Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

A UK Hilton has police raid my room, says I was running a brothel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A UK Hilton has police raid my room, says I was running a brothel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2012, 3:31 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
What I would have done: had the bobbies accompany me to the
front desk to get some clarification on the spot.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 3:31 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by brkandjfk
This is a part of the system of legal justice (in both the USA, and in England, where the system of policing in the USA is based.)
A minor point and not wishing to detract too much from your post (that I agree with by the way) but this incident neither took place in the USA nor in England.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 3:33 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by violist
What I would have done: had the bobbies accompany me to the
front desk to get some clarification on the spot.
You wouldn't have got very far. The police were there to do a job not to determine whether the hotel is adequately managed.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by uxb
I had a stay in New York where I left some belongings in the room for my girlfriend. When she arrived, everything was gone. Despite hanging a DnD sign, the folks are housekeeping were, in fact, the culprits. Obviously, it is not always the case, but...
I had a great one at a Hilton property. Having just arrived from another Hilton property, I had a Hilton Laundry Bag (from the previous property) filled with soiled laundry, that I was going to wash myself. I placed the bag out of my luggage, onto the floor next to my suit cases, to take to a laundromat later.

Upon returning that evening, the housekeeping staff had removed all said items of clothing, folded my shirts, underwear and paired up my socks, all of which were dirty.

I found this very damn disturbing as it was effectively invasion of my privacy. Who's to say I didn't have lacy womens knickers in there (whilst travelling alone; For the record, that kind of thing does not float my boat ) .

I got 1000 HHonors points as an apology. They never did justify why the heck housekeeping did it though (and I refuse to stay at that property every again after the generally poor attitude from all staff at the property).
Old Mar 29, 2012, 9:14 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by drewbles
I had a great one at a Hilton property. Having just arrived from another Hilton property, I had a Hilton Laundry Bag (from the previous property) filled with soiled laundry, that I was going to wash myself. I placed the bag out of my luggage, onto the floor next to my suit cases, to take to a laundromat later.

Upon returning that evening, the housekeeping staff had removed all said items of clothing, folded my shirts, underwear and paired up my socks, all of which were dirty.

I found this very damn disturbing as it was effectively invasion of my privacy. Who's to say I didn't have lacy womens knickers in there (whilst travelling alone; For the record, that kind of thing does not float my boat ) .

I got 1000 HHonors points as an apology. They never did justify why the heck housekeeping did it though (and I refuse to stay at that property every again after the generally poor attitude from all staff at the property).
Yikes. That is weird. I've only had two negative security experiences at Hilton properties (compared w/ zero elsewhere). In fact, both experiences were weeks apart, and involved the housekeeping staff. Both properties were rather unapolegetic, so I will not stay at either in the future.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 9:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
How much trafficking goes on at your hotel? (When did you stop beating your wife?)

True, libel is a different bird than slander, albeit of the same feather.

Reporting in good faith (and how do you prove it was not?) to police suspicions about criminal activity generally does not fall to that level, though it could also depend on whom else the allegations were passed on to and how.

I have worked with a number of different law enforcement agencies - I definitely do not check into a Hilton property to meet LEOs and invite them to my room.

If I were stimpy I might have inquired to see how many people they thought I had in the room and ask for the same number of BMG certs.

Originally Posted by Hhonor Gguard
Libel applies to the written word. That was my only objection.

I think this is an extremely interesting thread.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
If we're getting into legals, Scots law does not have libel, it has defamation. Traditionally spoken defamation required proof of special damage to be actionable as a delict.

But I'm getting OT.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:33 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan,Delta Skymiles, Avion
I seem to be on a roll with reposting this link but it does apply and think you could have soooo much fun with this.

http://www.hyperorg.com/misc/DoubleT...les/frame.html

Old Mar 30, 2012, 2:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by uxb
Yikes. That is weird. I've only had two negative security experiences at Hilton properties (compared w/ zero elsewhere). In fact, both experiences were weeks apart, and involved the housekeeping staff. Both properties were rather unapolegetic, so I will not stay at either in the future.
Of the hotels where I stay where I have been involved directly or indirectly with "negative security experiences", the plurality have been Hilton properties, Conrad hotels disproportionately more. Much of it has involved racist profiling.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stifle
Some of each. Don't know which Dundee is though.

This is unfortunately a typical story in the UK. I do think that stimpy deserves some form of compensation; a be our guest certificate or points equivalent would be about right.

Edit: I notice he got one.
Dundee was sold off, so I'd imagine it's a "franchise" in the loosest sense. I think all of the ex-Stakis properties are.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 3:20 am

I'd better be carefull staying here with my Thai wife.I dont fancy being dragged away in chains.

Still,she gets grief frequently.Staying in the Bangkok Shangri-La one time she arrived back at the hotel from a shopping trip an hour earlier than me,and neither hotel security or management would let her up to our room.Her passport had the official change from her maiden name to her married name following our marriage.Turned into a nice little earner
Old Mar 30, 2012, 7:06 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Of the hotels where I stay where I have been involved directly or indirectly with "negative security experiences", the plurality have been Hilton properties, Conrad hotels disproportionately more. Much of it has involved racist profiling.
I was referring to theft by housekeeping as opposed to racial profiling, but perhaps racial profiling is in the Blackstone handbook???
Old Mar 30, 2012, 7:29 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Stimpy,

In recounting your conversation with the deputy manager, you don't indicate if he was in any way apologetic about what happened, or did he just explain the facts, say that the police told him you weren't up to any wrong-doing, and say you were welcome back (that's big of him !).

Assuming the police advice didn't consist of "any foreign nationals visiting rooms with video cameras, we want to know", then it is abundantly clear that to pass your room number onto the police in relation to a police visit re people trafficking, was just plain wrong.

I commend you for your restraint on this thread, and in particular your ability to reconcile the situation so easily.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: AA, SPG, Hh, Amex MR, Marriott, ICH, VA, CC, LH
I would have been furious too. Definitely complain and try to find out what it was that made staff or other clients suspect what they did? Do you have any enemies who would do this? Presumably the police must know who made the report.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by golfmad
You wouldn't have got very far. The police were there to do a job not to determine whether the hotel is adequately managed.
I would have requested them to go with me to the front desk, just to make sure it was added "documentation". If the they were polite, I am sure they would have stopped at the front desk.

Also, do we know to whom they reported back to from the hotel staff ? If the hotel called them, thay must inform them of the outcome .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.