Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Parmelia Hilton Perth {AUS}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2003, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I stayed there for AUD 105 in July. They even charged me AUD 105 for a midweek stay that was booked online at AUD 165.
Old Aug 23, 2003, 7:33 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

From my experience only Sydney and Melbourne hotels have really learned how to overcharge guests in Australia.
And ever since before the Olympics in Sydney they spent a few years inventing all kinds of new taxes on guests/visitors.
Perth,Adelaide Brisbane and many other cities have always been more reasonable and less blood thirsty.
They still remain very fair to guests .
The way Sydney and Melbourne used to be.
Seems most of the greed came with the American big chains over time.
Some properties in Sydney raised rack rates over double since the very late 90s.

Would love to get back to Perth.
A beautiful city and some of the nicest people.

------------------
AA & Starwood,Marriott Platinum
Hyatt, Hilton Diamond
Swissotel Club Gold
U/A 1k
Old Feb 8, 2004, 9:02 am

Parmelia Hilton in Perth

I will be in Perth April 26th to May 3th.

Has anyone stayed at this hotel? What is it like? I am staying on points what should I expect to get? Do they have an Executive Lounge? Dose it have breakfast and nightly hors d’oeuvre and drinks?

Would you stay here?

Should I save the points and find a room somewhere else that will not be as costly as the Hilton?

Thanks in advance for your help

Old Feb 8, 2004, 9:14 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
You might want to read these:

Parmelia Hilton, Perth Australia?
Perth, Australia

I've not stayed there myself, but am considering them for a future trip.

(Edit to fix link)

[This message has been edited by MikeLaw (edited Feb 08, 2004).]
Old Feb 12, 2004, 10:41 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Not quite as good as the Adelaide Hilton, mainly because it doesn't have an Executive Lounge. Just on the corner of St George's Terrace (one of the main commercial streets in the CBD). I was upgraded there twice (out of three stays) in 2003 (as a humble Gold).

Be careful of where you are situated, there was building works going on last time I was there (July last year). Try for one facing the Swan River.

It's my hotel of choice in Perth as directly across the road from my clients on St George's Terrace (I used to stay at the Sheraton or Hyatt, but they are further down St George's Terrace away from the main CBD).

Depends on whether you are there for work or pleasure ...
Old Feb 13, 2004, 11:46 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I would rather use 26K *points at the Sheraton than 175K at the Hilton. However, if you have an old-school GLON, the total is 125K (fairly even + the last-chance factor .

------------------
Play the travel game 3 vacations into the future!
Old Apr 11, 2004, 12:58 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Thumbs down No breakfast at Perth Hilton

I'm currently staying at the Parmelia Hilton in Perth on a GLON and they don't even provide breakfast to gold members. (They did the "we've given you a room upgrade instead" line.) They have no executive floor, either.

When I think of the Hiltons which have executive floors and give free breakfast vouchers when the executive lounge is closed, and even drink vouchers for when the executive lounge is closed, the Perth one is just an amazing rip-off by comparison.

I know there are other old posts about this property that say the same thing, so it's not totally surprising, but it is a shame that this hotel still gets away with being so totally sub-standand.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 2:20 am

Auckland No Breaky

Auckland too gives either 1 breakfast or an upgrade-
and I am Diamond.
I called the Australian HHonors desk and they said yes that was right.

Where in the T and Cs does it say some do and some dont?
Old Apr 11, 2004, 2:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tinkybelle
Auckland too gives either 1 breakfast or an upgrade-
and I am Diamond.
I called the Australian HHonors desk and they said yes that was right.

Where in the T and Cs does it say some do and some dont?
Hilton International plc seems to have loosened up the T&Cs for hotels. I have been told that they can choose to offer a welcome amenity in lieu of breakfast or even executive lounge access.

So the more-common-than-rare non-perceivable upgrade will be given along with a small welcome amenity for long-term stays as time goes on. It looks like Hilton HHonors is cutting back on all fronts still. If the 30-60% HHonors devaluations, the sudden elimination of HHonors mutual funds, and the lack of and curtailment of point savers were not enough, now we have this breakfast issue and even lounge access issue -- even for Diamonds.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 9:19 am

Programs: Co Plat - Marriott Plat
Input On Hilton In Perth AU

I was looking at staying at the Perth Hilton becuase they have a real good rate at the time I'm going to be there. The pictures on the website look very dated and the hotel looks REAL old. Anyone ever stay there? Have any info to share?

Thanks.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 9:57 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
The Hilton Parmelia is okay but not stunning. Rooms are good (usually got upgraded as a HH gold and complimentary bottle of wine). There's no lounge. When upgraded, if I didnt book a rate that included breakfast then it would not be offered for free, if not upgraded it would.

Location is good, in the business district but only a couple of blocks from centre of town or Swan River.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:45 am
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
Stayed here recently, end of May. We are Diamond. Upon check-in, didn’t ask for anything special, knowing the difficulties people here have had. But was very pleasantly told we were upgraded to a King room (booked Queen, hoping for this). I thanked them. Later, they sent a A$65 bottle of sparkling wine (instead of the usual wine) up to the room. Quite satisfied, all in all (as noted elsewhere, no Exec Lounge here).

They do not supply breakfast when upgraded, a policy we understood. But if you exit the hotel, turn right and cross St. George’s Terrace, there is an Irish Café which we really enjoyed – very short walk.

