Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Current Points Purchase Promotion" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2022, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: _kurt
Hilton Points Purchase Promotions
FAQ

How often does Hilton offer promotions on purchased points?

What is the typical / best offer?

Hilton frequently offers a 100% bonus on points purchases. There may be a minimum purchase required to receive the bonus.

How many points can I purchase in a calendar year?
The normal restriction in Hilton T&C limits each member to purchasing 80,000 points per year. Typically the bonus points are awarded after the restriction is enforced, meaning with a 100% bonus promotion you can purchase 80,000 points and receive another 80,000 as a bonus for a total of 160,000. Sometimes for promotions later in the year, Hilton will temporarily raise the limit on purchased points to 160,000 per year. Meaning, if you had purchased 80,000 in a previous promotion you could now purchase 80,000 more. Or, if it was the first points purchase of the year on your account you could purchase 160,000 and receive a bonus of 160,000.

What are the rules on purchasing points from a new / recently created Hilton account?

Posted by jbeckett in a now-locked thread:
From the Hilton Honors terms and conditions: https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-honors/terms/

A new Hilton Honors Member may purchase Points 30 days after enrollment if the account reflects activity including a stay (as defined herein) or earning Hilton Honors Points through a Hilton Hilton Honors Marketing Partner. After 90 days of enrollment, a new Member is eligible to purchase Points regardless of their account activity.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Current Points Purchase Promotion" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2021, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by DamoTime
Worthless at low end hotels. I took advantage of this promo 2x to book stays at Waldorf Astoria Pedgregal and WA Beverly Hills. Got outsized value at both. Cash rate at Pedregal $1,200/night and $850/night at WA Beverly Hills. Even sweeter was the suite upgrade in Cabo.

If you use the promo correctly at select locations it is well worth it compared to cash...otherwise it is an ... deal.
Would you rather spend $20.58 or spend 5,000 Hilton points?

Would you rather spend $48.44 or spend 14,000 Hilton points?
Old Apr 15, 2021, 8:54 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Doesn't apply to my situation. 95000 points per night. I got much better deal buying points compared to cash price.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 8:39 am
HVH

I was looking at higher end hotels and found the same thing, just picked a lower end hotel to see if it was the same. For instance at the Conrad in DC they want 328,000 for $869. Maybe it is the location I have tried different dates and the results are the same. I did look at the WA Beverly Hills and they had a room listed $825 for 95,000 points. I guess it goes back to the old saying location, location, location. If you are going to the right place then it can work out.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 8:41 am
HVH

Originally Posted by lsquare
Would you rather spend $20.58 or spend 5,000 Hilton points?

Would you rather spend $48.44 or spend 14,000 Hilton points?
IF I have earned those points then yes, if I am buying those points then no.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 2:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Platinum
I found a resort next month that with the resort fees came up to $500/night or $2,500 for 5 nights

It was 72,000 points per night , or 288,000 with 5th night free

I bought 70,000 + bonus 70,000 = 140,000 for $700.

I redeemed my previously existing 148,000 points + 140,000 new purchased points for a net out of pocket of $700 + 148K in points.

I think that promo stacked with 5th night free was a stellar deal for $700.

Perhaps those not seeing the value here aren’t looking at the same class of hotels.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by HVH
IF I have earned those points then yes, if I am buying those points then no.
Care to explain?
Old Jan 13, 2022, 2:46 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

Free Points are back for a limited time!

Buy up to 80K Points, and we'll match up to 80K points through February 9. That's worth up to 3 free nights at 5,400+ properties worldwide.

https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-honors/

Worth noting:

Originally Posted by jbeckett
From the Hilton Honors terms and conditions: https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-honors/terms/

A new Hilton Honors Member may purchase Points 30 days after enrollment if the account reflects activity including a stay (as defined herein) or earning Hilton Honors Points through a Hilton Hilton Honors Marketing Partner. After 90 days of enrollment, a new Member is eligible to purchase Points regardless of their account activity.
_kurt likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I have a grandfathered family account (both my wife and I have the same HH number).

