Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

UK Hilton Honors Platinum Visa change to joining offer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2011, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ *Gold

Previously the joining bonus was 10,000 hh points, sometimes as low as 7,500. Now the website says:

"EARN A FREE NIGHT AT ANY OF OUR 10 DISTINCT HOTEL BRANDS AROUND THE WORLD Spend £750 within 90 days of opening your Hilton HHonors Platinum Visa account and receive a free night certificate.With 3,700 hotels and resorts in 82 countries, you’re closer than ever to sharing a free night with the ones you love"

So that could be as much as 50K equivalent if you choose a cat 7 hotel. Might be worth signing up if you need a back up for places that don't take AMEX. Ongoing points earning isn't that generous, and certainly not as generous as the US version. There is a stay bonus of 2500 points per stay for the first four stays during the card membership year, and ongoing Gold status at £10k spend per year.

The card has no annual fee.

Regards
R3dV

Regards
R3dV
Old Aug 7, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, BA Silver, FB Explorer
Under the card details section it says "Get a free night certificate, for any weekend night at many participating hotels in the Hilton Worldwide portfolio, when you spend £750 in the first 90 days".

Suggests it may exclude certain levels of hotels and it's a weekend night only. Couldn't find details of which hotels might be excluded but would guess it'll be the Cat 7 rather than Cat 1!
Old Aug 7, 2011, 1:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Interesting, was looking for a new visa card to replace the Marriott one (at least temporarily). Thanks for the heads up, will check it out and probably sign up sometime soon. Shame its not quidco-able too.

The T&Cs are pretty honest about the limitations I think in that it excludes vacation and all-inclusive properties.
https://www.hhonorscard.co.uk/Hilton...Conditions.pdf

Originally Posted by HiltonHonors
Free Night Reward Certificate is good for one weekend night of accommodations (room rate and tax,
plus resort fees if applicable) at most category 1-7 hotels and Waldorf Astoria Hotels and Resorts in the Hilton Worldwide
portfolio, with certain exceptions and subject to availability. Free Night Reward Certificate may not be used at All-Inclusive or
Hilton Grand Vacation properties. For purposes of the Free Night Reward Certificate, a weekend night is defined as a Friday,
Saturday or Sunday night. Free Night Reward Certificate is valid for 6 months from date of issue and expires on the date noted
on the face of the Free Night Reward Certificate.
Other benefits include;
10k bonus points a year for staying 4 times at Hilton (first year only apparently, but equivilent to the previous 10k for signing up offer)
Earn 2,500 HHonors Bonus Points for each stay completed at a participating property within the Hilton Worldwide portfolio of
hotels when the stay is paid for with your Hilton HHonors Platinum Visa Card. 2,500 Bonus Points can be earned for up to four
stays each completed within the first 12 months from the date your Account was opened.
Hilton Gold for £10k spend, and silver just for signing up
If in any calendar year of card membership your total eligible purchases reach £10,000, you will be upgraded to Hilton
HHonors™ Gold status for the calendar year in which such status was earned through the end of the next calendar year.

Last edited by littlevoices; Aug 7, 2011 at 1:39 pm
Old Sep 29, 2011, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
If I hit my 10k spend for on 1st Jan 2012, then it looks like it would give me gold until 31st Dec 2013?

Last edited by rupert_s; Sep 29, 2011 at 4:10 pm Reason: Found the answer to my orginal question!
Old Sep 30, 2011, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rupert_s
If I hit my 10k spend for on 1st Jan 2012, then it looks like it would give me gold until 31st Dec 2013?

Since HH got rid of the rolling tier qualification periods, their "year" is April one year to March the next.

When you qualify part way through a year, they will give you to the end of that year, plus a full one.

So qualifying in January 2012 would get you part year to 31 March 2012, plus a full year to March 2013.

Can't see there is any difference in qualifying through card spending than nights/stays/base points.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 9:20 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by RedVee
Since HH got rid of the rolling tier qualification periods, their "year" is April one year to March the next.

When you qualify part way through a year, they will give you to the end of that year, plus a full one.

So qualifying in January 2012 would get you part year to 31 March 2012, plus a full year to March 2013.

Can't see there is any difference in qualifying through card spending than nights/stays/base points.
No, earning year is Jan-December, with status applicable to March the following year. Qualifying in Jan 2012 would earn you status for that year plus the following year, with status then 'hanging over' until the next March, ie 2012 plus 2013 and expiring March 2014.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
No, earning year is Jan-December, with status applicable to March the following year. Qualifying in Jan 2012 would earn you status for that year plus the following year, with status then 'hanging over' until the next March, ie 2012 plus 2013 and expiring March 2014.
Sorry Stewie, for not making the distinction between "earning year" and membership year. And of course, if you hit requirements in January 2012 for the whole of 2012 then the status would apply to April2013 to March 2014.

