Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Questions regarding specific locations (eg, "I am Renting From XXX; What Might I Get?") may be moved to specific/dedicated threads for that location. All major airport codes may be searched using FlyerTalk's search engine; otherwise, words in " " quotation marks will bypass the character limit filter.

Overview of Service and List of Existing and Future Airport Locations: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...ate_choice.jsp

Am I Eligible? Is My Vehicle Eligible?

Q. Who can use Ultimate Choice?
Any member of the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program is eligible to use Ultimate Choice. The areas you can select from depend on your status in the program (President's Circle, Five Star, or Gold).

Q. What is the minimum booking class to be eligible to freely select cars from Ultimate Choice?
A. You can book anything other than an Economy (A), Compact (B), or Manager's Special (EXAR) vehicle, and be eligible for Ultimate Choice.

Q. What if I book a lower class such as Economy or Compact or Manager's Special?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class (or higher, as a complimentary upgrade) in a marked space.

Q. What happens if I book a Economy or Compact but pick a higher-class car from Ultimate Choice?
A. You will likely be asked to pay the midsize rental rate by the gate agent.

Q. What if I book a Fullsize car but find a lower class car in Ultimate Choice that I like better?
A. You may chose to take it, but you will pay the originally-booked Fullsize rate.

Q. What if I book a Adrenaline/Electric/Hybrid/Luxury/Prestige car or a Minivan/Truck/SUV?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class in a marked space. You can either accept it or chose a car from Ultimate Choice.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for one-way rentals?
A. Yes.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for award rentals?
A. Yes, provided the reservation is for a mid-size car or higher.

Print Wikipost

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:54 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by Siepie250
I'm reading this topic and see that Ultimate Choice sometimes offers Mustang GT and other cars with an age limit. I booked a standard sport (D2) as a PC member but first time renting with Hertz as a 20 year old.

Could they offer me to pick from the Ultimate Choice and would I be able to take a Mustang GT if I'm lucky enough that they have one even though I'm not 25?
First off, if you booked a Standard Sport (D2), then you are going to be assigned a vehicle. You don't necessarily need to take that vehicle--you can pick something from the UC section instead, which may or may not be better than what you were assigned, but that depend on how you hit it in terms of availability/selection when you arrive.

The question on whether you can rent a Mustang GT or similar as a 20-year old is separate and it doesn't really depend on reserving an SSAR or picking from UC. The answer there is that it really depends on the gate agent. It's possible they may assign you a GT for example, but then when you try to leave the lot, the gate agent may turn you away and tell you that you aren't eligible and you'll have to go and pick something else. The rules are kind of fuzzy in this area and it's really up to local management. I've seen under 25 year olds rent things like Jaguars, Mercedes and GT Convertibles with UC and I've seen them turned away when trying to exit with an Infiniti Q50. No harm in trying, but it's definitely a YMMV situation based on who's in the booth at the time and how picky they want to be.
m907 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 9:41 am

AutoSlash is spot on, and I want to add that the chances of a Mustang GT being available in Ultimate Choice are almost zero. You'd face the same problem of getting through the gate agent.

When I was under 25 I got through with a Cadillac Escalade (MSRP $75,000) found in PC at one location, but was refused the Mercedes C-Class (MSRP $40,000) at another.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by m907
AutoSlash is spot on, and I want to add that the chances of a Mustang GT being available in Ultimate Choice are almost zero.
My expierience has been that you actually have a pretty good shot of getting a high performance sports car as long as:
1) the car is a convertible AND
2) you are in some place like Minneapolis or Detroit AND
3) it is the middle of January AND
4) it is snowing
Auto Enthusiast and m907 like this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 10:01 am

That is cool!

AutoSlash is spot on, and I want to add that the chances of a Mustang GT being available in Ultimate Choice are almost zero. You'd face the same problem of getting through the gate agent.

When I was under 25 I got through with a Cadillac Escalade (MSRP $75,000) found in PC at one location, but was refused the Mercedes C-Class (MSRP $40,000) at another.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
I could be misremembering, but either in this thread or another, someone said that an u25 PC member (I believe) had their status removed and banned from the program due to taking cars from the PC lot which they should not have been able to rent due to their age
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 11:58 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

I was really lucky in Vegas. Got a Mustang GT Premium from UC there with like 500 miles on the odo. I had a blast, but my wife not so much. I think she got tired of me driving around town in track mode all the time and having her neck snapped back every time the light turned green.
mew24680, ChevyCruze, m907 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
First off, if you booked a Standard Sport (D2), then you are going to be assigned a vehicle. You don't necessarily need to take that vehicle--you can pick something from the UC section instead, which may or may not be better than what you were assigned, but that depend on how you hit it in terms of availability/selection when you arrive.

