Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
This thread is for archived general discussion of Hilton HHonors Hotels in or near London, United Kingdom through 2012. For information and discussion on individual hotels, please refer to LINKS for Hilton HHonors Hotels in or near London, United Kingdom

To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:
1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2004, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
CVO1K, you also posted this on the Marriott forum. Which chain are you staying at for the trip - Marriott or Hilton? Also, if you're looking for a generic best health club in London, then posting in the London forum would have made the most sense.

------------------
Sharon
Old Jan 3, 2004, 9:57 am

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K (3.52MM BIS miles) AA EXP (3.64MM)
I cross posted because I'm Marriott Platnium and Hilton Diamond and am open to staying at either chain based upon workout facilities and etc.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 3:05 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
I thoroughly enjoyed the Park Lane Hilton. It had some really nice ellipticals, treadmills....weight machines and I'm pretty sure free weights. It also had bottled water. I also used the sauna every day. Very nice...one of the best that I have stayed at, besides a few in Los Angeles that have access to a real health club...

Dawn
Old Jan 3, 2004, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
CVO1K, got it. Also, sounds like both Park Lane Hilton & Marriott have the best of the lot.

------------------
Sharon
Old Jan 15, 2004, 3:19 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
London Wembley Park
- Happy with the hotel/stay? No.
- Upgraded? As gold, I had to ask for an upgrade. Not sure what the upgrade was. Maybe room on higher floor.
- How are the rooms? Old, no air condition, thin mattress, at least clean. I had to change the room (heater not working, TV set not working). Staff was unhelpful, e.g. maid brought small heater but wasn't interested about non-working TV set ("call the reception"). Check-in agent wanted me to bring back the card key from the first room after I had changed to the new room. I refused to do it, so she had to come with me to get the card key back.
- Location? 10-15min walk from Tube station Wembley Park. Not really a good location.
- How is the exec. lounge? They don't have a lounge.
- Fitness club: I didn't use/check it. I saw from the outside that they have a pool which looked ok.
- Value for $ or points? Bad value even for a low room rate.

Hilton London Hyde Park
- Happy with the hotel/stay? In general, yes
- Upgraded? I arrived at 7am and was offered to check-in already. The agent also told me that I couldn't get an upgrade (Gold) at the moment. I'd get an upgrade if I check-in in the evening. I received a room on the 5th floor in the evening - not 100% sure about upgrade.
- How are the rooms? Ultra-small room though clean and in very good condition (what is important to me compared to getting an old room).
- Location? Excellent next to Hyde Park. Tube station Queensway is in the same building and station Bayswater is a 5min walk.
- How is the exec. lounge? I have not seen one. There was a "Club room" on the other side of my room. I tried to access it but the card key didn't work. It was already late so I preferred to go to bed instead of asking about it. I forgot about this room the next morning when I left.
- Fitness club: ?
- Value for $ or points? I'd stay there again if the price is alright (~70GBP).

I'm going to add pictures I've taken but I'll need some more time (most likely next month).

------------------
Pictures from hotel stays
Basic Hotel stays/nights/points calculator
Short overview: KLM FD, LH M&M
Old Jan 15, 2004, 6:33 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
I stayed at the Kensington in October and found it great, specially for that early morning A2 to LHR - very convenient. I too found the walk from Holland Park tube really lovely, specially in the afternoon sun down past the park. Nice area and I felt fine coming back from a late night concert at RFH. Had a 79 quid rate which was good.

Tried to book it for an upcoming trip, but was too slow and the cheapest rate avail was ~130 pounds (!). Luckily Hyde Park was 70.50 (for some reason?!?!) so have grabbed that. As the A2 also stops at Queensway station it's just as ideal. Thank god for small mercies. Now, how will I cope with a 0400 departure?!?!

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We stayed at the Gatwick Hilton 12/28. Came down from London on the Gatwick Express - once we took the bags off the train and onto a trolley, we never had to remove them.

Took a lift to the main floor and followed the signs - they have "Hilton" on the signs, so you can't get too far wrong.

Was somewhat crowded at the lobby, so they suggested I check in at the Lounge (I'm a Diamond). So I found the lounge and checked in.

We got a room in the tower wing (?), I think it was room 7308 - on the third floor. The lounge is on the 4th floor of that wing.

The hotel itself appeared to be very clean and well maintained. The room was a good size, and, as mentioned before, the bathroom was also very nice and well appointed.

The shower was a bit confusing, and I had no trouble getting water all over the floor until I sussed it out.

