Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Questions regarding specific locations (eg, "I am Renting From XXX; What Might I Get?") may be moved to specific/dedicated threads for that location. All major airport codes may be searched using FlyerTalk's search engine; otherwise, words in " " quotation marks will bypass the character limit filter.

Overview of Service and List of Existing and Future Airport Locations: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...ate_choice.jsp

Am I Eligible? Is My Vehicle Eligible?

Q. Who can use Ultimate Choice?
Any member of the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program is eligible to use Ultimate Choice. The areas you can select from depend on your status in the program (President's Circle, Five Star, or Gold).

Q. What is the minimum booking class to be eligible to freely select cars from Ultimate Choice?
A. You can book anything other than an Economy (A), Compact (B), or Manager's Special (EXAR) vehicle, and be eligible for Ultimate Choice.

Q. What if I book a lower class such as Economy or Compact or Manager's Special?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class (or higher, as a complimentary upgrade) in a marked space.

Q. What happens if I book a Economy or Compact but pick a higher-class car from Ultimate Choice?
A. You will likely be asked to pay the midsize rental rate by the gate agent.

Q. What if I book a Fullsize car but find a lower class car in Ultimate Choice that I like better?
A. You may chose to take it, but you will pay the originally-booked Fullsize rate.

Q. What if I book a Adrenaline/Electric/Hybrid/Luxury/Prestige car or a Minivan/Truck/SUV?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class in a marked space. You can either accept it or chose a car from Ultimate Choice.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for one-way rentals?
A. Yes.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for award rentals?
A. Yes, provided the reservation is for a mid-size car or higher.

Print Wikipost

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2018, 4:23 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by misterfuss
I have an upcoming reservation for a compact car in Boston/Logan Airport and I am 5 star member. According to https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/ememb...umGoldbenefits :
One-car-class upgrade. (Subject to availability.) **Five Star: Subject to availability at participating locations in the U.S., Canada and select European locations. Maximum upgrade is to a full sized class vehicle with a minimum reserved compact vehicle.

I rented a car at Boston/Logan Airport last December and got a Carfirmation that directed me to the non-Gold/5* area to pick up my car. I had my choice of 3 Nissan Versas and no other car was in the compact area. I just picked one because I had arrived late and just wanted to get on the road.

My confirmation says that I will be getting Gold Canopy service. For my next rental, should I expect to be directed to the non-Gold/5* area again? (That kinda irritates me since I have 5* status to be directed away from the loyalty customer area.) If so, should I check in with an employee to see if there is an upgrade available? (Which somewhat defeats the benefit of being able to bypass the counter.) Or, can I select a mid-size if one is available? (And would I do that from the non-Gold/5* area or the "All other valued customers" area?

Thanks,
misterfuss
There is no "non-Gold/5* area". The only way to be a 5* member is to be a Gold member. Here are the levels:

Hertz Gold
Hertz Gold 5*
Hertz Gold Presidents Circle
Hertz Platinum

You were directed to the correct area for Ultimate Choice. The regular "Gold" area is a step below 5*. As a 5* member, if you book an intermediate or higher, you can select from the regular Gold area -or- 5*.

Hope this helps to clarify things.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
There is no "non-Gold/5* area". The only way to be a 5* member is to be a Gold member. Here are the levels:

Hertz Gold
Hertz Gold 5*
Hertz Platinum

You were directed to the correct area for Ultimate Choice. The regular "Gold" area is a step below 5*. As a 5* member, if you book an intermediate or higher, you can select from the regular Gold area -or- 5*.

Thak you Autoslash for the correct names of the tiers at Hertz. I was confusing with Avis' name inadvertently. I've corrected my prior posts
Old Jul 7, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold

Hertz Gold
Hertz Gold 5*
Hertz Platinum

Thank you for your response. I have been a Gold for about 20 years. I became a Hertz Gold 5* last year based on a credit card affiliation and it was reflected in my profile before I made the reservation. I was able to retrieve my Carfirmation from my email and I see that I reserved a Compact car which would entitle me to to an upgrade if one were available based on the Hertz benefits for a Gold 5* renting a compact car or larger. I was definitely directed to Zone 3 Section which was to the far left. I guess even though I was a Gold 5* that I will be directed to the non-Gold/Gold 5* area (my name for it) if I choose to reserve a compact model car and that there will be no upgrade. At least I can take solace in being one the "All other valued customers."

