Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Washington Dulles Airport {US-VA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Washington Dulles Airport {US-VA}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2002, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Well I stayed there (Hilton Dulles) - here's the scoop. It was worth the price ($60.30 - a published price available through the travel agency). But...

(1) Housekeeping. Clear candy wrappers (3 of them, from mints or something) on the chair in the room. Then I stepped on a honey-roasted peanut. Long black hairs on the bathroom floor and on and around the hair dryer. I made mention of it @checkout. I should have complained the night before, but I was only there about 13 hours total.

(2) The health club is great. One of the better hotel clubs. (You can buy a membership, too, and its not "impressive" as a private club, but for a hotel, I'd give it an 80%+ rating).

(3) There was no discernable benefit as a gold at the property for a weekend stay. Upon checkin, the agent said "we have your gold #, etc." I asked if there was a lounge, and told yes, but it is closed on the weekend. Breakfast coupons not offered. (As I was going to be leaving early, I didn't push the point - just wondered if it would be offered). There was no bottled water in the room, and when I called down, a bottle was sent w/o hesitation. If my room was "upgraded" it was not discernable. No biggie, as I was there 13 hours.

(4) Staffing problems. One of the guys at the front desk when I checked in at 5PM was working the next morning at 545AM when I checked out. People are not showing up for work, en masse. This same guy (nice guy) ended up being our airport shuttle driver, too, as it was past 605am (for a 6am shuttle) and the driver just wasn't there.

The public areas of this hotel seem nice. All in all, if the maids would pay attention, and the staff would show up for work, the hotel would be decent. And for a Hilton at a Motel 6 price, I'm not complaining.
Old Aug 30, 2002, 5:51 am

Really annoyed about the Hilton @ Dulles

Hi there,
Finishing off a two week trip to the US last week (and completing the INTU promotion), I was booked in to stay at the Hilton at Dulles airport. I regret that I booked this one.

The hotel itself was OK but nothing special. What really annoyed me was arriving at 11:25pm, calling the hotel and asking where the shuttle bus went from. I was told stand 2H and one would be there within 15 minutes. When the shuttle finally arrived at 1:05am I was really quite annoyed. I had made 3 phone calls to the hotel asking when the shuttle would arrive and was told to just wait as it would be soon. I'm sorry but 1 and 1/2 hours to wait for a 10 minute shuttle bus ride is unnacceptable.

I will be writing to the hotel and Hilton corporate as I want a partial refund on what was a very expensive room.

I would recommend that if you need to rely on the shuttle bus service, do not under any circumstances use the Hilton at Dulles. Pick the Marriott or Hyatt, thier shuttles actually run!

Jason
Old Aug 30, 2002, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1PMM,AAG; usedtobeelite
Did they offer an explanation?
Old Aug 30, 2002, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/005012.html

Contains comments of my recent stay.
Old Aug 31, 2002, 12:36 am

Programs: SPG Pref+, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, BA Blue, AA Riff-Raff, UA Unwashed, Travel Anonymous Platinum
Would it be easier to take a taxi to the hotel? How much might it cost? I'll be arriving at IAD at about 10 pm and have a 9 am flight to catch the next day (to LHR), so wouldn't want to spend 1 1/2 hours cooling my heel (esp in November!)....

Thanks.
Old Oct 28, 2004, 1:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Hilton Dulles stay October 2004

We actually booked a Junior Suite, as it was very decently priced ($119,) and we'd likely have been upgraded to one anyway (but, I wanted to be sure...) I noted for the record my status, and a late arrival.

On IAD arrival (23:30,) I used my cell phone to call for a van, which arrived within five minutes or so. Our arrival at the hotel, there was one young, harried desk clerk, and it took a while to check in - but our suite had been blocked for us. If we'd been hungry, we could have used room service, which is open 24 hours a day (but a couple who arrived with UA coupons due to a mechanical were told they could use the meal vouchers on check in, then told they could NOT at checkout!)

The no-smoking king room on the fifth (executive) floor was nicely prepared, and clean; housekeeping did a good job the four nights we stayed here. There were two bottles of Poland bottled water on our arrival, with a printed form leter; two more bottles were left by housekeeping every day. There were plenty of furnishings, including several chairs and a sofa, a good work desk with wired HSI, the usual menu-driven TV and game (Lodgenet, I believe.) Occasional noise from aircraft and some road trafic did penetrate the room, as did crying from a child in the room next door one evening, but the noise was fairly well attenuated. Caveat: We were at the southern end of the building, and Hilton is adding a new wing - it could get noisy on weekdays after 7:00. This will last for some time, IMO.

The restaurants (Olive's, and the Cardinal Lounge, which is shared with the lounge, where smoking is allowed,) were fair - in food selection, and service varied from disinterested and glacial to friendly once we were recognized. Our Continental breakfast tickets were accepted, and for $1.50 we could upgrade to the house buffet - fairly usual Hilton breakfast buffet. While we were here, Gen. Paul Tibbetts, "Dutch" VanKirk and Tom Ferebee, who were the surviving crew of the "Enola Gay" B-29 that dropped the first atomic bomb used in war on Hiroshima, were here - and at the museum, where the Enola Gay is displayed, completely restored. Gen. Tibbetts says he has never lost a moment's sleep over the incident, as he feels the bomb saved over a million lives.)

