Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Making sense of Hilton reward options [UPDATED January 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This guide has been removed.
Print Wikipost

Making sense of Hilton reward options [UPDATED January 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2016, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Points and money is a promo award, not offered every night (like the limited inventory of standard rooms). Rather than hoping for Points & Money rooms to come available, consider booking standard night awards and a few paid nights.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 7:31 am

I have found points and money to be fairly rare, especially in New York. You could check night by night and maybe get some nights for points and money.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 8:36 am

Thank you for the heads up. I'll do points and money ---- I'll pay for one night and use points for the other! That should work.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 4:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
What's the best option of combining 3 different reservations to one stay.

I was going to book cash reservation and then add free night certificate for second night and points for third night. Do you think they will allow me to keep the same room if I book fancy one for cash and then cheapest room for other two nights? I think I read somewhere on the forum, to always start the stay with cash reservation and then add rewards, not the othery way around.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Richmond_Surrey
What's the best option of combining 3 different reservations to one stay.

I was going to book cash reservation and then add free night certificate for second night and points for third night. Do you think they will allow me to keep the same room if I book fancy one for cash and then cheapest room for other two nights? I think I read somewhere on the forum, to always start the stay with cash reservation and then add rewards, not the othery way around.
Remember you won't get any bonus points for your cash stay!
Old Mar 30, 2016, 7:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

2 or more back-to-back reservations is one stay

If the three reservations are consecutive (no intervening nights), then the whole thing counts as one stay. I believe it is Hilton that considers any stay that includes any award night as being an award stay, and you would get no points for any of it.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 8:28 am

I can live without points, considering the fact, that I will have 2 nights free. What about the room, do you think there will be a problem if I pay for fancy one and book cheap ones for points/free night cert?
Old Mar 30, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Start with the paid night, then add on the free/points nights. When checking in, politely ask the FD person if you can keep the same paid room for all three nights. This is their decision; can always tell you to move to another room for nights 2 & 3, but unlikely. Good luck. ^

Originally Posted by Richmond_Surrey
I can live without points, considering the fact, that I will have 2 nights free. What about the room, do you think there will be a problem if I pay for fancy one and book cheap ones for points/free night cert?
Old Apr 1, 2016, 6:36 am

I messed up and booked paid night on weekend (non-refundable in flash sale) which took away possibility to use certificate. So ended up with one paid night and one for points. And my friends will have nice weekend in Waldorf Amsterdam using my free night certificate.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: DL, SPG, HH,
Did hhonors change (re-value?) the VIP/GLON awards for cat 5s?
per http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...l#post16555283
a 5 night cat 5 award should be 140k points (28k/night).
I'm just perusing some options, and all my 5 night cat 5 searches are coming back as 120k points (24k/night), which is the listed award price for 5 night cat 4 hotels.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by agoogilydoogily
Did hhonors change (re-value?) the VIP/GLON awards for cat 5s?
per http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...l#post16555283
a 5 night cat 5 award should be 140k points (28k/night).
I'm just perusing some options, and all my 5 night cat 5 searches are coming back as 120k points (24k/night), which is the listed award price for 5 night cat 4 hotels.
The chart you're looking at is the historical chart (and flagged as such), not the current chart.

As stated in that post, VIP/GLON no longer exists. It was replaced years ago by Fifth Night Free at the same time that Hilton introduced variable (high/mid/low season) per-night pricing for individual categories.

Today, a cat 5 costs either 30K or 40K/night, so four nights cost either 120K or 160K, with an optional fifth night free.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: DL, SPG, HH,
I'm dum.
thx
Old Apr 7, 2016, 4:43 am

Programs: BA, Hilton, Lufthansa, Skywards, Sofitel, IHG
I have seen about 'use reward certificate' on Hilton website but (despite being Diamond) have never seen any more about them. Am I missing something?
Old Apr 7, 2016, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ElleBeeTee
I have seen about 'use reward certificate' on Hilton website but (despite being Diamond) have never seen any more about them. Am I missing something?
"Certificate" is Hilton's long-time in-house term for a free-night entitlement. When you redeem points for an award stay, Hilton's internal accounting system generates an electronic "certificate," which is attached to the relevant reservation as the means of payment.

In addition to points-based rewards, recall that at least one co-brand card (Citi Reserve) has a sign-up bonus that's not worth points per se, but rather 2 weekend nights. Hilton undoubtedly thinks of these as "certificates" too; like the points-related ones, they are purely virtual.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 5:02 am

Programs: BA, Hilton, Lufthansa, Skywards, Sofitel, IHG
Originally Posted by beltway
"Certificate" is Hilton's long-time in-house term for a free-night entitlement. When you redeem points for an award stay, Hilton's internal accounting system generates an electronic "certificate," which is attached to the relevant reservation as the means of payment.

In addition to points-based rewards, recall that at least one co-brand card (Citi Reserve) has a sign-up bonus that's not worth points per se, but rather 2 weekend nights. Hilton undoubtedly thinks of these as "certificates" too; like the points-related ones, they are purely virtual.
Thanks for explaining! I suppose e-certificate would be more apt in this day and age. Glad I haven't been missing out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.