FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1440180-2013-changes-hh-reward-stays-new-cat-more-pts-needed.html)

phi177 Feb 27, 2013 10:24 am

:mad: This change is ridiculous. Are you all not outraged? The value of my points was just cut in half. It sounds like people are just accepting it. We need to stand together and let Hilton know how we feel about this.

infernorice Feb 27, 2013 10:31 am

Has anyone tried to book a multi night stay starting on 3/27/2014? I plan to book 4 nights from 3/27 to 3/30 by calling on on 3/27/2013 (the day before cut over), does anyone if they allow multi nights from that day since the following days are more than a year out?

I really dont want to pay the new points rate if possible.

stifle Feb 27, 2013 10:39 am

Originally Posted by phi177 (Post 20326919)
:mad: This change is ridiculous. Are you all not outraged? The value of my points was just cut in half. It sounds like people are just accepting it. We need to stand together and let Hilton know how we feel about this.

I am resigned to it having no effect.

luv2ctheworld Feb 27, 2013 10:58 am

Originally Posted by phi177 (Post 20326919)

Originally Posted by stifle (Post 20327001)
I am resigned to it having no effect.

I don't recall any airline/hotel award program ever backtracking on their devaluation; regardless of how many of their members boycott or jump ship to other programs.

The only thing you or anyone who wants their concerns made clear is to send Hilton a copy of your stay that would have gone to Hilton, and let them know this is costing them real money/customers. Or, cancel existing paid reservations and let them know why.

It won't do anything, but it will help with the process of acceptance for what it is.

AnthonyF1227 Feb 27, 2013 11:21 am

Here you go folks. I took the PDF that hilton put out and extracted every hotel (I think) with its new category number. Here's a summary:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...psd331cd4f.png

and here are the hotels that are categories 9 & 10
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps3fe4cc3b.png

LowFlyOver Feb 27, 2013 11:35 am

Originally Posted by azepine00 (Post 20321760)
The difference is that some such as SPG or Hyatt (or UA and AA miles) simply keep up with inflation, economy and currency adjustments. They honor the value of their currency.
Within reasonable inflation I value those points and miles not too far from how I valued them 3-5 years ago (even though elite benefits are deteriorating but that's unrelated).

On the other hand other entities such as Hilton or Delta devalue points and miles year after year. It's no accident - those companies have a well planned goal of making sure a mile or a point you earn today will be worth substantially less tomorrow.

My bet is that Hilton cashes in big time. They sell points to credit card companies, airlines, whomever will buy them. Then, they run some sort of model to figure out how often in the future that they need to make adjustments to redemption rates. As many have noted, a number of properties actually have gone down in terms of points needed for award, particularly during "less busy" months, thereby encouraging people to use points when the hotel isn't full anyway. Instead of loathing the churners, Hilton has figured out how to sell their points for more extra cash than the nominal amounts of dough which churners actually cost them. Consequently, the program rewards churning and credit card loyalty as much or more than actually stays at Hilton properties. The business model is strong, at least for now.

phi177 Feb 27, 2013 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld (Post 20327126)
I don't recall any airline/hotel award program ever backtracking on their devaluation; regardless of how many of their members boycott or jump ship to other programs.

The only thing you or anyone who wants their concerns made clear is to send Hilton a copy of your stay that would have gone to Hilton, and let them know this is costing them real money/customers. Or, cancel existing paid reservations and let them know why.

It won't do anything, but it will help with the process of acceptance for what it is.

I appreciate the responses, but I don't think it's the right thing to sit back and roll over. I've been a loyal part of the program for over a decade; this isn't something that we should just accept. Makers Mark reversed their dumb decision because of very vocal customers. Why can't Hilton?

Notenut Feb 27, 2013 12:19 pm

I feel the same way, lots of little grains of sand wind up making a seashore. Besides re-directing stays to other chains and minimizing Hilton CC spend,keep making comments on social media as well, it couldn't hurt.

mnscout Feb 27, 2013 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by phi177 (Post 20327614)
I appreciate the responses, but I don't think it's the right thing to sit back and roll over. I've been a loyal part of the program for over a decade; this isn't something that we should just accept. Makers Mark reversed their dumb decision because of very vocal customers. Why can't Hilton?

While I believe you're overreacting, if you're truly outraged with the changes just take your business elsewhere. It's not rolling over. Just remember the adage about the best revenge and plan your trips accordingly. Easy as a pie.

phi177 Feb 27, 2013 12:47 pm

Exactly, Notenut. I don't think there's anything wrong with voicing our opinions and letting the company know we're upset. This change is absurd.

Mnscout, I don't believe I'm overreacting at all. For the places that I like to stay, my point value has been cut in half. I can no longer take the trips that I wanted to take. Incremental changes, sure--but we just went through one in 2009. That was enough. Of course, I'm outraged. Grandfather Gold/Diamond members in to the old structure or something, but don't slash the value of the points that your most loyal members and brand ambassadors worked to earn.

:-: I encourage you all to follow @HiltonDisHonors on Twitter to voice your concerns and hear the concerns of other loyal members who feel devalued.

jamesteroh Feb 27, 2013 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by phi177 (Post 20327877)
Exactly, Notenut. I don't think there's anything wrong with voicing our opinions and letting the company know we're upset. This change is absurd.

Mnscout, I don't believe I'm overreacting at all. For the places that I like to stay, my point value has been cut in half. I can no longer take the trips that I wanted to take. Incremental changes, sure--but we just went through one in 2009. That was enough. Of course, I'm outraged. Grandfather Gold/Diamond members in to the old structure or something, but don't slash the value of the points that your most loyal members and brand ambassadors worked to earn.

:-: I encourage you all to follow @HiltonDisHonors on Twitter to voice your concerns and hear the concerns of other loyal members who feel devalued.

I'm hoping the replacement for the AXON will be a discounted rate for diamonds. I'm sure Hiltons IT department can't handle it, but they need to offer discounted redemptions to their members that actually stay and spend money at their properties.

caGALINDO Feb 27, 2013 1:02 pm

they could make AXON awards avail only to diamonds... at least c'mon...

ps: im not even a diamond!

ILovetheReds Feb 27, 2013 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by phi177 (Post 20327877)

Grandfather Gold/Diamond members in to the old structure or something, but don't slash the value of the points that your most loyal members and brand ambassadors worked to earn.

They should grandfather in people who EARNED gold and diamond. I feel that anyone that has 15 or so stays or 45 nights or 5,000 base points in the past 12 months should be grandfathered in or have a different redemption structure.

People who have gold status by having a Citi Reserve or doing four stays in a year through an MVP or other fast track and only have four or five stays a year at Hilton are not their most loyal guests and didn't work to "earn" the status.

Come on Hilton, let the people that stay in your hotels enjoy some R&R time in your properties for our vacation instead of giving away the points and status to CC churners.

ILovetheReds Feb 27, 2013 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Notenut (Post 20327661)
I feel the same way, lots of little grains of sand wind up making a seashore. Besides re-directing stays to other chains and minimizing Hilton CC spend,keep making comments on social media as well, it couldn't hurt.

Hilton's FB site seems to delete post they don't like. I know there were quite a few posts from HH gold and diamond members who earned their status complaining about them giving out status so easilly when the Citi Reserve card was introduced and they deleted all those posts. I left a post complaining about the changes on the HH facebook page as well as the FB page of two properties I stay at on points frequently and those posts were removed as well.

ILovetheReds Feb 27, 2013 1:38 pm

The HAMPTON TS North and NY Hilton will be the same category as the Waldorf London and the Cavalieri in Rome??????? Whoever set these rates has obviously never been to all four of those properties.