Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

A UK Hilton has police raid my room, says I was running a brothel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A UK Hilton has police raid my room, says I was running a brothel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2012, 9:53 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
I think we are missing some details. There must be something that made the hotel think what they did. Now, I am not saying at all that they were justified in what they did especially if they just profiled you and the people visiting or staying with you based on looks or anything like that.

I just dont know how the hotel could make such a claim to be honest. Lets face it, we all have had neighbors that had people coming and going all day/night and noises etc and it never crossed my mind that there would been any human trafficing going on.

I do agree that the hotel should be prepared to talk to you about their accusations even if they give you a B.S. excuse.

If I truly felt like I did nothing to give them reason to make any accusation or the hotel used bad judgement in this case then there would be no end to how many places I would post what happened and my feelings about it. I just dont think we have enough details to say the hotel was wrong.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I find it hard to believe a hotel would send cops to a guest room without grounds for doing so. It all sounds very bizarre tbh.

If it was mistaken identity, fair enough, but the fact they asked for you by name would suggest otherwise. I'm not condoning the hotel's handling of the OP's complaint, but I think a little more back story is needed before we reach for the pitchforks. The devil is always in the detail.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'm holding off on details for now. Just be sure that IMHO, the hotel management may have "believed" they had some concern, but they show terribly unprofessional behavior by not doing the tiniest investigation before they called in a police raid. There was no reason at all for them to have not spoken to me. And this wasn't my first time at this hotel. They have previously emailed me thanking me for a nice review on the last visit, and sent me direct ads. So no excuse for not picking up the phone, nor knocking on the door, nor even emailing me if they had any concerns. They have my mobile number too as they have called me in the past.

Hilton said that their policy is to let the hotel comment first. So today a hotel deputy manager emailed me asking for my concerns. I replied that he must be very well aware of my concerns and I want an explanation followed by appropriate action. He has yet to reply. I wonder where the GM is?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by mcgahat
There must be something that made the hotel think what they did.
Some aspect of behavior which we have not be told. If one is simply sitting in the room watching TV, the police do not turn up wanting "a word".
Originally Posted by stimpy
I'm holding off on details for now.
Understood, particularly if they detract from portraying this episode as a wild, baseless accusation.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold (LT), Nat EL Exec, Hertz PC
I don't know the details of your situation, but you should stop using the word "Raid" because it simply wasn't. You state in your first post that agents came to your door and you invited them in. That is not a raid. A raid is when they bash through your door and take you down before you have time to move.

There are circumstances in play here that you're not revealing (yet) that could make the actions of the hotel completely appropriate. And frankly it may not have had anything to do with prostitution at all, as we use pretextual conversations all the time to gain intel or identify someone who's been flagged as suspicious.

I don't think any sympathy is appropriate until you disclose the details. Painting the picture with only one side of the story leaves too much white space on the canvas to make a judgement call.

It's also important to note that hotels cannot "call in a police raid" - these things (even outside the USA) require official sanction. What you experienced was called a "knock and talk" and nothing more.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:19 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Some aspect of behavior which we have not be told. If one is simply sitting in the room watching TV, the police do not turn up wanting "a word". Understood, particularly if they detract from portraying this episode as a wild, baseless accusation.
Come on Wally Bird, give the guy a break. I'm sure stimpy will give us the details when it's appropriate and does not conflict with the ongoing discussions he's having with the hotel.

Lighten up people. It's a discussion forum.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by gemac
Nevermind what hotel it was. What hotel is your next UK Hilton stay, and what dates?
LOL!
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:29 pm
Community Director Emerita

stimpy, I normally envy you for the superior treatment you receive at hotels where I have so-so stays. I'll pass on this one.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:37 pm

I wonder where the GM is?
Talking with their lawyers. ;p

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
I'm holding off on details for now. Just be sure that IMHO, the hotel management may have "believed" they had some concern, but they show terribly unprofessional behavior by not doing the tiniest investigation before they called in a police raid. There was no reason at all for them to have not spoken to me. And this wasn't my first time at this hotel. They have previously emailed me thanking me for a nice review on the last visit, and sent me direct ads. So no excuse for not picking up the phone, nor knocking on the door, nor even emailing me if they had any concerns. They have my mobile number too as they have called me in the past.

Hilton said that their policy is to let the hotel comment first. So today a hotel deputy manager emailed me asking for my concerns. I replied that he must be very well aware of my concerns and I want an explanation followed by appropriate action. He has yet to reply. I wonder where the GM is?
So what you are saying is that if I suspect that my neighbor is running a prostitution ring out of his house, then I should do my own investigation first before notifying the police. I can guarantee you that is exactly the opposite of what the police would recommend. Real pimps running illegal prostitution rings can be very, very ruthless people. Had you been a real pimp the person who called the police might have been in very grave danger.

Hotel's don't just call the cops for no reason at all since it's very bad for business. In fact, I've read threads in this very forum from people upset that the front desk refused to call the police.

I'll take you at your word that you aren't a pimp. But I'd think about how your behaviors might have differed from the average hotel guest. This may give you an idea why the police showed up at your door.

I think that you will catch more flies with honey than vinegar. You need to do your ranting here but make sure that you are above all this when you finally speak with the management. The best revenge is to be so kind and understanding that the management is embarrassed for calling the police.
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brkandjfk
I don't know the details of your situation, but you should stop using the word "Raid" because it simply wasn't. You state in your first post that agents came to your door and you invited them in. That is not a raid. A raid is when they bash through your door and take you down before you have time to move.
I think you watch Cops too much. And I didn't have a choice about letting the police in.

There are circumstances in play here that you're not revealing (yet) that could make the actions of the hotel completely appropriate. And frankly it may not have had anything to do with prostitution at all, as we use pretextual conversations all the time to gain intel or identify someone who's been flagged as suspicious.
Sorry but you are fishing for something that isn't there.

I don't think any sympathy is appropriate until you disclose the details. Painting the picture with only one side of the story leaves too much white space on the canvas to make a judgement call.
I didn't ask for sympathy and you can't honestly make judgement without facts.

It's also important to note that hotels cannot "call in a police raid" - these things (even outside the USA) require official sanction. What you experienced was called a "knock and talk" and nothing more.
Not true at all. You weren't there and you don't know the law. And I never said the hotel "called in a police raid". Again you are fishing. It's not very helpful frankly.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by It'sHip2B^2
So what you are saying is that if I suspect that my neighbor is running a prostitution ring out of his house, then I should do my own investigation first before notifying the police.
Nope, didn't say that at all.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I am sure there is more to this story and we may never know and the OP may not either. I'm betting on the Operations Manager knew the lady friend and was upset she was using her hotel for the liaison. But I may be wrong...

As long as we are speculating without the facts...

I do agree it is pure "CS" for management to be conveniently "gone" right after the event. Do push the matter with corporate and insist they get the property management to step up.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
stimpy, which accent(s) were native to the other persons in your room at the time of the "knock" or to those who otherwise had visited your room previously?

Perhaps that is how they work in the movies, but not all raids work like that.

Hotels can certainly call in asking for a police raid of activity the hotel considers unlawful.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA mm, Marriott PLT, Hilton Dia
Any chance the police went to the wrong room?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.