Things were good until check-out. Noticed no bill under the door. Called down, asking what happened to Zip check-out. Was told “we only do that for Friday night stays, and upon request at checkin.” This is the FIRST time I can remember not having the Zip checkout be automatic – easy checkin and checkout is a benefit that I value very highly.

They also charged us $3 more/day for the valet parking than we expected, but made the change when I showed them a copy of the Confirmation of the booking.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 2:47 pm

Stayed there in April 2004 for four nights. As a Diamond on honeymoon, got upgraded to a suite. No complaints, except our room didn't have much of a view.

Lovely city, too!
Old Jun 11, 2005, 6:34 am
cjd

Stayed at the Parmelia Hilton, Perth two weeks ago for 6 days at the end of May and hit lucky with the autumn weather - sunny and warm every day with cool evenings when the sun went down. Although the hotel is quite old, we were pleasantly surprised and thought it was in a good location, just about 10 mins walk from the city centre and also Swan River harbour and restaurants area. As Diamond we were given an upgrade to a huge room(929) with a balcony and partial view of the Swan River. In the US, this would probably be classed as a Junior Suite and is similar in size to those types of room we have been given there. The view of the river was partially blocked by a new office building, which had been built extremely close to the Hilton and would have completely blocked the views of many of the rooms on all floors between our room and the lifts. The room had not been modernised recently and was furnished with old traditional furniture and had a large bathroom with double basins, seperate bath and walk-in shower. No complaints - it was very clean and all in good condition. I was led to believe that some of the floors have been modernised and upgraded. There was no Executive Floor and as I had read here that they didn't give breakfast vouchers, only upgrades, we booked a Bounceback rate including breakfast which wasn't much more than the room-only rate. As well as the upgrade, we were given a bottle of red wine and a large bowl of fruit on arrival and 2 bottles of water each day. Ate one night in the hotel at the Adelphi Steak House restaurant and thought the meal was good value.

Overall, we found the hotel very clean, like most of Perth city, staff and concierge were very pleasant, helpful and friendly and would definitely go back. Would also recommend the open-top bus tour which costs A$25 for a 2-day ticket. It's a hop on/hop off tour with commentary which tours the city and surrounding area and is extremely good value. It departs from the Swan River harbour area, although you can get on at any of the stops.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 7:33 am

Horrible hotel

Stayed in Perth about 8 weeks ago, spent most of the time at the Hyatt (awesome hotel) as compared to the Hilton. Tho the hilton is in a better location.

I found the staff, service, all round quality of the property below par. Everything about them was either about cutting corners or trying to squeeze as much as they could out of you.

So i arrive early (noted in my res), I had a larger $7k+ booked hilton event booked at the hilton starting that day - I came suited and wanted to leave my bags in the room, I called the night before and also when I made my reservation and res notes. They said - we have no room for you. I said i'm happy anywhere. they said no. Come back at 10am. So I did.... still no room, they said they'd meet me at the function room 30 mins later with keys... no such thing... come 2pm, still no checkin, so about 4pm, they let me checkin - after having to go back to the desk and wait for 45 minutes... are they serious??? seems they are!

HH Gold - no upgrade, no b/fast voucher, nothing except some fruit (1 apple, some grapes and an old rotting bannana). That was my amenity. I asked for b/fast, they declined. I have never encountered a hilton in australia so adherent to policy. Hilton Bris, Melbourne, ex Sydney properties and Melb Airport are all flexible, friendly and always get a nice warm hearty breafkast plus an upgrade AND an amenity such as Brisbane (always a bottle of champagne, belgium choclates, 2 bottles of water and fruits), Melbourne Airport (fruit and cheese platter with bottle of wine), Melbourne (bottle of wine, water and a hand made dessert of choclates).... . Don't expect much at all from the Perth Hilton (but maybe we're too spoiled at the other hilton properties in Australia as HH Golds). Even though Melb Airport doesn't have an exec lounge - they know how to make up for it - jnr suites with sweeping views of the runway, the cheese, fruit platters and wine and the amazing breakfast in airo.

Meanwhile back at the Hilton Perth - The room card was not coded up for the gym, had to go back and ask. Then the card locked me out of the room when i came back from the gym. The phone service was expensive compared to the hyatt (i believe they charge in increments for the first 15 mins, then it's untimed, that's a first for me getting charged by the increments in an aussie hotel. And a late checkout? keep wishing. OK - we'll give you 30 mins extra. I've never encountered this - all other hiltons in Australia are more than happy if you need to check out at 4pm i've found.

walls are paper thin. tv is old, bathroom needs updating. beds and comfort in bed have a lot to be desired. Really big drop after the quality of the hyatt in perth.

Oh and that event.... they said I wouldn't receive any of the $7-8k in venue hire... because I had to have booked at least 10 room nights. Go figure hilton perth.

for the price (granted I paid for my nights accom there A$270/night), I expected a whole lot more for my queen standard room. Ah well... i'll never be staying here again. It's back to the regency club rooms at the hyatt with great service, great lounge, great pool, and value for money. Occasionally they do have good rates on friday nights. But jeez, I would still not stay there even if I had to rack up a stay, i'd just ruffle the sheets and leave!

Last edited by kawoh; Jun 11, 2005 at 7:45 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.