Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by swag
Anyone else finding oddities with the seasonal adjustments?

I mean, I'd expect rate to fluctuate on the same schedule for all the hotels in a city. But checking New Orleans, that's not the case. The Roosevelt Hotel is 70K Feb-Apr and Oct-Nov, 50K other months. But at the Hampton Inn Downtown, 40K low season is Mar-Dec, and Jan-Feb is 60K.

That means that during January, the Hampton costs more that the Waldorf Astoria Collection Roosevelt, just two blocks away,
Someone has to pay for those bagel toppers at the Hampton breakfast!

In all seriousness, I really hope Hilton gets the message that their customers are going to return a big fat middle finger in response to this. I and many others have absolutely no reason at all not to book through Priceline anymore. Getting 50% off the BAR for 'x' number of nights adds up a lot quicker than earning the HHonors points from paid stays.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 8:24 pm

HH gold member, have 3 HH credit cards, and am opted-in to receive all communications and didn't receive the email.

... hilton, are you trying to make this even more of a surprise?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 8:26 pm

Programs: HHonnors Diamond, AA Gold, UA Silver
Thought #1:
If I were Hilton I would immediately start an additional bonus system for stayed nights (on top of the double points promo). With the massive devaluation of points, hilton can now offer much higher bonuses for paid stays to keep their frequent guests.

They could effectively shrink the value of points from credit cards and maintain the value of points for actual stays. wishful thinking I'm sure...

Thought #2
On a side note: What is the status match deal with Hyatt? I'm under the impression that SPG will not let you status match to their highest level, will Hyatt?

Thought #3
Thank goodness I burned a ton of points last spring and this winter (took the wife on a one month trip through the UK and Europe... all on points... hit it right on the 30% premium discount!!!). Just came back from two weeks in Hawaii (points again, thank you AXON and GLON).... unfortunately I still have a bunch of points... Looks like I'm going to need to lock down two weeks in southern Europe for next spring or book some Caribbean trips...
Old Feb 19, 2013, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Frankly, you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to my travel patterns. None....

To the airline or hotel, your money is as good as my employer's.

As far as hotels go, I stay in a hotel every week where I don't earn points at all, and I spend more on my hotel stays on my annual vacations than I do in the course of a year of work travel.

Just because you pay for stuff yourself doesn't entitle you to endless benefits with minimal input...
I take what you say with a grain of salt....

You and others who happen to travel a great deal on business think that you are somehow exalted over the itinerant business traveler, leisure traveler or pure credit cardholder and I just don't kowtow to the likes of you.

I do get endless benefits for a $40,000 spend and if you don't like it there are other chains out there that you might be more happy at but Hilton ain't one of them.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 8:31 pm

Programs: QF Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ahcjar103
HH gold member, have 3 HH credit cards, and am opted-in to receive all communications and didn't receive the email.

... hilton, are you trying to make this even more of a surprise?
Don't feel bad, I'm a multi year running Diamond and didn't get any emails.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
It's not really a tragedy. Think of all the money you'll save by becoming a Priceline or Kayak shopper for hotels. If you are staying 60+ nights a year you will save more than enough money to just pay for a nice holiday out of your own pocket. Sure, you'll miss out on being told "you're a valued customer" when you check in and you wont get upgraded to a big suite, but who cares? Hotels are for sleeping and working anyway. I did this 5 years ago and have never concerned myself with what hotel chain I should stay at since, it is very liberating. The only way hotels will increase, rather than decrease, benefits in the future is if more people start to behave as pure price shoppers. Once they realize this is happening they will quickly increase benefits to regain some loyalty.
The most sensible post in the whole thread. This isn't a tragedy by any definition of the word. These programs are subject to change at any time and we all knew that the only constant in these programs was change. Yes there are changes and it's not like the old times but nothing is in the hospitality or other industries is. We consider ourselves fortunate to have been able to stay at many great properties over the years and will need to adjust to these changes too. These points were meant for burning and they were never going to increase in value over time.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by StangGT909
Hopefully they update to include category 8,9, and 10 hotels

