Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Premium Room Reward only at certain properties - Major Devaluation of HH points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Room Reward only at certain properties - Major Devaluation of HH points

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by deant
When the OP started this thread Bora Bora and Moorea had DELETED all standard award rooms. Everything was quoted as a "Premium" room. Since that time Hilton has reclassified a "Twin" room as a standard room at both locations. It is obvious that they did this because of their claim that "if there is a standard room available, you can have it with points". By definition, a hotel must have some sort of a "standard" room.

As for availability, you should look at what rooms are now available for a standard award. Up until the first of October, both Bora Bora and Moorea considered both King and Twin rooms as standard and could be had for the 50K per night or less. At Bora Bora this meant that there were potentially 16 rooms available for award redemption. Now it is potentially 3 with the elimination of King rooms from the "standard" classification. As for Moorea, you quote 56,661 per night for a room. Remember, this had been 42,500 per night up until the first of Oct. This is a 35% increase in point requirements! If you look in the May 2012 time frame, the majority of time the minimum is 63,946 points per night. This is for what used to be a standard room and could be had for the 42,500 points. This is a 50% increase in point requirements.

The most upsetting thing is not really the reclassification, but giving no notice and absolutely no communication. The last word from Hilton was that the change was a "glitch". They have NEVER come out and told us if the current definition is still a "glitch" or if this is the intent. Wouldn't it be nice to know?
And let us not forget the multiple cited instances at these hotels since the "fix" where the supposedly "standard" twin room is available for cash yet cannot be redeemed for points leaving only premium room rewards available. This screams capacity controls and flies in the face of
"If there’s a standard room available at any Hilton Family hotel or resort worldwide, you can redeem points for it. No exceptions, no fine print. It’s that simple."
Old Nov 5, 2011, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nic3456
Mock 7 Night stay next October at BBN -

Purchase Price
Twin Lagoon - Fr 55,350/nt
King Lagoon - Fr 55,350/nt

Rewards
Twin - 37,500/nt
King - 177,263/nt

If I want King it says "You will need to purchase 984,430 points for $28,732.90 "

Awesome, even better pricing than I get from Delta reward search engines!
Uh, have you ever gotten 720K miles for a RT J award to Asia?

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The "Diamond Force" benefit was gutted as part and parcel of this "premium room reward thing.
+1

Originally Posted by FD1971
Anderson is one of the few airline managers in the US, who knows how to run an airline (mostly because KLM told him how to run one and after quite some years of learning, he was able to take it to the next level on an even bigger scale. Unfortunately, dealing with Air France is subject to far more obstacles in comparison to the very result-oriented approach of KLM in the 1990's)
While I agree RA is what you say, I fail to understand his rationale in letting Jeff really pull off some sleazy moves to the FFP. RA was smart in dealing with the WP program and bringing folks like Bob Soukup in, they were true customer focused people.

Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
The issue is that Hilton gave zero notice to its Diamond members of this devaluation (and I think zero is being generous - we still haven't received any official communication as to these new policies.) I have no problem with Hilton providing two tiers (Standard and Premium), as long as they don't dramatically reduce the availability of Standard while lying about it - not what's happened here.
+1000. This is the heart of the matter for me. Like Delta, HH didn't just change the program. They did so in a very sleazy way. No notice to customers, no straightforward answer, they simply changed the rules (which they have a right to do) and then made up excuses in the meantime. They use the intro of prem categories to silently kill the DSA, then blame IT and properties (via ambiguous definitions) so they can mask this all as enhancements.

DL's has tried this, and it's never been a good PR move for them.

Remember what DL did when 3 tiers came out, guess what went away? Lows....
Old Nov 5, 2011, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The OP's original premise - that Moorea no longer offers Standard awards - is demonstrably false. Maybe the OP's scope of investigation was inadequate, maybe he didn't characterize his findings with total precision, maybe Hilton has changed its implementation for Moorea in the four weeks since his post, but a simple flexible date search shows awards available at 50K points/night that are plainly labeled Rate Type: STANDARD ROOM AWARD. I'm not going to bother to validate or disprove assertions made against every property named in this thread.
when the op made that claim (that moorea no longer offered standard rooms), it was not false, op's scope of investigation was absolutely adequate & he characterized his findings with total precision....

at that point the property was blaming hilton for implementing premium only awards & hilton was blaming the individual properties from making the same decision....there was no mention of a glitch in the first few days....
Old Nov 5, 2011, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by jake66
the premium awards are so expensive it seems hard to imagine that many people will use them.
They almost seem like a joke. If you were doing a bit of due diligence to see what the program could do for you and saw these numbers would you ever switch from another program?

I imagine a guy who stays at say 15 marriotts a year who has an upcomng trip in a city where there is a hilton for a good price. Hmm, he thinks. I wonder what I could get if I switch to Hilton. He does a search to see what kind of reward he could get for himself and his wife for a long weekend in New York, and the Doubletree Times Square comes up with a king room for 142,228 points per night. As much as people joke about delta, can you imagine what this guy is thinking? It must be a typo. I would respectfully suggest to Hilton they would be better off showing no availability at all. I wonder if they have statistics showing premium redemptions. I find it hard to believe that anyone saavy enough to accumulate 500,000 points would ever use them for 3 days anywhere. From a marketing perspective what on earth could this possibly get them? They are right to think many don't pay attention to the intricacies. But they also need to be careful not to get branded as the chain that all the people in the office have learned gets you nothing for your points.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 11:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by lkar
They almost seem like a joke. If you were doing a bit of due diligence to see what the program could do for you and saw these numbers would you ever switch from another program?

