Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at OGG (Maui); What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at OGG (Maui); What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2019, 11:54 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

The consolidated facility opened on May 15. The only hiccup was the tram became a little overcrowded on the first day. Growing pains.

The good news is that Hertz now offers Ultimate Choice at OGG.
Old May 18, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport, Starwood, Marriott, HRC
Yes, returns went relatively smoothly on day one, but the operators were still learning about the trams (the tram needs to pull away before the disembarked passengers can walk across, so folks running late will be stressed at the safety barrier interlock until it all gets a little more slick.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:19 am

Chances of finding a Convertible in the PC section here?

What kind of cars did they have?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
Anyone seen minivans in the PC section of Ultimate Choice?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:06 pm

I had my first rental using the new Consolidated Car Rental Center (ConRAC). It is a light-years better experience.

My flight was late, so I was in a hurry and didn't have time to do a deep study.

At 2 pm, the Gold, 5* and PC Ultimate Choice areas were all fully stocked. Lots of Hyundais, Nissans and Chevys. There were midsize SUVs in both 5* and PC. I didn't see any minivans. I chose an Infiniti Q50 with 9K from PC. There were also a few Impalas.

I didn't get a chance to check out the Upgrade Area.

There were lines out the door for non-express customers at Hertz and National.

There was only one Hertz exit lane open, so it took about 10 minutes to get on my way.

Pro tip: Hertz is on the same level as the tram when you arrive. The fastest way to Ultimate Choice is to walk to the right (away from the Hertz counter on the left) to the end of the building and walk behind to the Hertz section of the parking lot. The Ultimate Choice areas are clearly signed.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:21 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Arrived yesterday (Friday) around 1:30 pm. 5* and PC were both fully-stocked with roughly the same stock. The PC side had mostly Chevy Impala Premiums, a Ford Explorer, and a 2018 G4 Infiniti Q50 3.0t AWD with 12,000 miles on the odometer; guess what I took?

Originally Posted by qisu
Anyone seen minivans in the PC section of Ultimate Choice?
There was a Grand Caravan and Pacifica in the PC section as well.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 25, 2019 at 5:42 am
Old Sep 15, 2019, 12:25 am

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian

There was a Grand Caravan and Pacifica in the PC section as well.
Thanks FlyinHawaiian! We ended up renting a minivan (Grand Caravans only) from Alamo.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 6:10 pm

Just rented in OGG. Both PC and 5* were stocked with 10 cars each. Selection in PC was not as good as I had hoped. I wish they allocated more than 10 spots for the section. Mostly Impalas, One Ford Taurus, One Caravan, One Inifiniti Q50 and One Chrysler 300. Was hoping for some better selection, maybe an SUV like I've seen in many at other airports with PC.

Took the Infiniti Q50 and regretted it. This is absolutely not a luxury car. Did not have built-in navigation or SiriusXM. The two-screen display looked like it was designed 10 years ago. Trunk space is abysmal as it inexplicably narrows inward due to poor wheel well design and results in a total trunk volume that's 2/3rds of most luxury sedans. Don't get it if you are traveling with family as you won't be able to fit in any reasonable amount of luggage. True MPG is 21.5, way worse that other comparable luxury sedans.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 7:31 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Sirius/XM isn’t available in Hawaii; might I suggest KPOA 93.5?
dayone likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: Delta
What kind of car should one consider in Maui? A convertible or a Jeep? Any areas that require 4 wheel driving for an average tourist exploring? I think a luxury convertible would be wasted if the speed limit is 55 MPH
Old Oct 4, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by Hikmer01
What kind of car should one consider in Maui? A convertible or a Jeep? Any areas that require 4 wheel driving for an average tourist exploring? I think a luxury convertible would be wasted if the speed limit is 55 MPH
I drive a sports car at home, so I do appreciate a nimble vehicle. However, I found this to be a waste on Maui as the faster areas have a relatively low speed limit (35 - 45). If you're planning on the Road to Hana the smaller the vehicle the better because it is an extremely small road. If you're doing the Road to Hana or the entire east loop I would recommend a vehicle with high ground clearance.

I rented a Chevy Camaro SS + Brembo and nearly got stuck in Hana.

YMMV
Boraxo likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Hikmer01
What kind of car should one consider in Maui? A convertible or a Jeep?
A Jeep in Hawaii seems like a good idea until you rent one. I'm not a fan of convertibles either, but I realize that's a YMMV. Get a luxury car or SUV if you're not going to Hana or a small SUV if you are.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by dayone
A Jeep in Hawaii seems like a good idea until you rent one. I'm not a fan of convertibles either, but I realize that's a YMMV. Get a luxury car or SUV if you're not going to Hana or a small SUV if you are.
Correct. Also keep in mind that if you drive to Hana with luggage you will be better off with a trunk than an exposed luggage compartment. Parking lots along the Road are notorious for vehicle break-ins as the thieves know that people will stop to hike for an hour, etc. So I recommend a sedan with a trunk if you plan to travel anywhere with your luggage (except to/from airport).
Old Oct 7, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Correct. Also keep in mind that if you drive to Hana with luggage you will be better off with a trunk than an exposed luggage compartment. Parking lots along the Road are notorious for vehicle break-ins as the thieves know that people will stop to hike for an hour, etc. So I recommend a sedan with a trunk if you plan to travel anywhere with your luggage (except to/from airport).
This is very true. We witnessed the aftermath of 2 break-ins after returning from RTH excursions.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 5:21 pm

This is controversial advice, but I follow it when I'm in Hawaii:

Lots of locals leave their car doors unlocked and windows open if they don’t have anything to steal inside. It’s unlikely a thief will go through the effort to steal your car; they just want an easy score. If they see your windows open and doors unlocked, they’ll assume you don’t have anything valuable inside. Many thieves will assume the owner of the car is local and will leave it alone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.