Weekend night certificate (s) is (are) earned after purchase requirements have been met with the Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card. A weekend night certificate is valid for one (1) weekend night standard accommodation at category 1-7 hotels and select Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, subject to availability and excluding All-Inclusive or Hilton Grand Vacation properties
That would really stink if they capped them at Category 7!!!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 8:46 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
I feel liberated

I have been contemplating jumping the gun to either Hyatt or SPG but I think this does it for me. I think I am going to go for the Platinum status match and move to SPG. As much as I don't like the fact that they have very few properties, I have no choice. This devaluation is a major for me. Are others moving business to SPG?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I bet you those HH members who are keen enough to have an HH branded card would definitely READ the email instead of deleting it.
It's been proven that you are much more likely to read a physical letter than an email.

You not only had to read the email you had click a link to enter the property(s) you stay at and see what the increase ( if any) was.

If they mail a letter it would say your 3 points is now 2..................

These companies don't do anything without a reason

edit, did you see the people on this forum saying they never got an email ?

Last edited by flyer4512; Feb 19, 2013 at 9:00 pm
Old Feb 19, 2013, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
7 category one properties in the US. What an Effing joke.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by colpuck
7 category one properties in the US. What an Effing joke.
We haven't seen a Category 1 at 5,000 points for quite some time. I remember there were some Hamptons at 6,500 for awhile but then it changed. There are quite a number of Cat 2 properties in the US and that is only 10,000 points.

This is why I say the devaluation is not as bad as Marriott's. They hardly had any properties decline in category/points.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
I take what you say with a grain of salt....

You and others who happen to travel a great deal on business think that you are somehow exalted over the itinerant business traveler, leisure traveler or pure credit cardholder and I just don't kowtow to the likes of you.

I do get endless benefits for a $40,000 spend and if you don't like it there are other chains out there that you might be more happy at but Hilton ain't one of them.
I think you are reading several things into my posts that are non-existent...

1) I am not a Hilton Honors member these days anymore. I was a Diamond for a long time, but in 2006 or 2007 that ended, so I have no dog in this particular fight. My point was that similarly to the hotels, the airlines have lost track of the core business they are in and are distributing benefits incorrectly (IMO).

2) I don't think that I am exalted (to use your term) over anyone. But if you are spending $40,000 on a credit card and Hilton gets 1 cent per mile from Amex, then Hilton makes $400 per year off you in pure profits. If you spend al of it in drugstores, then it would be $2400, right? I don't know what Hilton's profit margins are, but it should be pretty easy to calculate an equivalent hotel spend that generates $400/$2400 in profits. The big difference between your spend and the spend from a paid traveler (bysiness or leisure) is that your profit doesn't pay employees in the process. If all Hilton did was sell miles to Amex and then rent rooms on awards only, the entire business would collapse. Again...my point is you need paying chstomers so that you can have some who can get freebies.

3) What is it you take with a grain of salt? Nothing I said was even remotely untrue. You may not like it, but that is a different matter.

4) Enjoy Hilton Honors. You can have the program all to yourself. I am not really a chain kind of person. I generally prefer smaller, independently run hotels over chains. The only chain I like are Intercontinentals, and even then, I won't adjust travel plans to visit a certain IC property...if it works, great, if it doesn't, I stay somewhere else.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
How far ahead can one make HH reservations (typically)? As far ahead as Easter 2014?

Thanks!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by Wexflyer
How far ahead can one make HH reservations (typically)? As far ahead as Easter 2014?

Thanks!
1 year. (Covered upthread)
Old Feb 19, 2013, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AAExPlat

I won't adjust travel plans to visit a certain IC property...if it works, great, if it doesn't, I stay somewhere else.
You and I are actually more in agreement than you think. I am a member of many chains as I do like chains, but I weigh the benefits and detriments of each hotel as against price, elite regocnition and physical plant of the hotel. I am not wedded to Hilton family properties, quite the opposite, as Mariott is usually my first choice and all the others are generally co-equal in the secondary status. Then of course, it the decision to earn or burn as the calculus determines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.