Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

A UK Hilton has police raid my room, says I was running a brothel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A UK Hilton has police raid my room, says I was running a brothel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2012, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Thats why I never stay where you can book a room by the hour.

67 stays a year on average, guess the "law of averages" for all those stays without a hitch caught up to you.

My money is on the cops went to the wrong room.

Shame on management for not not showing up.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 7:07 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by mahanaloa
Thats why I never stay where you can book a room by the hour.

67 stays a year on average, guess the "law of averages" for all those stays without a hitch caught up to you.

My money is on the cops went to the wrong room.

Shame on management for not not showing up.
I know which hotel you go to

It's called. " NO TELL MOTEL "
Old Mar 28, 2012, 1:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by danM

(I'm thinking about the trafficking angle here; I could care less about whether somebody is a prostitute or not)
The police and UKBA have problems appropriately identifying sex-trafficking and distinguishing it from non-trafficking -- and even the UK's CPS sometimes gets that wrong too -- such that the hotel employees and/or guests doing a poor job at making appropriate judgment calls would be akin to the clowns who suspect people to be "terrorists" and cry "wolf/wolves" even when the objects of their distaste are neither terrorists nor wolves. Can't rule out "werewolves" for those whose imagination runs wild and involves calling out for who knows what "saving".
Old Mar 28, 2012, 1:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JDiver
Actually, the UK has significantly stricter laws about this kind of thing that the US does, iirc.
I am not sure why someone would claim that the UK has significantly stricter laws than the US does about these kinds of things.

1. Government actors in the US far more routinely seize assets of unaware parties whose facilities are used in criminal activity than the UK does.

2. The US has federal, state and local laws that create the opportunity to prosecute on multiple levels, including on charges that are only tangential to the criminal activity that drove interest of law enforcement and/or prosecutors.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Still don't understand how the hotel could have come to conclusion that the OP was running a brother/prostitution ring/trafficking women?

Was there never ending flow of attractive young ladies with Eastern European or Asian accents?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
OK, thanks to pressure from Hilton Corporate, the deputy manager of the hotel called me today. His side of the story is this.

The local police have been asking all the hotels about any clues of suspect behavior which might lead them to believe that prostitution rings, or trafficking of women is going on. During a previous stay while I was out working, my wife had a couple of girlfriends visit. One was black, the other was from Hungary. So the hotel reported to the police that my wife was in the room alone with a black woman and a woman with a strong eastern European accent. And since I was always arriving late and leaving early to work, the hotel never even saw me there. That plus one of the maids reported seeing a video camera in our room. These "clues" were reported by the hotel to the police. Maybe they had some other thin observations, but I don't know. The police were then alerted that I had another reservation coming up and that's when they knocked on our door.

The deputy manager said that all his staff know he is reachable 24x7 by mobile phone and he couldn't explain why the duty manager refused to contact him after I asked to speak to someone. He said that the hotel had no problems with our behavior up until that point, but once the police were involved they could not discuss the matter with me until the police cleared it. He said that after my "interview", the police told him that we were not under any suspicion. The manager welcomes me back anytime and said to email him the next time I visit.

So I will downgrade my criticism to mild incompetence from the hotel management and perhaps a bit of overzealous behavior from the police in searching for trafficked women. I don't criticize the actual officers present, but rather whomever is issuing orders to them to search the local hotels with such loose criteria as black women and women from eastern Europe. A little bit of research on my part shows me that prostitution is legal in the UK, but controlling prostitutes is not. So apparently even if a woman on her own does some "business" in a hotel room, that isn't illegal. If that is the case, then it shouldn't be too hard to differentiate nor do a bit of investigation to discover a ring of trafficked women or "sex slaves" as the BBC loves to go on about, completely ignoring all the trafficked Asian kitchen staff in countless restaurants in the UK. But that's another story. As is the recent news about trafficked football youth coming in from Cameroon.

Let me be clear that at no time was I outraged or offended. Innocent people never should complain about a non-overly intrusive police questioning. But as a frequent traveler I hold the hotels and airlines I deal with to a professional level that I felt wasn't quite reached in this case. But it's not the end of the world. As these forums here are filled with what are, at the end of the day much worse hotel criticisms, I'll go ahead and tell you this thread is about a stay at the Hilton Dundee. I have no other problems with this hotel. Well except never a suite upgrade as Diamond.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 7:56 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
I'll go ahead and tell you this thread is about a stay at the Hilton Dundee. I have no other problems with this hotel. Well except never a suite upgrade as Diamond.
Now that you and the GM are on friendly terms, you might get lucky next time (or perhaps I shouldn't use that particular expression here?).

