Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Making sense of Hilton reward options [UPDATED January 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This guide has been removed.
Print Wikipost

Making sense of Hilton reward options [UPDATED January 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kmandrew
I booked a 6 night stay at Nassau for my son who is Gold. I used a 39.5k premium room for the first night, 2 Citi certs for the weekend then 3 x 39.5k. My question is since the points came out of my Diamond account will my son get lounge access?
Well I'm happy to report my son checked in last night and was given Lounge access. I did call the DD and she put in a note that the points came from a long time Diamond but have no idea if that helped.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 7:36 am
eh9

Both my wife and I are Diamond members but mine will expire earlier. However, I have many more Hilton points than her. Is there any way I can book the stay with points but have her HH show up on reservation as well for benefits since mine will be expired? Thanks
Old Dec 13, 2016, 2:39 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by kmandrew
Well I'm happy to report my son checked in last night and was given Lounge access. I did call the DD and she put in a note that the points came from a long time Diamond but have no idea if that helped.
The hotel would have thought your son was the Diamond member, if you booked the stay over the phone properly and named him as the main guest.

Originally Posted by eh9
Both my wife and I are Diamond members but mine will expire earlier. However, I have many more Hilton points than her. Is there any way I can book the stay with points but have her HH show up on reservation as well for benefits since mine will be expired? Thanks
Not really. You can book the first night or two from her account and the rest with your points, and either call up or ask at check-in for them to join the reservations and see if they will allow her benefits to apply for the whole stay.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines, Hilton Honors Diamond
3 nights in HGI Kauai 1/10-1/13

Aloha!
Just booked 3 nights HGI in Kauai using points/money @ 16k/$65 per night/room. Standard rate is $253 for 2 nights, $289 for 1 night. Is my value per point used $1.25? New to this and looking for input.

Mahalo
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Kona San Diego
Aloha!
Just booked 3 nights HGI in Kauai using points/money @ 16k/$65 per night/room. Standard rate is $253 for 2 nights, $289 for 1 night. Is my value per point used $1.25? New to this and looking for input.

Mahalo
Your value per point is 1.25 cents, not dollars. That's a very good redemption! I redeem when I can get higher than .5 cents per point.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:53 am
GRM

I'm planning to book 5 rooms for the same night using points (50k per room). Is there any chance of getting the 5 for 4 deal?
Old Dec 28, 2016, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GRM
I'm planning to book 5 rooms for the same night using points (50k per room). Is there any chance of getting the 5 for 4 deal?
Not unless you work a deal with the manager at the specific property.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 12:30 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, Hilton Honors Diamond
^
Originally Posted by ehallison
Your value per point is 1.25 cents, not dollars. That's a very good redemption! I redeem when I can get higher than .5 cents per point.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:56 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Not really. You can book the first night or two from her account and the rest with your points, and either call up or ask at check-in for them to join the reservations and see if they will allow her benefits to apply for the whole stay.[/QUOTE]

My wife and I are both Hilton Honors Gold from HGVC so it may not make a big difference but I thought our points where transferable to either married/joint member. If we dump or HGVC properties into Hilton points I just assumed either owner/member could use them?
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nomad420
My wife and I are both Hilton Honors Gold from HGVC so it may not make a big difference but I thought our points where transferable to either married/joint member. If we dump or HGVC properties into Hilton points I just assumed either owner/member could use them?
Unlike some other hotel programs (Hyatt, SPG, Marriott), Hilton does not allow direct member-to-member points transfers.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 7:41 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by beltway
Hilton does not allow direct member-to-member points transfers.
nomad420 mentions HGVC and uses the term "joint member". If the nomads have a 'grandfathered' mutual account then they will indeed be able to things the rest of us can't. I know very little about this, except that there's a thread on FT here.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:08 am

Programs: SQ VA QF CX JL NH AA
Gday

I am new to the HH program but am investigating using points to book some standard reward nights. When i go to the Hilton website without logging on and look what nights are available to book with points there is plenty of availability no matter where i look ie Europe or Asia or Africa, but then when it comes to booking to reward night i have to log in which i do but then a yellow box shows at the top of the screen saying there is no availability on that night. Then when i use the flexible date option to look through many nights there is nothing available at all. Even for the rest of 2017.

Surely i am doing something wrong here? Or have i been conned?

At the moment i have no points in my account so could the zero balance be the reason it isn't showing any availability once logged in?

Bit annoyed as i have transferred a stack of points from my credit card into HH to use for reward nights or points and pay.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Pele.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pele1958
At the moment i have no points in my account so could the zero balance be the reason it isn't showing any availability once logged in?
Precisely. Unlike some other programs--most obviously, Marriott--Hilton will not let you book an award stay "on credit." If you don't have the points today, the system will disallow attempts to make such reservations.

This is a recurring source of confusion, so I've added a note to post #1.

Last edited by beltway; Jan 6, 2017 at 6:16 am
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:48 am

AXON no longer 12/31/2016

I don't know if this is news but I just found out the HHonors AMEX AXON award became the thing in the past since 12/31/2016 when calling to book Wishing I would have planned our vacation using this perk a week earlier
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

I've updated posts 1-10 and the wiki in light of the silent elimination of AXON awards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.