FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1440180-2013-changes-hh-reward-stays-new-cat-more-pts-needed.html)

jamesteroh Feb 25, 2013 10:53 am

Originally Posted by lkar (Post 20313867)
This is the camp I'm in too. It seems pretty clear that if you call right now you are going to get one of two answers -- that AXON is going away or that something new is coming in the next week or few days. What good is it going to do for people to keep calling and post "I got answer A" or "I got answer B"?

Same with the citi certs question. Mommypoints runs an affiliate link for the card and so she has doubtlessly has contacts materially different from Hilton line supervisors. Unless and until told otherwise, I'm going with her post. Her contacts, presumably, are citi not hilton contacts. It's their product, so I'm thinking they would know. They also have the most incentive to get hilton to play ball, since they've been selling the card with the promise of free nights and if people who earned a free night with $10k spend before the changes were announced are limited in where they can book, citi is going to have a serious problem on its hands.

But ultimately, we'll know when we'll know. It's not going to change my behavior one way or the other. In the next month, I'm going to book every AXON I theoretically might need. If something almost as good comes along, I'll see what's what when it does.

Hopefully the mommypoints article is correct.

Seems like no one at the diamond desk knows anymore about what is going on than anyone here since we all get different answers.

I am REALLY surprised that the devaluation didn't get leaked by any websites before the email from Hilton came out.

ChinaShrek Feb 25, 2013 11:16 am

I think the entire discussion related to the AXON award and the Amex card should be made a separate thread. It only involves holders of the credit card. It is entirely separate from the creation of new categories and and the changing of hotel categories for various hotels.

EDIflyer Feb 25, 2013 11:38 am

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek (Post 20314121)
I think the entire discussion related to the AXON award and the Amex card should be made a separate thread. It only involves holders of the credit card. It is entirely separate from the creation of new categories and and the changing of hotel categories for various hotels.

^ +1 - it's like rubbing salt in the wound hearing about these lovely AXON awards and VRs that most of us don't have access to :D - I always knew they were there but it just reminds me what a doubly bad deal we're getting! :( I do think they should be honouring free night certs for the new increased categories though - would be a bit weird if it was Cat 1-7 & WA, yet not 8-10!

freakflyer Feb 25, 2013 11:43 am

Aghhh. I just checked the Doubletree New York Times Square for later this year. Going up from 50,000 pts/night to 95,000 pts/night. I was working on moving my Amex points to HHonors (through an airline program to maximize the exchange). Not any more.

winter15 Feb 25, 2013 11:45 am

Called Diamond desk last week and the rep said she had not heard from anyone regarding the devaluation and that it was going to be a good change for diamond members. Ha! I am not that amused. I went ahead and booked AXON awards for Christmas for the Conrad Maldives, Hilton Seychelles and Hilton Mauritius. All were at 37.5k a night...a great deal. At 95k/night I am not sure. FYI - Looks like availability at those resorts are now limited over the holidays.

Boraxo Feb 25, 2013 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR (Post 20302365)
What's really stupid is that they have alienated their active revenue source to fix a problem -- credit card churners and VR abusers -- that could be easily fixed by limiting the number of times one obtains bonus points one receives when filing a credit card application for the AMEX/Citi HHonors product, and do as the Chase Marriott does and limit the bonus points to a one time thing.

Instead, those who actually stay in their hotels are bearing the brunt of this devaluation equally with those who caused it in the first place.

As one who has point balances in all programs, I feel you pain. However to be fair the devaluation has occurred across all hotel programs, not just HHonors, and the loyal travelers are shafted everywhere (presumably at the expense of credit card churners). One can correctly presume this is a reflection of the uptick in hotel rates and occupancy, as well as general "point" inflation due to sales to bank. If you think about it the result makes sense as the hotel chains (like airlines) value the millions in annual revenue they received from banks but not the much smaller $$ they receive from any individual "loyal" consumer.

Originally Posted by Brendan (Post 20303256)
It so happens that I last stayed at a HHonors hotel in 2010. So when I have scored Munich, I shall cancel my Amex & yell good-bye!

This is really the best strategy - if everyone would cancel their hotel affiliated credit cards then the banks would be unhappy, and the hotel chains would be forced to adjust. However this is unlikely to happen in any meaningful #s. So then you just have a few elites here and there who send nasty letters to customer service - the effect on business may not even be noticeable as Priority Club elites switch to HHonors, HHonors elites switch to Marriott, Marriott switch to Hyatt, etc.

Originally Posted by msc75 (Post 20305002)
Unfortunately not all of us are able to book as far as out 2014; either because our travel dates are not set or we're short of points to book the AXON right now. I agree with the PP that the number of visitors will drop after next month.

However that will only mean less people redeeming points, may even increase the number of people paying cash, so I'm not sure that the properties will care.

Exactly. The properties won't miss all the elites staying free, they will only care if their corporate bookings are down. But will be fun to watch them whine when the next recession hits and they start discounting heavily on priceline when occupancy plummets.

Originally Posted by diver858 (Post 20308078)
Hilton is in the business to make money, I would like to believe that some extensive research went in to this decision.

First and foremost, they may have determined that Diamonds and Golds value bennies like free WiFi, breakfasts, upgrades (particularly for award, leisure stays) more than stays at exotic resorts for below market redemptions..

Nah, don't buy it. I don't think they research it at all, unnecessary as it has been done so many times by so many competitors, with no reprecussions.