Glad you seem to feel the matter is somewhat resolved. ^
Old Mar 28, 2012, 7:58 am

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
I have no other problems with this hotel. Well except never a suite upgrade as Diamond.
Maybe if you email the GM you will get one next time All clouds and all that
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
OK, thanks to pressure from Hilton Corporate, the deputy manager of the hotel called me today.
that it took pressure from CORPORATE to get the hotel's management to call you. I'll bet that if the OP was a lowly no status customer, this wouldn't have happened.

Another that the actual MANAGER didn't call you to explain/apologize. Especially if the OP has had previous interaction with the MANAGER (as stated in the previous posts by the OP).

Let me be clear that at no time was I outraged or offended. Innocent people never should complain about a non-overly intrusive police questioning. But as a frequent traveler I hold the hotels and airlines I deal with to a professional level that I felt wasn't quite reached in this case.
Agreed. The police were just doing their jobs (slightly mis-directed, but that's another story).

A huge to the hotel's management for not handling the fallout from this situation properly.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:06 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
OK, thanks to pressure from Hilton Corporate, the deputy manager of the hotel called me today. His side of the story is this.

The local police have been asking all the hotels about any clues of suspect behavior which might lead them to believe that prostitution rings, or trafficking of women is going on. During a previous stay while I was out working, my wife had a couple of girlfriends visit. One was black, the other was from Hungary. So the hotel reported to the police that my wife was in the room alone with a black woman and a woman with a strong eastern European accent. And since I was always arriving late and leaving early to work, the hotel never even saw me there. That plus one of the maids reported seeing a video camera in our room. These "clues" were reported by the hotel to the police. Maybe they had some other thin observations, but I don't know. The police were then alerted that I had another reservation coming up and that's when they knocked on our door.
Thank you stimpy and I withdraw any aspersions I made previously.

I guess this is the UK's version of "see something..." but other than a nosy maid and apparently incompetent night staff, I'll give the hotel a pass and accuse the police of excessive zeal. Which again is par for the UK IME.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:15 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Racial profiling, poor hotel management and incompetent policing at their best.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:15 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
It seems as though a few of those hotel employees are perfect candidates for TSA.

And I am still dismayed that the GM would not be directly involved in this. He should have been in the room right after the police with apology and explanation at the ready.

It seems your family was a victim of profiling, imho. Much as I suspected.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Personally, I would press for two Be My Guest-certificates and would use them at the DoubleTree Times Square on New Years eve. This would be the best lesson for the GM and his staff.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:19 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Expect these types of raids to continue through the Olympics. Sex trafficking for mass-sporting events is a growing problem due to open borders w/ Eastern Europe. Did you get anything other than a pat on the back?

Last edited by uxb; Mar 28, 2012 at 8:26 am
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:22 am

The deputy manager said that all his staff know he is reachable 24x7 by mobile phone and he couldn't explain why the duty manager refused to contact him after I asked to speak to someone. He said that the hotel had no problems with our behavior up until that point, but once the police were involved they could not discuss the matter with me until the police cleared it. He said that after my "interview", the police told him that we were not under any suspicion. The manager welcomes me back anytime and said to email him the next time I visit.

So I will downgrade my criticism to mild incompetence from the hotel management and perhaps a bit of overzealous behavior from the police in searching for trafficked women. I don't criticize the actual officers present, but rather whomever is issuing orders to them to search the local hotels with such loose criteria as black women and women from eastern Europe. A little bit of research on my part shows me that prostitution is legal in the UK, but controlling prostitutes is not. So apparently even if a woman on her own does some "business" in a hotel room, that isn't illegal. If that is the case, then it shouldn't be too hard to differentiate nor do a bit of investigation to discover a ring of trafficked women or "sex slaves" as the BBC loves to go on about, completely ignoring all the trafficked Asian kitchen staff in countless restaurants in the UK. But that's another story. As is the recent news about trafficked football youth coming in from Cameroon.

Let me be clear that at no time was I outraged or offended. Innocent people never should complain about a non-overly intrusive police questioning. But as a frequent traveler I hold the hotels and airlines I deal with to a professional level that I felt wasn't quite reached in this case. But it's not the end of the world. As these forums here are filled with what are, at the end of the day much worse hotel criticisms, I'll go ahead and tell you this thread is about a stay at the Hilton Dundee. I have no other problems with this hotel. Well except never a suite upgrade as Diamond.
Well this hotel made poor judgement calls. Guests who stay at this hotel have little privacy on whom or what is in their room. That's what I get from this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.