Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at JAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 2:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

Picked up at JAX yesterday for my first time in 13 months. Much better experience this time even though I had to go to the counter by baggage claim. My contract was already printed and after a quick glance at my license I was given the keys to a 2019 300S with 3100 miles, leather and XM radio on my FCAR reservation.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

Well, I didn't seem to find an existing thread in search or the sticky, so I get to start one.

Any experiences here? Headed down this summer as PC with prepaid LCAR reservation.

Hoping for something other than a 300C and would even consider paying for an upgrade to something fancy (dirt cheap rate, trip is for a friend's wedding, and will actually have ~200 miles of driving over a couple days).
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've rented there twice and I find it strange it's not a Ultimate Choice location. Employees are friendly, sometimes you go by the desk in baggage claims other times you're directed to the garage across the street. My first time I got a high mileage Impala my second time the 300 mentioned up thread.
gooselee likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Update, rented here a few weeks ago and the selection was rather poor, especially on an LCAR reservation. Pick a color Chrysler 300 or a mini SUV basically. Line at the counter was long and then computers were down upon return. Not Hertz's best showing.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:41 pm

Good evening all!

Going to be using Hertz for the first time ever and have some questions. I usually use Alamo/Enterprise but the rates were way to much for the week I requested.

Anywho, I booked an intermediate elite SUV (H4) for next month and paid prepay. I signed up for gold rewards as well. Just wondering what I can expect? My reservation does say "customer not registered for gold service at location". Can anyone explain what this means?

Thanks
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: National EE, Avis PP
Originally Posted by peepzlolo
Good evening all!

Going to be using Hertz for the first time ever and have some questions. I usually use Alamo/Enterprise but the rates were way to much for the week I requested.

Anywho, I booked an intermediate elite SUV (H4) for next month and paid prepay. I signed up for gold rewards as well. Just wondering what I can expect? My reservation does say "customer not registered for gold service at location". Can anyone explain what this means?

Thanks

First time you rent, you need to be registered for Gold Service, so swing by the counter and they'll get the filing in order.

As for the possible choices they're as follows:
Intermediate Elite SUV (H4/JFDR, Prestige)
BMW X3
Cadillac XT4
Infiniti QX50
Mercedes-Benz GLC
Range Rover Evoque
Volvo XC60
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:56 pm

Thanks for that info. Would like either the range Rover or a QX50 but not holding my breath for either. Just wondering if anyone has been there recently and got a good look at what JAX has for the H4 class.

Last edited by peepzlolo; Jan 28, 2020 at 10:29 am
Old Jan 27, 2020, 6:45 pm

I picked up an H4 from JAX today. They gave me a base model MB GLC but I saw an Evoque and a few Cadillac XT4s in the lot.

I've been generally unimpressed with the cars they carry in this class because they tend to be the base models without the safety and convenience features that you get with other "less prestigious" brands. The GLC they gave me didn't even have android auto, keyless entry or blind spot monitoring. I only rented this class because it was about the same price as standard SUVs (SWAR/FWAR/IFAR) when I made my reservation.

Last edited by zekelion; Jan 28, 2020 at 5:59 am Reason: spelling
Old Jan 28, 2020, 10:38 am

Nice to know they have a few models from that class instead of just having one where the only other option you have is color choice. Hopefully I get lucky next month.

I've rented from the same class at Enterprise/Alamo and they too have only the base models available. It truly is sad that a 35k Ford Fusion has better standard features than a 45k Mercedes. You really are paying for the name.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 5:58 pm

P.S. They didn't have PC/5*/Gold ultimate choice sections at this location and the car rental area was relatively chaotic. They're doing some sort of renovation in the garage, so that may explain why things were disorganized.
gooselee likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zekelion
P.S. They didn't have PC/5*/Gold ultimate choice sections at this location and the car rental area was relatively chaotic. They're doing some sort of renovation in the garage, so that may explain why things were disorganized.
My experience last summer was counter service only and agents who didn't seem to understand that people might reserve anything other than a midsize car. Be prepared to show your reservation and firmly demand that you receive the vehicle class you reserved, or a refund for a downgrade.

In years and years of renting cars across all kinds of locations and companies, this place ranked in my bottom 3 experiences. It is the only place where the service was poor enough that I lodged a written complaint beyond the usual post-rental surveys, and subsequently had it escalated to the point where I received a full refund plus a good-as-cash voucher toward a future rental.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 11:18 am

Renting from JAX in a couple of weeks. Always wanted to drive a pick-up (from UK and only the builders and farmers have them here). Finally got a chance as it is just me and the little cost centre on this trip. O6 and S are very similar in price as the T4 I was going to rent. Will Group S be a more luxurious pick-up or is it just bigger? Any advice on which one to go for if there is more than one available?

Also does anyone know if JAX is like MCO - i.e. choose from a row of cars or is the car pre-selected?

Thank you!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 2, 2020 at 11:27 am Reason: moved into existing thread for this location
Old Feb 2, 2020, 11:36 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I've not seen that many O6 trucks at Hertz stations; they are a little (but not a lot) smaller than the full-size S pickups, have a slightly lower stance, and smaller engines (V-6 or inlines). The full-size are most likely going to be V-8 and I've seen some decent mid- and top-level trims out there. There's certainly more variety in the full-size fleet and they are all pretty good choices (as opposed to the O6 Nissan Frontier, which, although somewhat rare, is a dog of a vehicle).

JAX is not an Ultimate Choice location.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I've not seen that many O6 trucks at Hertz stations; they are a little (but not a lot) smaller than the full-size S pickups, have a slightly lower stance, and smaller engines (V-6 or inlines). The full-size are most likely going to be V-8 and I've seen some decent mid- and top-level trims out there. There's certainly more variety in the full-size fleet and they are all pretty good choices (as opposed to the O6 Nissan Frontier, which, although somewhat rare, is a dog of a vehicle).

JAX is not an Ultimate Choice location.
Thank you for the reply. Sounds like S group truck is the way to go.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 11:59 pm

Just picked up tonight around 1045pm. What a lovely experience with Hertz. Definitely going to use them again in the future. The desk agent was great. She signed me up for gold service since this is my first time with them. Booked an H4 and was told they don't have any land Rover evoques. She stated it was a "rare" car. Go figure. She said she had a 2020 QX60 with 2k miles, a Me/Be A220 or a 2019 740i(O6) with 15k. Took the BMW as it was loaded with a lot more features than the other two. She said no extra charge whatsoever since she said in her words "everyone deserves something nice once in a while"

Completely forget to add this but on the lot were the usual suspects. Nissan's/Chevy's/Hyundai's. Some notables were a Q60, and a CLA 45 AMG that was just parked by an attendant. Was so tempted to take that one but only one headlight was working. Even he was confused about that. I did see an evoque but it was an older model and looked beat up. Someone else ran with it. To each their own I guess.

Last edited by jason8612; Feb 22, 2020 at 5:12 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.