BUT is the spend year also aligned to Jan-Dec? In which case if you'd not hit £10K by Dec the counter would reset on 1 Jan.

I'll see if I can find anything in the original blurb sent with the offer.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 9:42 am

I've just received this card - having signed up two weeks ago after. I stay in a Hilton hotel at least 2 nights a week so it seems worth while for racking up the bonus points.

I've not yet seen any of my points for purchases appear on the Hhonors account but I imagine this will happen after my first statement (due 5th October - they seem to bill everyone on the same day). Does anyone know how long this takes?

I've also not yet had my free night certificate, but I only went over the £750 threshold 4 days ago. Again, this may take a while as I doubt it will be calculated until statement date - and then it may need to be posted.

Once I receive it I'll post on here about any special terms tied to the cert aside from what has already been mentioned.

As for the 2,500 bonus points for each stay, I had assumed they'd appear along with my normal points 2 days after checkout (as my 25k bonis points did with my non-Hilton amex) but they didn't. I'm hoping they too will be listed on my statement and appear in my Hilton account a few days afterwards.

To anyone who has this UK Visa card:
* Can you only see bonus points earned on a statement?
* How long does the free night cert take to arrive?
* When do the 2,500 bonus points for the first 4 stays appear?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
FWIW, I just applied for one of these cards and it was surprisingly easy. They have no interest in how many other cards you have or what your balances are. All they want to know is what you earn and what you spend. Immediate acceptance, at least for me.

So, if you were putting off applying because you though Barclaycard would reject you on the grounds of all the other cards you hold, don't worry.

You may well get a low credit limit, of course, due to the lack of data they want, but as you only need to spend £750 to trigger the free night that is unlikely to be an issue.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Interesting, it's taken me 3 attempts (over a few months) to get one, even with identical answers each time and no change in my other borrowing! Mind you given discussions in the Premium Rewards room thread I'm not sure I'll be hanging onto it too much after I've got my free night cert and 1st year bonus HHonors points!
Old Oct 19, 2011, 1:50 pm

I hit my £750 spend about a week ago but not sure where the certificate appears. It's not on my HHonors account (as they usually are for HHonors prmotions) but maybe it appears after my next statement. I've also done 3 Hilton stays since I got my card but haven't seen the 2500 points per stay. Anyone got either of these yet?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 2:00 pm

Programs: VS, BA, HHonours, IHG Rewards, Best Western
Originally Posted by NorthOrSouth
I hit my £750 spend about a week ago but not sure where the certificate appears. It's not on my HHonors account (as they usually are for HHonors prmotions) but maybe it appears after my next statement. I've also done 3 Hilton stays since I got my card but haven't seen the 2500 points per stay. Anyone got either of these yet?
The T&C's say to allow 6-8 weeks to receive the free night certificate and the same period for the bonus points to post. Hope you don't want to spend them before then!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by St Vincent
The T&C's say to allow 6-8 weeks to receive the free night certificate and the same period for the bonus points to post. Hope you don't want to spend them before then!
Thanks, I hadn't spotted that.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 1:54 am

I've had this card for about 6 weeks now - I spend £750 within the first week (I had a number of big purchases planned hence signing up for the card). I also made 3 Hilton stays within the first statement period.

Unfortunately something seems to be wrong with the online statement viewing, I'm unable to download the PDFs that detail the Hhonors points earned, and the telephone helpline say they can't help me. Unfoertunately the website does show enough details of what I owe to ensure I pay and have no way of getting out of it!

My statement date was 03/10 and the points have still not landed in my HHonors accounts, nor haved I had my free night cert yet. The helpline say they cannot help with points enquiries and to phone Hhonors - who I'm guessing know nothing until the points land...

I have been told they send the point details to Hilton on the last day of the month, so if the statement date is the 3rd of each month - it misses the point transfer by 3 days. I imagine this is where the 6 to 8 weeks comes from and why it takes so long (sounds like a nasty IT bodge to me, bolting middleware onto legacy systems)

I'm hoping that towards the end of the month (October) the September points will appear in my Hhonors account and the free night certificate will be generated.

I'll keep this thread posted...
Old Oct 20, 2011, 3:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG DIamond
Well after many months of browsing I've finally joined FlyerTalk!

I got the Hilton Visa just over a year ago. I got a sign up bonus of 20k points... would rather the free night offer they have now.

To answer a few questions...

Points show up on your paper statement, but don't seem to show online on the card account. Point are broken down into normal/ bonus, so for example if you spent £300 with hilton, you'd recieve 600 points and 300 bonus points.

Not had any issues with the card, and used the 3 stays in 90 days offer to get Gold earlier this year. I use the card for all my spending and it's quite impressive how it adds up. Due to the (potential) value of hilton points, I often calculate it's worth paying credit card fees to use the card on large purchases.

All offer bonus points etc. have shown up practially instantly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.