As for elites I don't think you can say one size fits all. Personally I find most of the perks to be useless. However I really do value the ability to book free rooms at expensive properties that I would not otherwise be able to afford, particularly during peak periods and last minute flexibility. That's top priority to me, and it is being massively devalued at Marriott, Hilton and Priority Club (and to some extent at SPG due to C+P changes). So I will be looking at Hyatt, and will be opening a Hyatt Chase account as well.

hugolover Feb 25, 2013 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by winter15 (Post 20314325)
Called Diamond desk last week and the rep said she had not heard from anyone regarding the devaluation and that it was going to be a good change for diamond members. Ha! I am not that amused. I went ahead and booked AXON awards for Christmas for the Conrad Maldives, Hilton Seychelles and Hilton Mauritius. All were at 37.5k a night...a great deal. At 95k/night I am not sure. FYI - Looks like availability at those resorts are now limited over the holidays.

Isn't 37.5k just a normal rate for Mauritius?

TishRo13 Feb 25, 2013 5:59 pm

The change really isnt that much at most places. As the cost of doing business rises, so does the cost of the "free" amenities and the point programs. What is not known to many is the hotels are required to pay Hilton for each member that stays at the hotel. They are charged for each member they sign up for the program. If there are AAA or AARP discounts given there is an additional fee the hotel must pay. There are fees and taxes for being able to run a credit card. The cost of cleaning supplies, linens, fixtures, furniture, food orders, wages, etc have increased. Its business 101, when the cost of running the business rises, the charge for the service must rise to stay profitable. Each award stay or Points and Pay stay ends up costing the hotel rather than them making any money on it. I am just thankful there is an award program at all so I get a little back for what I spend with them each year.

ncgator Feb 25, 2013 6:19 pm

I emailed HH concerning the Citi certs just wondering what type of response I would get. The reply was interesting in that she told me the limits on the certificate as stated and the timing of the category changes, but what was interesting was her response that what categories the certificate is good for is a Citi decision, not a HH decision. I guess I incorrectly assumed that HH decided at what level the certificates would good for. Here is some of the email response:

"I sincerely apologize for any confusion. The promotional certificates can be applied for any category 1-7 hotels and the Waldorf Collection for one night. The certificate is NOT accepted at Hilton Grand Vacation hotels, All-Inclusive hotels, the Embassy Suites Kingston Plantation Condos or at the Hilton Royale Palms. Unfortunately, we haven't been informed from Visa if they are going to make any changes on the categories. "

NJUPINTHEAIR Feb 25, 2013 6:33 pm

Don't you just love this coordination between HHonors and their credit card vendor? :rolleyes:

More importantly, don't you just love the proactive communication between HHonors and its membership on matters pertaining to their continued membership in the program? :rolleyes:

Thanks, NCGator, for pointing out yet another miserable way HHonors has failed us -- of course, we still don't have any official word from a HHonors rep what is to be come of the Citi certs as well as the AXON certs, and yet, there was an official rep from HHonors who sometimes posts in this forum. :td:

lkar Feb 25, 2013 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by ncgator (Post 20316530)
I emailed HH concerning the Citi certs just wondering what type of response I would get. The reply was interesting in that she told me the limits on the certificate as stated and the timing of the category changes, but what was interesting was her response that what categories the certificate is good for is a Citi decision, not a HH decision. I guess I incorrectly assumed that HH decided at what level the certificates would good for. Here is some of the email response:

"I sincerely apologize for any confusion. The promotional certificates can be applied for any category 1-7 hotels and the Waldorf Collection for one night. The certificate is NOT accepted at Hilton Grand Vacation hotels, All-Inclusive hotels, the Embassy Suites Kingston Plantation Condos or at the Hilton Royale Palms. Unfortunately, we haven't been informed from Visa if they are going to make any changes on the categories. "

From Visa? Sigh. Visa has nothing to do with it.

divemistressofthedark Feb 26, 2013 12:30 am

I strongly feel they should have rewarded loyal Hilton patrons with some sort of equitable adjustment on accrued points.

My example: -- if you earn interest on a bank account and the interest rate goes from 3% to 1%, they don't go back and retro actively take all the intest you earned at 3% back.
This is my issue almost entirely. Have banked a few hundred thousand points for a trip later this year and can't book AXON for it yet since I don't have the award travel booked/can't get dates yet.

The premium room devaluation hit at the end of the year after I had hoarded points all *that* year. Just starting to feel like Charlie Brown with a football - as soon as I get close to an award, the goalpost gets moved.

Also had a super bad experience at a very expensive Waldorf in Key West...just getting tired of Hilton's indifference generally. Will cut back on my Surpass spend (if not cancel the card entirely)... probably will move at least a few stays to Priceline.

stifle Feb 26, 2013 3:57 am

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek (Post 20314121)

Yes please. There are plenty of members who do not have and cannot get either of the credit cards and the signal/noise ratio isn't very good for them.

Originally Posted by freakflyer (Post 20314311)
Aghhh. I just checked the Doubletree New York Times Square for later this year. Going up from 50,000 pts/night to 95,000 pts/night. I was working on moving my Amex points to HHonors (through an airline program to maximize the exchange). Not any more.

You still have another month and a day to book at 50,000 points per night (or whatever other special rate you may be entitled to).

russ1h Feb 26, 2013 7:56 am

Yes please. There are plenty of members who do not have and cannot get either of the credit cards and the signal/noise ratio isn't very good for them.

+1 ^

Ritz Feb 26, 2013 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 20316199)
However to be fair the devaluation has occurred across all hotel programs, not just HHonors, and the loyal travelers are shafted everywhere (presumably at the expense of credit card churners).

While this may be the case - no major hotel program has massively devalued its points in such a drastic way as Hilton has done. Not Marriott, SPG or Hyatt. Not even Wyndham a few years back.

And Hilton has now done it twice - in 2 years.