?
Old Oct 17, 2009, 5:27 am

HGI New Orleans Convention Center.

Well, we'll see! There's a big convention in town and everything is full, hence my concern.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 1:31 pm

Just to follow up... I don't know if this was the issue or not. The hotel was full and is also filling up again. Rooms were being handed out on a first come, first serve basis this afternoon.

Just postulating, but maybe they had it turned off to allow the efficient allocation of rooms.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by emma dog
I tried checking in for tomorrow and the system won't do it. I have a bad feeling. Anyone else experience this and know what it means (if anything)?
Is your intention to do the online check-in and not go to the hotel? In this case, you won't get your night credit as far as I know @:-)
Old Oct 18, 2009, 8:20 pm

No... I wanted to precheck in so I could get a decent room and not be walked or have any other issues. Not sure what gave you any impression otherwise.
Old May 3, 2010, 3:09 pm

Better to check-in online or in person?

I see the feature to do this online, but what difference does it make? If you have a reservation, isn't your room guaranteed?
Old May 3, 2010, 3:36 pm
alc

I used to check-in online so I can get my room that I want reserved from the list of available rooms. But I do not do this anymore after knowing the room that I pick might not be the best room for that property. Also, sometimes the agent in the morning could assign you a different (better) room than the one the system pick automatically. For example, I got a PH suite upgrade last night. But if I did check-in online, I will get an executive room. Most front desk (that I experience with) go with the room you have selected already and do not offer you even if you can get a better room.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.