Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

New account. How long until I can buy points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2021, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Delta Tupperware Medallion, National EE

Trying to help my daughter get into a property on points. She started her own account yesterday and tried to buy points. She got a message saying points purchase was not available. I tried to gift her some points, but since I've already purchase some this year, I can't gift her enough.

Is there a waiting period on new accounts before a purchase is allowed? Does she have to have a stay or two before it's allowed?
Old Jan 29, 2021, 1:46 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
From the Hilton Honors terms and conditions: https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-honors/terms/

A new Hilton Honors Member may purchase Points 30 days after enrollment if the account reflects activity including a stay (as defined herein) or earning Hilton Honors Points through a Hilton Hilton Honors Marketing Partner. After 90 days of enrollment, a new Member is eligible to purchase Points regardless of their account activity.
eric_o and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 3:14 am

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton Gold, Spirit Gold
She can earn some quick points with guest opinion (10k bonus) or dining rewards, if based in USA.
eric_o likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
[Removed now-deleted content and response]

By all means it could make sense to buy points to make an award booking. But those opportunities are becoming rarer and rarer. And a status-less new member wouldn't get the fifth night free.

But are you trying to "gift" points by buying new ones? Or just move some of your points to her account? (which is free, although also with restrictions IIRC)

Last edited by cblaisd; Jan 30, 2021 at 10:08 am
Old Feb 1, 2021, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Delta Tupperware Medallion, National EE
Originally Posted by craigthemif
[Removed now-deleted content and response]

By all means it could make sense to buy points to make an award booking. But those opportunities are becoming rarer and rarer. And a status-less new member wouldn't get the fifth night free.

But are you trying to "gift" points by buying new ones? Or just move some of your points to her account? (which is free, although also with restrictions IIRC)
I tried to gift her points, but since I've already bought points myself, the system wouldn't let me. I didn't want to move my points to her account for a number of reasons. I told her about the info that jbeckett provided. I am leaving it in her hands now. Thank you all for the help!
Old Jan 13, 2022, 2:22 pm

Bumping this thread as Hilton has yet another Buy Points promotion and the information in this thread is still relevant.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 2:36 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Please see or add to Consolidated "Current Points Purchase Promotion" thread

Will close here in favor of the more general thread and since the o.p.'s question has been answered.

cblaisd, Co-Moderator, Hilton forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.