Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Oceanfront Resort Hilton Head Island {US-SC} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Oceanfront Resort Hilton Head Island {US-SC} (no longer Honors)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2002, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Member
I'm there every year for a conference, and find it nice. It's an older resort that Hilton took over a few years back. Pretty much concrete-like as the other poster described. The rooms are all nice-sized - they seem to all have kitchenettes and a small dining area. Try to get a room on the higher floors - should cut down on whatever noise there is.

Location - it's in the Palmetto Dunes Plantation, which is about midway down the island. You basically drive in, and turn right at the Marriott (formerly a Hyatt), go through a guardhouse and over to the property (you'll get parking passes for the length of your stay at the front desk). The entrance to palmetto dunes is right across from Shelter Cove, and its shops and restaurants. Sea Pines is a bit of a way down the road.

I seem to remember getting a nice letter from the Manager as a Gold, and maybe some water, but that's it. There's no Executive/Club Level or Lounge of that ilk. As my breakfast was part of the conference, I can't say if as a Gold you'd get a Continental Breakfast at all - probably need to deal with it at check in. I've stayed there on paid stays only, so someone else will have to tell you what an award stay receives - my experience with Hilton Award stays is that you still get breakfast, etc.

Yes, the Westin is probably a better property - but you'll like the Hilton, especially on an award stay.
Old Mar 27, 2002, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CLTFlyer- thanks for your update. My family is staying there next month. Wife still scared to fly, so we looked for somewhere within a reasonable driving distance. 14hours (may or may not be reasonable) Not too much info on this resort, so your info is appreciated. Our goal is beach and relax with some decent dining. I'll post a report on our return.
Old Mar 27, 2002, 8:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
CLTFlyer - thanks for your report, that info definately helps.

Dugernaut - Hope you enjoy your stay and am looking forward to your report. My wife is also nervous about flying, and since I had the points figured Hilton Head was as good a place as any(golf,beach,restaurants)this year.
Old Apr 24, 2002, 3:11 pm

Staying here in July on a paid stay--anyone have recent experience on Gold treatment, or resort in general?

Thanks
Old Apr 25, 2002, 7:13 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Threy:
....rates drop down to USD 59-69 in offseason.....</font>
When is the offseason for Hilton Head?
Old Apr 25, 2002, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Do Hilton "Resorts" have to give the Diamond benefits, i.e. upgrades? for some reason I thought (could be way off base here) resorts were exempt from most diamond benefits...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rachel:
I am wondering if anyone has had success with getting an upgrade at this hotel. I am traveling with a small child and would like to have a bedroom with a door since he goes to sleep at 7:30!

While the web site states that there is a speprate sitting area when I called I was informed that it is not closed off. The hotel also told me that they do not upgrade diamonds--I hope that this was just an error. Any insight would be helpful
(westin is sold out so that is not an option).
</font>
Old Apr 26, 2002, 9:35 am

Programs: NW Gold/SPG Plat/Hilton Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Sweet Willie:
When is the offseason for Hilton Head?</font>
This would be December-April typically. May can be slow too, but the weather could also be great and allow swimming in the ocean.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 10:47 am

From having been there the past weekend - it appears that all of the rooms are "suites" (a kitchenette and a sitting area - but no dividers between 'em). Only the rooms at the beach end of the North and South buildings appear to have larger (possibly two room) suites. So I doubt there's much to upgrade to other than the end of building suites - as there's no exec floor, etc.

As a Gold, I did receive Continental Breakfast coupons for the the Palmetto Cafe or Grill or whatever it is. They do seem to at least know that part of status.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 1:31 pm

Thanks CLTflyer-- glad to get a recent report. I knew there was no exec floor, hoping to perhaps get an upgrade from my 'wooded' view to a glimpse of the ocean.

Were the breakfast certs easy to get, or did they make you 'grovel'

How did you find the resort overall??

Thanks

Old Apr 29, 2002, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We just returned from a TEEN award stay, and I was really impressed with this hotel. As Clt-flyer and others have mentioned, the rooms are oversized with kitchenettes. As a Diamond, my breakfast coupons were provided at check-in. With my wife and two kids, this was a great benefit. I would head down to the Café in the morning, tell them I wanted to get it go, and was given two large to-go containers. One for the hot foods and another for fruits and muffins. The hotel has two pools, a family one and another for adults only. The beach was wonderful. The concierge “Don” was very helpful with dinner suggestions, golf recommendations and options for other activities. We rented bikes, but off property, as the hotels prices were rather steep. We enjoyed our stay so much that we wanted to extend for an additional night. I called the Diamond desk and they said the easiest way would be to talk to the front desk. The front desk said they were sold out for Friday night and no awards were available. Another call to the Diamond Desk with our initial confirmation number, and bingo another night granted.

This was our first trip to Hilton Head, and I would definitely return to the Hilton.
Old Apr 30, 2002, 5:51 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by luv2go:
Thanks CLTflyer-- glad to get a recent report. I knew there was no exec floor, hoping to perhaps get an upgrade from my 'wooded' view to a glimpse of the ocean.

Were the breakfast certs easy to get, or did they make you 'grovel'

How did you find the resort overall??

Thanks

</font>
They didn't even make me ask for the breakfast certs - they already had them printed up, and handed them to me, letting me know that it was a benefit accorded to me as an HHonors Gold.

As for views, I was on the courtyard side of the North building - meaning I had a glimpse of the ocean, as opposed to the parking lots on either side. I think your best chances for the view are on the courtyard sides - although I could be wrong.

The resort is fine - not stunning like the Westin one apparently is - but the service is good - they're right on the ocean, and there's plenty of golf nearby in the rest of the Palmetto Dunes Plantation. While I've liked the Marriott condos down near Forest Beach more - I like the Hilton resort when it's just me, and not me and the family and a bunch of friends. The Hilton property was built in 1983, and it looks like they've done an interior renovation in the last 3-4 years. Hopefully, you'll have a great time.

Old May 21, 2002, 3:16 pm

Oceanfront Resort Hilton Head Island - Comments???

I have searched the board, but have not found any reviews of this property. Any comments, tips, etc.? I am considering staying there in early September using a TEEN award. Is it a good use of 100K points? What is the whether like that time of year? Is there enough in the area to keep me, my wife, and my 2 year old daughter busy?

MTP
Old May 21, 2002, 3:29 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/002833.html

I did one last check, and found this thread. It has good info and it is current.

Old May 22, 2002, 11:31 am

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Programs: Hyatt, United, Starwood, USAir, Marriott, Lufthansa, Hilton
Help on Hilton Head

HI! My in-laws are going for a couple weeks to the Hilton in Hilton Head, SC. I have never been to Hilton Head, so I know nothing about it. My question is they have O status with Hilton, but my husband and I both do. Is there anything we can request? I believe they do NOT have a club floor, but is there a room to ask for or anything? Any help is wonderful!

------------------
Boulder, Colorado ~ United Premier Exec, USAirways Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, American Executive Platinum, Delta Gold Medallion, Continental Gold
Old May 22, 2002, 9:35 pm

Location: Towson, MD USA - SPG plat, HH Diamond, AA Plat, Hertz Gold, MR Silver
I have stayed in that hotel a couple of times in the last year. The rooms are nice and BIG. Try to request a pool or ocean view room. There are quite a few that just face the parking lot. The restaurants are nice and the breakfast buffet is pretty good. Overall, I would recommend this hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.