Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

UK Hilton Honors Platinum Visa change to joining offer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK Hilton Honors Platinum Visa change to joining offer

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2013, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Does anybody know where to chase if one of the 2500 bonus point stays didn't track correctly?

For 3 of my 4 stays, it tracked fine, and somewhat unexpectedly tracked via the hotel stay, rather than the credit card statement. But 1 is missing, and since I have spend targets on the AA card, I don't particularly want to use this card any more than I have to...

I'm also missing points for credit card spend since February. Since it was done correctly once, surely they haven't set up a second Hhonors account for me have they?
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
I'm still waiting for ANY of my bonus points to post - as well as April points! Sadly Barclaycard (that run the Hilton VISA) are notoriously rubbish - they also run the IHG card and are as useless with it. MBNA are much more switched on!

[email protected] is the address you want to use
Old Jun 15, 2013, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Cheers. Strangely enough, my 4th 2500 bonus just posted, attached to a stay where I didn't use my Hilton visa.

Yeah, I think once I use my hotel night certificate, this card is a candidate for being dropped as I wouldn't want to put 10k on it and find they couldn't sort out gold status either...
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Raffles
Book for 2 people, put in note that he is 2nd guest and will arrive first, should be fine
Thanks for this. On a separate but related question, do Hilton ever allow people to extend the expiry of this certificate? And if so, how do I go about doing it?
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:37 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Thanks for this. On a separate but related question, do Hilton ever allow people to extend the expiry of this certificate? And if so, how do I go about doing it?
When I used my certificate (this time last year), the website seemed to show them as crediting my HHonors account with the required number of points then booking me a normal points room with them. I don't know if that's just how it looks on the website but under the hood it's different, or if cancelling the room would give back the points and thus allowing you to use them long after the certificate has expired. If you have a cert about to expire you can't otherwise use, you could always try it as an experiment - book at the most expensive property you can in case you do get to keep all the points!
Old Jun 28, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: BAEC, HHonors Gold, Amex
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Cheers. Strangely enough, my 4th 2500 bonus just posted, attached to a stay where I didn't use my Hilton visa.

Yeah, I think once I use my hotel night certificate, this card is a candidate for being dropped as I wouldn't want to put 10k on it and find they couldn't sort out gold status either...
It seems that giving Gold Status is the one thing that does go through OK.

I have been Gold for a couple of months now but have received the bonus points for some stays and not others, and haven't got my free night certificate yet.

I've been told that I should get the certificate in the next couple of weeks so I'm giving them a little while before emailing the address quoted above.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
When I used my certificate (this time last year), the website seemed to show them as crediting my HHonors account with the required number of points then booking me a normal points room with them. I don't know if that's just how it looks on the website but under the hood it's different, or if cancelling the room would give back the points and thus allowing you to use them long after the certificate has expired. If you have a cert about to expire you can't otherwise use, you could always try it as an experiment - book at the most expensive property you can in case you do get to keep all the points!
I have just booked and yes the booking does appear exactly as if you had made a points booking, it shows the price as 50,000 HHonors points. It seems very possible that if I cancelled it I would just get the points. Id prefer the points than the free night( I am really only booking the night to use the cert before it expires) but I dont know if I want to mess about with this.

If you did get the points back, then surely you could use these certificates to book a 90k room, and then get the 90k points by cancelling - seems unlikely that Hilton would allow this but maybe a loophole to be tested..

Last edited by Enigma368; Jul 5, 2013 at 11:53 am
Old Jul 5, 2013, 11:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
So who's going to try it out then?
Old Jul 5, 2013, 11:55 am

So who's going to try it out then?
I could but the problem is if I just end up getting my cert back, then I have to call up to book the same room again with the cert which would be embarassing and also the availability might be gone.