Last year I was offered to buy 160k miles. This time only 80K. Any idea what governs 80 vs 160?

(Like the others posting above, I find the value in a 5 night stay at a 95k point/night place) - $1900 all in at the promotion rate.).
Old Jan 31, 2022, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
I have a grandfathered family account (both my wife and I have the same HH number).

Last year I was offered to buy 160k miles. This time only 80K. Any idea what governs 80 vs 160?

(Like the others posting above, I find the value in a 5 night stay at a 95k point/night place) - $1900 all in at the promotion rate.).
80,000 is the standard limit per HH T&C. For some promotions Hilton raises the limit. Are you sure the difference last year was due to having a family account or could it have been due to the specific promotion? Someone in another thread posited that Hilton only raises the limit for promotions later in the year so that they can entice those who have already purchased points to make another purchase.

I started a wiki for this thread. Please feel free to edit and improve it.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by _kurt
80,000 is the standard limit per HH T&C. For some promotions Hilton raises the limit. Are you sure the difference last year was due to having a family account or could it have been due to the specific promotion? Someone in another thread posited that Hilton only raises the limit for promotions later in the year so that they can entice those who have already purchased points to make another purchase.

I started a wiki for this thread. Please feel free to edit and improve it.
Good point. Less of an issue now that I saw how the Conrad Midtown carved a few suites into small rooms which are now their standard awards (had been my go to hotel in nyc).
Old Jan 26, 2023, 9:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

This old thread had an old post with my current problem.

I am not able to buy points from the website, I keep getting error with my credit card. Tried with different browsers, different credit cards, but no luck.
Yesterday, the phone rep at Hilton said the points-buying page is down. Can anyone confirm or refute this? If it worked yesterday or today, any hints on what I should do differently? Thanks.

The points-buying page asks for the phone number associated with the credit card. I don't recall seeing that before. Is it actually used for any verification?
Old Jan 26, 2023, 10:44 am

@serpens:
- I just tried a couple of minutes ago and the page works as smooth as it has ever had for me - I use Safari 16.3 on macOS 13.2
- I recall the phone number field, I have always entered it in the international formal (+ country code / area code / phone number, with spaces) but I do not think it is used for anything, in any case credit cards issued in Europe do not have a phone number associated with it
- as far as actual processing is concerned, unfortunately I cannot say, I am not interested in buying points right now so therefore did not go through the next step(s)
Old Jan 26, 2023, 12:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Platinum
Last year I bought 80,000 points + 80,000 100% bonus bonus back in February. (maxed out)

Late last year, I received the email to buy another 80,000 + 80,000. I regrettably skipped buying them, but can confirm I had the offer to buy a total of 160K or 320K with bonus for the calendar year.

I think this was the same in 2021 as well.

Despite what their site says, I'd venture to guess this happens again this year.

I can't get points buying landing page to work on my Mac in Safari, I have to use Chrome. No idea why.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 1:51 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MichaelA380
- I just tried a couple of minutes ago and the page works as smooth as it has ever had for me - I use Safari 16.3 on macOS 13.2
[...] I am not interested in buying points right now so therefore did not go through the next step(s)
Thanks for the report. Everything worked smoothly for me until after I clicked to buy. I should have been more clear in my query that the problem only appeared after I finished doing everything on my end. I had the problem with Firefox 109.0 and Safari 16.2 on macOS 11.7.2, with at least two cards on each browser.
Originally Posted by StangGT909
[...]
I can't get points buying landing page to work on my Mac in Safari, I have to use Chrome. No idea why.
That's interesting. A couple of revisions of Firefox ago, I started having trouble with two sites and I needed to switch to Safari, where both sites worked. Those are the only two browsers I have.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 5:28 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Couldn't find a better thread to post, hope it fits OK.

I am looking at an award stay and I am missing ~600 points. Is there a trick to get them for free somehow, or should I just go ahead and buy the 1000 points for $10?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.