Last edited by misterfuss; Jul 7, 2018 at 7:09 pm Reason: add text and align picture
Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:37 pm

Had you gone to the counter/Gold booth, they probably would have agreed to upgrade you to an intermediate (a one class upgrade). While the old rules still technically apply at UC locations, the reality is that everything is geared to UC now, so if you want to have the best selection, book an intermediate. If you book a compact, it's going to be a manual process for better or worse, and they can always pull the whole "subject to availability" BS, so not 100% guaranteed (unlike for President's Circle members).
Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:46 pm

Had you gone to the counter/Gold booth, they probably would have agreed to upgrade you to an intermediate (a one class upgrade). While the old rules still technically apply at UC locations, the reality is that everything is geared to UC now, so if you want to have the best selection, book an intermediate. If you book a compact, it's going to be a manual process for better or worse, and they can always pull the whole "subject to availability" BS, so not 100% guaranteed (unlike for President's Circle members).
Thanks for your reply. I definitely understand the upgrade is subject to availability, but another thing that irked me was that I was sent to far end of the garage to near empty Section 3 after walking near Gold 5* and through President's Circle areas. I just changed my next reservation so that it is a mid-size. (BTW, my reservation was via a quote from your website.)
Old Jul 7, 2018, 8:15 pm

Thanks for your reply. I definitely understand the upgrade is subject to availability, but another thing that irked me was that I was sent to far end of the garage to near empty Section 3 after walking near Gold 5* and through President's Circle areas. I just changed my next reservation so that it is a mid-size. (BTW, my reservation was via a quote from your website.)
Yes, we can understand how this could be bothersome. It's clear that Hertz wants folks to take advantage of their new Ultimate Choice service, and frankly being 5* or PC definitely provides significantly more value than in pre-UC days. I think you were smart to switch your upcoming reservation, and we appreciate you using us to book as well. Don't forget to enter your new reservation for tracking using the link below so we can notify you if we find any better deals!
misterfuss likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
In this situation (5* customer reserves a compact at a UC location), the customer should be told to pick anything from area 2 (intermediate) or area 3 (compact). Surprised that isn't how it worked.

Last edited by cestmoi123; Jul 10, 2018 at 9:19 am Reason: meant to type should, not would
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
In this situation (5* customer reserves a compact at a UC location), the customer would be told to pick anything from area 2 (intermediate) or area 3 (compact). Surprised that isn't how it worked.
It's the way it should work, but in practice, Hertz's communication to folks booking anything less than a midsize (intermediate) at a UC location is ambiguous at best. In practice, the OP could have just pulled a midsize and they would not have charged an upgrade fee, but the gate agent might have to be reminded about the benefit which is kind of annoying.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:43 pm

Yes, we can understand how this could be bothersome. It's clear that Hertz wants folks to take advantage of their new Ultimate Choice service, and frankly being 5* or PC definitely provides significantly more value than in pre-UC days. I think you were smart to switch your upcoming reservation, and we appreciate you using us to book as well. Don't forget to enter your new reservation for tracking using the link below so we can notify you if we find any better deals!
I just got back from my trip and was able to select a 2018 Dodge Challenger from the 5* area that had 4500 miles on it. Although my prudent self thought I should choose a more practical car, I really enjoyed the Challenger! I felt it was quite an upgrade, so I don't regret booking the intermediate car to have the opportunity to choose a better vehicle.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:38 am

I just got back from my trip and was able to select a 2018 Dodge Challenger from the 5* area that had 4500 miles on it. Although my prudent self thought I should choose a more practical car, I really enjoyed the Challenger! I felt it was quite an upgrade, so I don't regret booking the intermediate car to have the opportunity to choose a better vehicle.
Did it have a backup camera? The Challengers in the AVIS fleet lack backup cameras and it drives me crazy every time AVIS assigns me a Challenger and I get in and find out yep another MOPAR without a backup camera.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by kmersh
Did it have a backup camera? The Challengers in the AVIS fleet lack backup cameras and it drives me crazy every time AVIS assigns me a Challenger and I get in and find out yep another MOPAR without a backup camera.
Yes. The Challenger I had did have a backup camera. Since this car is much larger than I am used to it would have been very difficult to park without it.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:21 am

I'm planning on walking the lot (first time renting from an airport location as PC) for a good car -- any tips on what to do with the luggage?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:24 am
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by jellybean007
I'm planning on walking the lot (first time renting from an airport location as PC) for a good car -- any tips on what to do with the luggage?
I always put it in my original car... then move it when i find a better one...
jackal and AutoSlash like this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by t1c
I always put it in my original car... then move it when i find a better one...
Yes, agreed. Just be sure to pocket the keys so someone doesn't drive off with your luggage.

Also, be sure not to leave the lot with an extra setup of keys in your pocket. I've seen that happen before.
jackal and Flying Machine like this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:28 am

Awesome. Thanks for the replies. Will definitely be doing that tonight. I'm a bit excited lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.