I think we had a couple of bottles of water in the room, and the coffee service was very complete. We were missing an ice-bucket and an ashtray. I called housekeeping, and they got there with the ashtray and ice bucket (already filled) but it took them a while.

We went to the lounge, and it is super! Happy hour (IIRC) was 5:30 - 7:30 PM with free drinks, and after that alcohol was for sale (at prices I didn't care to pay). So, after some coffee and snacks, we decided to go down to the lobby and check out the restaurant.

Said restaurant looked pretty nice, with a bar area and lots of space, but the menu sure indicated it was pricey - you know, $20 ham sandwiches and $8 beers (after the exchange). We decided to go into the terminal to eat. Gatwick village is loaded with restaurants and bars.

We wound up at a nice bar/eatery where we had a reasonable meal and a couple of beers, and watched the big sporting event on TV - a darts match. Sorry, my fellow Brits - darts just doesn't make it for me.

The hotel was pretty quiet and we slept well. In the morning, we wandered up to the lounge for breakfast. It's a continental breakfast, but the selection was excellent. You sit down and they serve you coffee, etc. Very nice. Really liked the lounge.

There were three terminals in the lounge with high speed connections. I logged onto one (they were free) and did some e-mail cleanup. Then we left.

Got the room for an Internet price of 90GBP. I'd go back again. Convenience can't be beat, if you've got a morning flight out of the South terminal.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I stayed at the Kensington Hilton 3 days earlier this month. Even though I am a HH Gold, I was upgraded to a Jr. suite. Prior to arrival, the hotel extended my L79 B&B weekend rate for Monday saving L20. Very pleasant staff, and 7th floor lounge is nice.

After walking by the Hyde Park Hilton, I switched a later stay to the Kensington, and the hotel staff extended the same rate. I was upgraded to non suite executive level floor. Although the Hyde Park Hilton has great park views, the Queensway area adjacent to the hotel is seedy.

[This message has been edited by cvg-aa (edited Jan 27, 2004).]
Old Jan 27, 2004, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Well, cvg-aa, consider yourself lucky as I didn't get an upgrade when I stayed there in November and December. However, I did get access to the lounge. After flying in from the US for a one night stay, I didn't feel much like arguing.

I might be planning another trip with my mother in March/April but haven't decided if I'll stay at Kensington or something a little more "in town".
Old Jan 27, 2004, 9:08 pm
SST

I've always liked the Kensington Hilton but two weekends ago we got the smallest room I've ever been placed in at a Hilton: it was cramped, too cramped for two people with luggage. I inquired at the desk if I'd been given a "single" by mistake and No, they said, it was a double. Well blow me down.

Seems I've always gotten an upgrade apparently, because I will NEVER stay in one of these rooms again if I have luggage and a companion. It was pathetic. Luckily, we spent the entire time out of the room except for sleeping, but if you were expecting to do any work in the room, you'd best forget it.

This was as a Diamond VIP, so I was a bit miffed at checkout. They mollified me by cutting the rate 10% when I complained, but still, there's NO excuse for paying essentially $200 a night for this. Except that it's London, and let's face it, the Bush Dollar (35% less value than last year) goes *nowhere* in Londontown 'cause rooms are so darned expensive. Back to using my points!
Old Jan 28, 2004, 5:34 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
London - Paddington & Kensington

Brief trip report on stays at Paddington & Kensington Hiltons.
Old Jan 31, 2004, 3:40 pm

Slightly off topic to this thread, but it was the best one I could find for my question.

Is it normally this difficult to get reward nights in London at Hiltons? I just tried for the weekend of Feb. 13 (i.e., the middle of winter!) and there was no availability at any property in central London. Only Gatwick and Croydon. I've only redeemed Hilton points once before (Budapest) and had no problems. I don't do Hiltons that often (Silver) but I've collected over 500k points over the years and thought I might use some of them now. Is it always this difficult -- or is it better for Diamonds?

Not to start a war on which program is better, but I will point out that I had no problem getting availability using my Starwood . . .
Old Jan 31, 2004, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi Techboy,

I would not have thought that the 13th would have been too busy ( of course it is St Valentine's Day weekend so peole might be treating their partners)

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 31, 2004, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Silver
TechBoy, you really dont want to waste your points staying at the Croydon Hilton - the place is a cruel joke - a total dump, even by the low/poor/under-staffed/badly trained/not trained...etc.. standards of most UK Hiltons - this place is dire. It is a filthy pit.
Old Jan 31, 2004, 9:12 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
The Waldorf, Olympia and Kensington have availability for Feb 13-15. 80,000 points for London Waldorf and 50,000 points for Olympia and Kensington.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.