The executive lounge (called "Concierge Lounge",) here is closed after serving a Continental breakfast Friday morning, until Sunday evening (the breakfast chits are requested at the front desk on a dialy basis when the lounge is closed.) Breakfast was unremarkable, and the young woman who looked after the lounge basically just put food out and cleaned up - she was certainly not a concierge. The gentleman who sees after the lounge evenings is, however, and frendly and knowledgeable to boot. He put out a decent selection of hot hors d'oeuvres, and a selection of cheeeses, crudites, etc.

There is airport van service every 30 minutes, 24 hours a day, but sometimes it varies - a disinterested driver can be as much as ten minutes late. There is also a van service ($5 round trip) to the new National Air and Space Museum's Stephen F. Udvar-Hazy Center at nearby Chantilly (s.e. corner of IAD, essentially,) beginning at 10:00 AM, which is when the museum opens, and ends at 17:30 - a bit early for those who use the NASM bus departing from downtown at 17:00 (and local taxi companies neither want to provide service, nor do the dispatchers seem to even know it is there - when I used my cel phone to call Red Top, the dispatcher kept yelling at me "What is it called?" Well, it is STILL called the National Air and Space Museum, Stephen F. Udvar-Hazy Center!)

BTW, one reasonable way to town is to get to the Udvar-Hazy and take the NASM bus to the NASM downtown DC - $7.00, discounted for quantity. The first busses depart each NASM branch at 9:00, before the museums open. The downtown NASM is next door to the newly-opened Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of the American Indian (queues are very long!)

The biggest aggravation we found at the Hilton Dulles was the disinterested service, provided by unhelpful and poorly-trained personnel. Not one desk employee we dealt with was in the least bit helpful - I had asked one employee (Eric) for a taxi (to be taken) for 8:30, and when I inquired at 8:40, I was told "it will BE HERE at 8:30!" This was only one of several argumentative interactions I had, and I noticed I was far from the only one. A chap who stays here regularly for business tells me he stays here because the accommodations are decent and cheaply priced, but the service is consistently poor.

In summary, the hotel is well situated for business, the new NASM annex, or an overnight between conecting flights at IAD, and often can be had economically. The food is fair, the hotel is clean (but look out for the daytime hours construction if you need a dayroom for resting - your room could be susceptible to lots of noise.) You will most likely receive an upgrade (if it is available) to a spacious Junor Suite with HHonors status, but tepid service at best, regardless of your Hilton HHonors status, except from housekeeping staff and the afternoon concierge.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 23, 2011 at 6:40 pm Reason: edit
Old Oct 30, 2004, 6:54 am

Location: Mesa, AZ., USA, DL Gold,CRC,WN whatever,AA nobody,HHonors Diamond,Starwood Gold, could careless about Rental Car Co's.
April of 2002, I found the Dulles Hilton most extraordinary. As Gold then, I was upgraded to something, don;t know what it was but it was a HUGE, I mean one HUGE room, a King room with an open living room setting, lots of space. LOVED it. Perhaps the Jr suite, I dunno. Furnishings were exquisite. Wouldn't hesitate to go back; especially snce the Air/Space Museum has moved out to Dulles. ^
Old Oct 30, 2004, 7:57 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I stay either at this property or the Doubletree in Tysons every time I am in town.

As a Diamond I have ALLWAYS been upgraded to a junior suite. In fact, last time I was there (2 weeks ago for sisters wedding), I booked 2 rooms, and both were upgraded to Junior suites. This on a $60 rate.

I have found housekeeping to be adequate. The beds are comfortable. Most of the time, I have gotten rooms that overlook the airport. Might not be something your intersted in, but I enjoy watching the planes. No problems with noise either.

I have never used the shuttle, but they tell me it runs every 30 min. The eats are fine. Though the Champagne is terribly over-priced (Guess I should not be all that surprised).

The lounge is ok. The guy that was working it last time I was there was very good about asking people what room number they are in, to keep out the Riff-Raff

Overall, I highly recomend this property as a good value. The HHV it is not, but it is a fine property, and should service your needs.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA 2P (will be 0P next yr), HH Diamond (thank you Surpass Card!)
I stayed here this past Labor Day Weekend, and was quite happy with the hotel. I did not particularly notice a lack of service, but we were there for only two nights and a day (which was mostly spent at the Udvar-Hazy).

As Gold, we were upgraded, although not to a Jr. Suite or to the executive floors. We did, however, receive a large, comfortable room on the "HHonors" floor (floor 3). This Hilton building is shaped in a semi-circle, and the living area (as opposed to the entry and bathroom space) of the rooms on the convex side (which we were on) is larger than that in rooms on the concave side. It was not a Jr. Suite, but not too shabby . Speaking of shabby, the room did not appear old or worn at all - perhaps the rooms have been redecorated recently.