I wonder if they have statistics showing premium redemptions. I find it hard to believe that anyone saavy enough to accumulate 500,000 points would ever use them for 3 days anywhere. From a marketing perspective what on earth could this possibly get them? They are right to think many don't pay attention to the intricacies. But they also need to be careful not to get branded as the chain that all the people in the office have learned gets you nothing for your points.
There are some properties that the premium awards are a good deal (but these are probably few and far between). For example, based on 4 nights at the HWV the standard room is 42,500 but the Premium Part Oceanview room is only 36,960. This is obviously due to the "poor" redemption value at Waikoloa. The part Oceanview room has a BAR of $264.

Again, this just goes to show how insane the HHonors redemption system is. You can get a Premium room for less than a standard room. Hilton needs to come up with a system that is reasonable and can be understood. Using a flat redemption rate per dollar just does not work and causes people to be very wary of the program.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by deant
There are some properties that the premium awards are a good deal (but these are probably few and far between). For example, based on 4 nights at the HWV the standard room is 42,500 but the Premium Part Oceanview room is only 36,960. This is obviously due to the "poor" redemption value at Waikoloa. The part Oceanview room has a BAR of $264.

Again, this just goes to show how insane the HHonors redemption system is. You can get a Premium room for less than a standard room. Hilton needs to come up with a system that is reasonable and can be understood. Using a flat redemption rate per dollar just does not work and causes people to be very wary of the program.
Agree 100%. The key issues to my mind are (a) lack of communication (b) devaluation of both points and Diamond status, (c) completely barmy and ludicrous premium reward rates (as well as some weirdly low ones as pointed out) and (d) lack of communication. Oh, did I mention lack of communication? (I had a 'Greetings from Dallas' reply to my query to DD about this, saying they'd get HHonors to get in touch - nothing since, that's been 2 weeks and 3 reminder emails later from me)
Old Nov 5, 2011, 2:49 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
please don't cast aspersions on each others' motives

thanks. I think everyone I've seen in this thread has been trying to impart information. SO please keep it that way.

thanks

squeakr

co Mod HH
Old Nov 6, 2011, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Originally Posted by alanjrobertson
Agree 100%. The key issues to my mind are (a) lack of communication (b) devaluation of both points and Diamond status, (c) completely barmy and ludicrous premium reward rates (as well as some weirdly low ones as pointed out) and (d) lack of communication. Oh, did I mention lack of communication? (I had a 'Greetings from Dallas' reply to my query to DD about this, saying they'd get HHonors to get in touch - nothing since, that's been 2 weeks and 3 reminder emails later from me)
You've hit the nail on the head as to why I'm not going to pursue Diamond status this year. I was thinking that I might make a mattress run or two to make sure I got status and I'm about to pull the trigger on gaining status with another program. This would be my first non-Diamond year since 2004.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
It is more than a bit ironic that the hotel chain known for occasional promotions that permitted staying in really nice properties as reward for spending lots and lots of time in Hamptons and HGI's has in one grand move become the chain in which basic redemption is the high value option of using points.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bluehen1
You've hit the nail on the head as to why I'm not going to pursue Diamond status this year. I was thinking that I might make a mattress run or two to make sure I got status and I'm about to pull the trigger on gaining status with another program. This would be my first non-Diamond year since 2004.
Add that to Hilton's lack of transparency in this and silent devaluation, the motivation to reach Diamond is gone.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 1:55 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by alanjrobertson
Maybe the Hhonors BRG team have been promoted to manage the awards system?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 2:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I am glad to report I managed to get a Standard Redemption at the CDG Hilton for the dates I needed. I'm now down to 347 HH points and don't plan to earn many more so all is good on my end. ^
Old Nov 10, 2011, 4:20 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Here is another FTer's discovery of "no standard rooms available" at the ADT in Paris.

Frustrating!
Old Nov 10, 2011, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Hilton ADT Paris

Originally Posted by dwcatty
Here is another FTer's discovery of "no standard rooms available" at the ADT in Paris.

Frustrating!
Sorry, that's false and needs to be debunked. I just did a quick search using flexible dates, plenty of 50K/Night room show up on various dates, even points + money award for 25K points + 150 Euro for Hilton Arc de Triomphe in Paris. The room type is a King Guest Room. Date is Dec.10-11, 2011. Try using the flexible date function, it will scan and tell you which dates are available and which aren't.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Guava
Sorry, that's false and needs to be debunked. I just did a quick search using flexible dates, plenty of 50K/Night room show up on various dates, even points + money award for 25K points + 150 Euro for Hilton Arc de Triomphe in Paris. The room type is a King Guest Room. Date is Dec.10-11, 2011. Try using the flexible date function, it will scan and tell you which dates are available and which aren't.
The poster isn't saying that there aren't standard rooms available EVER, just not when they are traveling. Also, they already have a standard room and the agent would not switch them from a paid stay to an award stay which is why the poster was frustrated. They could always risk throwing the room out and re-booking as an award right away, but then they could lose their paid stay as well.

I think the same problem could have also occurred pre-October 3rd. I don't think it's a result of the system changes, unless they re-classified the "standard" room to a smaller pool of rooms. For example, FP re-classified standard rooms to Twin LVS - and there are only a few at each resort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.