Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Current Points Purchase Promotion" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2022, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: _kurt
Hilton Points Purchase Promotions
FAQ

How often does Hilton offer promotions on purchased points?

What is the typical / best offer?

Hilton frequently offers a 100% bonus on points purchases. There may be a minimum purchase required to receive the bonus.

How many points can I purchase in a calendar year?
The normal restriction in Hilton T&C limits each member to purchasing 80,000 points per year. Typically the bonus points are awarded after the restriction is enforced, meaning with a 100% bonus promotion you can purchase 80,000 points and receive another 80,000 as a bonus for a total of 160,000. Sometimes for promotions later in the year, Hilton will temporarily raise the limit on purchased points to 160,000 per year. Meaning, if you had purchased 80,000 in a previous promotion you could now purchase 80,000 more. Or, if it was the first points purchase of the year on your account you could purchase 160,000 and receive a bonus of 160,000.

What are the rules on purchasing points from a new / recently created Hilton account?

Posted by jbeckett in a now-locked thread:
From the Hilton Honors terms and conditions: https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-honors/terms/

A new Hilton Honors Member may purchase Points 30 days after enrollment if the account reflects activity including a stay (as defined herein) or earning Hilton Honors Points through a Hilton Hilton Honors Marketing Partner. After 90 days of enrollment, a new Member is eligible to purchase Points regardless of their account activity.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Current Points Purchase Promotion" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Worth it to Purchase HHonors Points at a Discount?

just get a amex surpass and MS for the points if you want to buy them.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Take $320. Now take $160 of that and burn it.

Same deal.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton DIA, Accor Plat, IHG Spire, Marriot Titanium Elite, Total Rewards Diamond
I'd have to slightly disagree on this...

It totally depends on where you want to redeem in points vs the price of that property in cash.

a good example of this is the stories of people going to some of the 5,000 point a night (20,000 for 5 days) vs buying the points for $160 or paying $500 in cash directly.

Here in the UK the credit cards offer nothing like the bonus' people get in the US.

Research and make up your own mind, however if you only redeem in super high category properties, I would say no.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 10:19 am

Can I buy Hilton points using pounds? It's a real pain having to pay in dollars and having to pay foreign transaction fees.

Shame there's no Paypal option either.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by goldencondor
Can I buy Hilton points using pounds? It's a real pain having to pay in dollars and having to pay foreign transaction fees.

Shame there's no Paypal option either.
I'll take that as a no then

Used my debit card in the end, 2.99% plus £1 transaction fee.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
FYI... most of this thread is around 6 years old. Read all of it with a grain of salt.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Why would anyone want to buy HH points? Do you have a hotel you want to stay which has very high cash rate but reasonable award point rate? That is rare these days. I have a hard time trying to get the most value out of my 700K point balance.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by CIT85
Why would anyone want to buy HH points? Do you have a hotel you want to stay which has very high cash rate but reasonable award point rate? That is rare these days. I have a hard time trying to get the most value out of my 700K point balance.
They have an 80% points bonus at the moment. Plus, points purchases extend the life of your account.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
They have an 80% points bonus at the moment. Plus, points purchases extend the life of your account.
I get the extension thing.

But buying seems more expensive than just paying for the room in many cases. And when you pay, you earn points.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
I get the extension thing.

But buying seems more expensive than just paying for the room in many cases. And when you pay, you earn points.
Minimum purchase is $10 which seems reasonable to keep your account alive.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Minimum purchase is $10 which seems reasonable to keep your account alive.
I would agree.

Unless of course, Uncle Ironic comes into play. Another year goes by and you still do not use the points and they lapse anyways, along with that $10. LOL!
Old Feb 7, 2016, 10:47 am

I would agree.

Unless of course, Uncle Ironic comes into play. Another year goes by and you still do not use the points and they lapse anyways, along with that $10. LOL!
Hilton send an email when they have bonuses like this so there is no chance of me slipping up
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hilton send an email when they have bonuses like this so there is no chance of me slipping up
I was thinking that after a few years of buying points, some people would finally give up and realize they would not be using them. So, in that case, they would be wasting money keeping them alive. May not apply to you, but I am sure it does apply to some.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 3:12 pm

I was thinking that after a few years of buying points, some people would finally give up and realize they would not be using them. So, in that case, they would be wasting money keeping them alive. May not apply to you, but I am sure it does apply to some.
Got 8.5k atm which is enough for a category 1 hotel.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Just purchased the maximum amount of 80K + 64K = 144K points for $800 which boosts my account to >700K.

The offer is interesting as I am going to use the points to extend a stay at Rangali which is around 76K to 80K points per night (depending on the stay length).

The offer ends today Feb. 9th, 11:59pm ET.

Last edited by submonte; Feb 9, 2016 at 12:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.