I am tempted though. Surely someone must have already tried this?
Old Jul 5, 2013, 12:03 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Why don't you book a paid for stay, same hotel same day that is cancellable, beforehand. If you can do it, you know there is availability.
Then try cancelling your certificate stay, I would imagine you would be very unlikely to get the same operator twice.
If you need to, you could just say you cancelled the wrong booking
Then at some point before the stay you just cancel the paid for booking......
Old Jul 5, 2013, 12:08 pm

Then try cancelling your certificate stay, I would imagine you would be very unlikely to get the same operator twice.
If you need to you could just say you cancelled the wrong booking, then at some point before the stay you just cancel the paid for booking......
Well there are two other variables:

1) As my booking is for next weekend, if I cancel and dont get the points, they may need to re-issue a cert, which I might get too late
2) Say I did the points initially but then a month later they pick up on this, take the points off me and re-issue my cert - at which point the cert will have expired and they might say "tough"

In other words if I had lots of time before the cert expired I would def try this, but I dont..
Old Jul 5, 2013, 12:26 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

1) As my booking is for next weekend, if I cancel and dont get the points, they may need to re-issue a cert, which I might get too late

I imagine if they re-issued it would come straight away, if it didn't a call to customer services should resolve

2) Say I did the points initially but then a month later they pick up on this, take the points off me and re-issue my cert - at which point the cert will have expired and they might say "tough"

I'd be very surprised if they are that smart or have the time to bother, you could always make another bogus points booking/s to utilise the points and empty your acvount, until you decide what to do with them.

In other words if I had lots of time before the cert expired I would def try this, but I dont..
Old Jul 5, 2013, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by KeithJenner
It seems that giving Gold Status is the one thing that does go through OK.

I have been Gold for a couple of months now but have received the bonus points for some stays and not others, and haven't got my free night certificate yet.

I've been told that I should get the certificate in the next couple of weeks so I'm giving them a little while before emailing the address quoted above.
I'm not sure how much I'd trust them! I was still missing my 10k bonus plus my cert. Barclaycard manager said Hilton had to add the points and that the cert had definitely been issued in Feb. I pointed out I'd received no notification of this from either Barclaycard or Hilton so would need it reissued given the six month validity - he agreed to do so and said this would be on my Hilton a/c within a week. I then emailed Diamond Desk - they said the card wasn't linked to my account for some reason (despite the regular spend points posting OK!) but they could see the stays so manually added the 10k points. I asked them to check if the cert was showing on my account and they said it wasn't. Despite it apparently having been applied in February!! So will probably need to make more phone calls in a week or so. On the upside I have more use for the voucher in the 2nd half of the year so it suits me better!
Old Jul 25, 2013, 5:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I redeemed my free night certificate yesterday, they didn't have the night I wanted at the Hotel I wanted so I booked an alternative night to test the system.

Got an email that showed as a 50k points reservation cancellable until midnight the day before stay.
Turns out I couldn't make the alternative stay, so I cancelled online last night 22.15 UK time.

Checked this morning, but no points had been credited to my account for the cancellation.

Called up customer services and rebooked for another night at the same Hotel, this time requiring 70K points.
Without me prompting he asked if I wanted to use the certificate, despite me using and cancelling.

Received a confirmation email quoting the original certificate number.

So I guess this clarifies things!
Old Aug 15, 2013, 6:55 am

I redeemed my free night certificate yesterday, they didn't have the night I wanted at the Hotel I wanted so I booked an alternative night to test the system.

Got an email that showed as a 50k points reservation cancellable until midnight the day before stay.
Turns out I couldn't make the alternative stay, so I cancelled online last night 22.15 UK time.

Checked this morning, but no points had been credited to my account for the cancellation.

Called up customer services and rebooked for another night at the same Hotel, this time requiring 70K points.
Without me prompting he asked if I wanted to use the certificate, despite me using and cancelling.

Received a confirmation email quoting the original certificate number.

So I guess this clarifies things!
It does, thanks for letting us know. At least now I know I havent missed out on anything

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.