Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Oceanfront Resort Hilton Head Island {US-SC} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Oceanfront Resort Hilton Head Island {US-SC} (no longer Honors)

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2003, 11:04 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by guiming_miao:
Diamond Desk said they sent a special request to the general manager of the resort to see if they can accommodate me, but usually takes 5-7 days to get back to me. Then I asked her when I should claim the cert, she said you wait until after 6/1. It will still be 100,000 pts since you requested the room before 6/1.

So, my questions to you, and look for your advices:
1. Is it true that the cert is still 100,000 pts after 6/1 since I requested the room today? I kind of doubted it. Even it is true, but if they came back with nothing after 6/1, then I don't have time to book other hotels. The second one on our wish list is the Embassy Suites in Niagra Falls that is going to open on 7/26, but I believe it has to be redeemed by GLON, a different category. So, a dilema here whether to wait or not. Your suggestions?
2. Usually how long does it take for hotel to get back on the confirmation of the room, I heard somebody just tood one day, is it normally that long 5-7 days?
</font>
That Diamond Desk agent was talking about an unpublished perk of being a Diamond - when there is no award availability, they would make a special arrangement with the hotel and pay the hotel their going rate, and deduct the appropriate amount of points from your account.

If that agent properly noted your account (and this is a big if), then it won't cost you more than 100K points, since you've made your request prior to June 1. But it would still be a risk if you decide to go to another place afterwards, as this arrangement would lock you into that specific property.

Since there are only very few people (two, I believe) at the Diamond Desk that are responsible for making these special arrangements, the wait time is usually a couple days, but with the onslaught of similar requests from others like you trying to beat the June 1 deadline, I'm sure that their hands are full and it would take a bit longer.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 11:36 am

Reviewed Needed on Hilton Oceanfront Resort Hilton Head Island

I have a reward stay in that location between August 17-23. If you have stayed there before, could you please tell me the experience of your trip?

1) Room Upgrade opportunity for Diamond Memeber;
2) Kids activities, I have a 4.5 year-old daughter;
3) Any golf school around that property?
4) Other activity suggestion, please.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Guiming
Old Jul 1, 2003, 11:47 am

I too stayed on reward there. All rooms are "alike" - that is only the end rooms are "suites" with more than one room and are usually booked. The upgrade I got was oceanfront. Rooms are a good size with an eating area, sink, refrig and small balcony.
Lots of golf and tennis - concierge was awesome at setting stuff up. They have kids camp on sort of a event by event basis - crafts and games - but tandem bikes for rent (you can ride on all the great paths or the beach) and the beach is beautiful and right out the door.

The pool is smallish (there is seperate adults only pool) but the kids didn't seem to mind.

In downtown you can take a few cruises - sunset, dolfin etc - all that info will be at lobby.

Hilton Head is beautiful and we found (being from NY) that the prices for dining were very reasonable.

THere is a seafood place that has a pirate magician (I can't recall the name) that my kids just loved. Good food - very family friendly place.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 7:10 pm

Hilton Oceanfront Resort Hilton Head Island Trip Reports and Reviews

We recently returned from a 6 night award stay at the Hilton Oceanfront Hilton Head, S.C. Warning - the hotel is under new management. The problem is the old management left before the new management arrived. When we needed help, no one knew the name of the person in charge.

In addition to new management the hotel is scheduled for major renovations this fall. We would not recommend this hotel at this time. The hallways and elevators are unairconditioned, dark and worn looking. If you have a repair problem with your room, most likely no one will be able to fix it.

During our stay we had problems with the air conditioning and room safe. The safe was never fixed. We were told that the entire air conditioning system in the complex was not working for one entire day of our stay, but the unit in our room did not work properly for several days.

We were upgraded to a junior suite when were were moved to a different room toward the end of our stay. The hotel had been sold out when we arrived.

The rooms are spacious and have been renovated except for the bathrooms. Each room has a micro and refig. The best rooms are the oceanfront suites on the 4th and 5th floors.

As gold members we were given breakfast coupons on arrival. They were good for the continental breakfast or anything on the menu up to $9.00. My son, the non-breakfast eater, enjoyed the South of the Border entree and I liked the white egg omlet w/asparagus, tomatoes and skim mozzerella. All of us enjoyed the breakfast each day.

The beach in front of the hotel is clean, uncrowded and very relaxing.

We all enjoyed biking around the hotel area. The bike paths are well paved and shaded by trees. We also enjoyed riding on the hard packed sand on the beach. The bikes we rented from Hilton Head Bicycle Company 800-995-4319. They are very pleasant to order from, reasonably priced and they deliver the bikes to the hotel.

Don the hotel concierge is the best. He gave us wonderful directions and suggestions on activities and restaurants. He is a pleasure to speak with and is very knowledgeable about the island.

There is an idine restaurant that we enjoyed, Aunt Chiladas. Go for happy hour. They have king crab legs for $8.00 a pound, a dozen shrimp for $3.00 and tacos for $1.00. They give you back .50 for each beer you buy.
It is a fun place and the food was good.

We also recommend Captain Woody's for fish sandwiches. They have grilled mahi mahi, grilled salmon and their signature sandwich is the grouper melt. All the sandwiches were delicious and came with your choice of a side dish for under $9.00.

There is a Walmart and Publix market within 15 minutes from the hotel. We bought beach chairs and umbrellas at Walmart and food for snacks and lunch at Publix. There is also a dollar store, liquor store and Atlantic Bread Company in the the same shopping center. We enjoyed the sourdough bread from Atlantic Bread for only $2.00 per loaf.