The question on whether you can rent a Mustang GT or similar as a 20-year old is separate and it doesn't really depend on reserving an SSAR or picking from UC. The answer there is that it really depends on the gate agent. It's possible they may assign you a GT for example, but then when you try to leave the lot, the gate agent may turn you away and tell you that you aren't eligible and you'll have to go and pick something else. The rules are kind of fuzzy in this area and it's really up to local management. I've seen under 25 year olds rent things like Jaguars, Mercedes and GT Convertibles with UC and I've seen them turned away when trying to exit with an Infiniti Q50. No harm in trying, but it's definitely a YMMV situation based on who's in the booth at the time and how picky they want to be.
Alright, I'll be getting it from SFO on the 24th around 1 PM so I'll just have a look then and see what is available and hope for the best.

I asked them if they could provide a mustang and they added it to the reservation so really wondering if that will help. Regardless I'll have a good time anyway.
Thanks for the good anwsers!
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 2:08 pm

I'm so confused. Do they now park cars in different sections (President's Club, Five Star, Gold, etc) based on the car's class?

I didn't rent much from Hertz in 2017 and 2018, maybe just once a year. I have some sort of Gold Plus status, which is really no status. I don't have elite airline or fancy credit cards.

I reserved a full sized and expected a Chevrolet Malibu or similar. I think the board showed my name and then "Five Star" but I'm not sure. A employee walking around said to go pick any car in my section that was listed next to my name on the boards (I think it said "Five Star"). In that section, there was a Malibu, which I picked. There were two Chevrolet Cruzes, which are smaller cars. If I wanted a smaller car, I would have reserved it and paid a slightly lower rate. Does this mean it's a free for all and some people might reserve a small car then choose a big car?

Last edited by A318neo; Dec 12, 2019 at 2:14 pm
Old Dec 12, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Siepie250
I'm reading this topic and see that Ultimate Choice sometimes offers Mustang GT and other cars with an age limit. I booked a standard sport (D2) as a PC member but first time renting with Hertz as a 20 year old.

Could they offer me to pick from the Ultimate Choice and would I be able to take a Mustang GT if I'm lucky enough that they have one even though I'm not 25?
As a 21 year old PC member I've received a BMW 530i, an Escalade, and recently a SS2 Camaro from Ultimate Choice. In my experience, there is no system prompt (or the agents don't look too closely) to alert them when you take a car that you're not eligible for in Ultimate Choice.

With that being said, front desk employees' system will prompt them (which happened when I tried to swap a vehicle for something in UC that I was not eligible). This also happened when I reserved a CTS (and the rate came out cheaper than a standard luxury).

So, pretty much take whatever you want from UC and a gate agent is unlikely to say something. I've always chosen the busiest one so they don't look too closely.

If anyone has ever tried this with a premium upgrade next to the UC section, I'd really like to hear their experience. I've wanted to try that for a while, but have never got around to it.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by A318neo
Does this mean it's a free for all and some people might reserve a small car then choose a big car?
Exactly.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 10:44 pm

how can a gate agent tell if the renter picked an Escalade from PC or paid upgrade spot when it's randomly found in both sections?
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ffly45
how can a gate agent tell if the renter picked an Escalade from PC or paid upgrade spot when it's randomly found in both sections?
Typically when a car is parked in the slot, it is updated in the system. On rare occasions when I've picked up a car before it was fully parked in a spot, I've had to confirm where I got the car from with the attendant at the exit gate.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by mdbe
Typically when a car is parked in the slot, it is updated in the system. On rare occasions when I've picked up a car before it was fully parked in a spot, I've had to confirm where I got the car from with the attendant at the exit gate.
thanks. does anyone know if National does it the same way as well, where their system shows which slot it was parked in?
because in a couple of instances the gate agent asked me where the car had been parked when i picked up from the aisle, and i'd have thought they should already know it from their system.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by mdbe
And sometimes their system is wrong, which you find out when you get charged extra for a car that was on the aisle.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:11 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
Yeah me too. Same with them telling me those special Hertz Z06 or Camaros would be covered. I wouldn't take the pickup truck anyway since I know confirmed I can get from PC lot.
Originally Posted by gruntermen
Maybe I am just a bit paranoid but I would want that in writing before I relied on the rep's assurances.
I guess rep was right concerning pick up trucks. I noticed CSR benefits were posted, updated 11/01/2019 (previously it was from like Oct 2018 (emphasis added). I'm glad this is in writing now. I might be going to Vegas in March and possibly driving to SLC and would prefer an AWD or 4x4
​​​​from PC. A few times, the only vehicle I've seen in PC like this was a pick up truck and now I can choose that and be covered.

What Vehicles Are Not Covered?
Certain vehicles are not covered by this benefit, including: antique
cars (cars over twenty (20) years old or that have not been
manufactured for ten (10) years or more), cargo vans, vehicles
with open cargo beds, trucks, (other than pick-ups), motorcycles,
mopeds, motorbikes, limousines, and recreational vehicles and
passenger vans with seating for more than nine (9) people,
including the driver (passenger vans with seating for nine (9) or
less, including the driver, are covered)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.