Although our breakfast coupons were for continental only, our waiter told us to help ourselves to everything on the buffet including the hot dishes -- perhaps because it was a holiday weekend and very slow at the hotel?? (Although in that case, why did we not get a Jr. Suite ?!?).

All in all, I was pleased enough with the hotel that I will be staying there again this weekend. Maybe I should put in my request now for that Jr. Suite upgrade........
Old Nov 3, 2004, 7:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Stayed at the Hilton Dulles this past weekend..

Positive notes:

1. Check-in was fine.. employees were not standing around idle at all. They gave me a nice room (I'm HH Gold) on the top floor (5th) which was basically a suite (one big room with sitting area, work area, etc.). No mention of breakfast but I didn't ask for coupons either.

2. The gym facilities are definitely above average for any hotel. ^^

Negatives:

1. The walls are thin. I could hear children talking in the room next to mine. Not shouting.. just talking.

2. There is no way to block out the sunlight if you want to sleep in late. Only the thin, gauzy curtains extend across the entire window.. the thick, heavy curtains don't go as far. Recommend bringing eyeshades.

For $67/night (after taxes!), it was a deal.

Last edited by izzik; Nov 8, 2004 at 8:36 am
Old Nov 8, 2004, 9:40 am

Just back from our weekend in D.C.; here's a quick update on the Dulles Hilton, where we stayed Sat. night. Received a Jr. Suite upgrade on the fifth floor (and without even asking for it ahead of time ). Very nice room, indeed. Two bottles of water were in the room. The folks at check-in were very friendly. But, I realized later that no breakfast coupons had been offered (the executive lounge being closed on the weekend). This is different from our first stay here, when the coupons were immediately prepared and presented to us along with the keys at check-in. However, coupons on this stay were given after I asked for them (lesson here: always ask for your VIP perks). The food in Olives was fine - not haute cuisine, but perfectly acceptable - and the waitstaff was friendly.

So, I still give this Hilton a ^ .
Old Nov 10, 2004, 8:25 am

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
I just stayed at the Embassy Suites - Dulles Airport last week. It was much better than the Hilton (though I haven't stayed there in about a year). The Embassy Suites was only $79 a night which included the suite (of course), breakfast, and the manager's reception. There was a swan in the courtyard which my kid really liked. Free shuttle to the airport, plus some decent restaurants 1/4 mile away.
Old May 23, 2005, 7:44 am

Hilton Washington Dulles Airport Trip Reports and Reviews

I stayed one night recently (a Saturday)

Check-in: front desk personnel ignored me for quite a while as I prominently stood at the Hilton Honors check-in area within easy view; they opted instead to attend to already checked in guests walking up to the desk to ask questions about various things

Decor: very dated dark earth tones 70's in my room (which was, however, a nice size, and on the executive level); concierge lounge nearby was closed on Saturday.
There was a vague smell of dirty feet in the room, and the privacy lock on the door did not work.

Intermittently (mostly) non-functional remote control on the TV.
Could not get the Wayport system to work with my Mac and the cable they provided, despite repeated efforts.
Most electrical outlets would not accept my multiple electronics to charge (only the one on the desk did).

It took 20 minutes to fill the bathtub and the jets on the "jacuzzi" tub did not work.

There was no mini-bar in the room, so I went down the hall to the soda machine in search of diet soda: the sign on the door to the nearest vending area said "ice and soda" -- but all they had was ice, many racks of bottled water, and snacks -- no soda of any kind. I then went on to another vending area on the other side of the building: "sold out" of diet coke. I went on to a third vending area on another floor: diet coke not stocked, only sugared stuff. Finally at the fourth vending area I scored a diet coke.

The alarm clock in the room did not go off.

Good: very close to Dulles Airport, free and timely 24-hour every half hour shuttle to the airport, cheap on weekends.
Old May 23, 2005, 7:51 am

Programs: AA gold, UA Premier, HH Gold, *wood gold, PC gold
Shocking for a Hilton.... guess we know why it's cheap.
Old May 23, 2005, 9:21 am

Wow! What a stream of bad luck for you. Sorry to hear of your disappointing stay.

I have stayed here several times in the last few months and have not had any problems. Perhaps I have just been very lucky , but I have had no complaints. The front desk staff has been attentive on my stays (which have always been over the weekend). Yes, the executive lounge is closed from Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon and that is a bummer. But many Hilton exec lounges are closed over the weekends, likely because the particular hotels are not busy then (which could be another reason why this hotel is cheap on weekends). We have always received coupons for free continental breakfast in the restaurant (which the waiters often upped to full buffet) in recompense for the closed lounge. They have been rehabing the rooms; perhaps you had the bad luck of getting one that has not been revamped yet. I can't explain the lack of diet Coke, however. That does sound inexcusable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.