I have many coupons for the Hilton Head area. If any one is heading there soon e-mail me.

[This message has been edited by yesletsski (edited 08-05-2003).]
Old Aug 6, 2003, 6:57 am
Original Member

Programs: SW A List Preferred, Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Thanks for the report. We're headed there August 8th for what will be our second visit to this property.

Couple of questions. Were breakfast coupons provided for everyone in your party? Did you ask for an upgrade at check-in and were denied because of the occupancy level? What's the difference between the jr. suite and the regular rooms?

I'd like to take you up on the coupons, but given that we're headed out in a couple of days, it probably isn't feasible. Thanks for the offer anyway.

[This message has been edited by harold (edited 08-06-2003).]
Old Aug 6, 2003, 8:17 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Thanks for the info. We are heading there for Thanksgiving - 8 of us: us and the 4 kids + my inlaws. So I am also interested in the breakfast coupon question.

Also, you said something about renovations. How far into them are they? How extensive? Your room was new, so I expect they are moving along.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 8:25 am

Programs: Ozark Airlines--Lifetime Platinum, Braniff---Diamond, Eastern--Plutonium Motel 6--Guest of the Month
harold, I am sure they will make sure you get a nice murphy bed room for the four of you.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 8:34 am

This award stay I booked with the assistance of LaDonna. She is an award planner for Randy. Three days before my arrival I called the hotel directly to confirm my reservation. I had a confirmed reservation with 2 queen beds. I was told that there would be no 2 queen bed rooms available for my arrival and that the hotel was completely sold out. LaDonna called the hotel and was told the same information. Upon arrival they did find me a room with 2 queen beds on the 4th floor with an oceanview. I did not ask for an upgrade because I was happy to have the type of accomodations that I requested and the view is an upgrade. Some rooms have a view of the parking lot.

The junior suite was the same size room plus it has a separate bedroom with a king size bed and 2 balconies instead of just one. The bathroom was much larger. The oceanfront suites are the same size as the junior suite, but they have one very large balcony over looking the ocean.

All four of us are gold members thanks to flyertalk and yes we were all given breakfast coupons without even asking. LaDonna did call to confirm the coupons before our arrival.

There are many coupons and coupon books right in the lobby of the hotel.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 9:25 am

The hallways and the doors of the rooms on the first floor were being painted during our stay. Don had a copy of the article about the revonations on his desk. If you want more info about the renovation I suggest you give give him a call.
Old Nov 14, 2003, 3:49 pm

I will be staying there for Thanksgiving as part of a family holiday - two rooms, oceanview.

Anyone with recents stays can give an update regarding renovations? Diamond treatment? Good golf courses around?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 15, 2003, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've stayed at this hotel twice as a Diamond, both during our Spring Break once during the Heritage Golf Tournament and once the week after. Both times the hotel was completely sold out, but the Diamond desk was able to get us in without a problem. The rooms as described earlier are very large, but I think they only have three types of rooms. A king with a foldout couch, 2 queens and the suites with a separate living room. Even as a Diamond, we were only able to get the regular room. Each room also has a small kitchenette with a table for 4, refrig and microwave.
I received breakfast coupons for all 4 of us for each morning during our stay. The staff was very relaxed about their value and encouraged us to take things to go. Yogurt, muffins etc.

We too have used Wal-Mart to purchase our beach chairs, and have rented bikes at the rental place when you enter the plantation. Much cheaper for the week than renting from the hotel.

I second the value of Don, the concierge. He was very helpful with restaurant recommendations, especially Mi Tierra, a fun casual mexican restaurant that we enjoyed with a large group. Great food and very reasonable prices. Don also helped me out with Golf. I played at the Arthur Hills course at Palmetto Dunes, the plantation the hotel is in and also at the Cupp course at Palmetto Hall about 10 mins away. I liked the Palmetto Hall courses better.

We plan on returning this year, but the points have gone up from 100,000 to 175,000 under the new program.

Email me if you have any further questions.
Old May 26, 2004, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA/plat spg/gold
Hilton Head Resort ... not worth a teen award

Ok so I took my wife to Hilton head on a teen award the the Hilton Oceanfront resort. Other than the extra large rooms I was displeased with the hotel.

the place needs some serious renovation. Too many issues to mention in a short message but in general the place is just a pit, certainly not a level 6 resort. If I wasn't stuck here on a teen award I would have left for the Marriot down the road after the first night. My advice is to find someplace else to spend your HHonors rewards.

chuck richards
Old May 27, 2004, 6:54 am

Review very accurate. Hotel is in great location but very dated. Rooms are relatively cheap though, so I would waste good poits on a stay there.
Old May 27, 2004, 10:13 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
The Westin further north on the island is also a good choice, as nice or nicer than the Marriott.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 11:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic
Does anyone have recent reviews/recommendations for Hilton Head Oceanfront Resort?

Hi, Everyone,

We are thinking of going to the Hilton Head Oceanfront Resort in July for the first time. We've never been there and heard the hotel is currently undergoing renovations. Does anyone know if/when the renovations will be done? Any recommendations regarding the restaurants and golf courses there? We hope to play 2 - 3 times? Is there a spa there or nearby that is good? Any executive lounge for HH Gold members? Your advice would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,
Aussiemate

Last edited by aussiemate; Jun 7, 2004 at 11:21 am Reason: email notification

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.