Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hertz Accident and Insurance" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Hertz Accident and Insurance" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
I was hit and run by a drunk driver a few years back in a Hertz rental. Luckily, no injuries. My rental car was parked when it was side swiped.

After filing a police report, I drove it to the airport in the middle of the night, filled out forms, and they swapped the car for a replacement on the same contract.

Sure, it took some time, but all things considered the process was pretty painless and hassle free.

My personal auto insurance paid primary, my credit card covered the deductible, and I never heard from anyone about it.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by themicah
My guess is that the card insurance actually negotiated the claim with Hertz and they just didn't tell you. In my case I didn't even get a copy of the claim until after Chase had already started negotiating it with Hertz. Chase actually negotiated a written legal release with Hertz behind the scenes that released me as well as Hertz. If Chase and Hertz had come to a settlement I probably wouldn't have even known about that release (they would have just told me it was done). But in my case, because I had to kick something in to bridge the gap, Hertz wouldn't sign the release until I paid my share.

Not all insurers will get a written release, though. Some will just pay the portion they cover and leave you holding the bag on the rest of it without even getting your permission.
Ahh yeah that makes perfect sense. Thanks for explaining this to me, now I won't have to wonder anymore
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:10 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hert...-accident.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hert...-accident.html

And several other older threads.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
i also had a accident today. Rented from LAS but involved in crash/accident in LA. was supposed to return the car in LAS next week. Luckily no body injuries and everyone just in shock and just some muscle pain.
It was my fault and i have LDW and LIS because i am a renter from UK. Called 911 and hertz straightaway. Other call wasn't totalled and just front side damage but unable to be driven anymore.
However the police demanded that i moved the car as it was on a red line (really tough cop). Then while moving the car the whole front fell off and its total loss. Then he demanded their own towtruck driver takes it to their impound. So then hertz said it might take 3-5 days before they can get it.

So now i am without a car and no clue if they give me a replacement and if i have to pay something. And if their LAX store will give me a new car that i can drive to vegas and/or if i then need to pay one-way-fees and when i will get one. Wish there was more info available online about this stuff indeed. Will try to contact them tomorrow to see if more info is known. And hopefully the insurances will cover all. Stressfull enough to involved in a heavy accident and then even more not knowing what's going to happen.

Anyone know if they are good in further communication after accidents? Do i call the emergency line again with a case nr or the local hertz that will come pick up the car at some point?
The emergency line also said its up to the local store if they give you a new car or not. I am Pres. circle and never had issue before so hoping they forgive me...
Old Oct 16, 2019, 9:34 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by itisme
i also had a accident today. Rented from LAS but involved in crash/accident in LA. was supposed to return the car in LAS next week. Luckily no body injuries and everyone just in shock and just some muscle pain.
It was my fault and i have LDW and LIS because i am a renter from UK. Called 911 and hertz straightaway. Other call wasn't totalled and just front side damage but unable to be driven anymore.
However the police demanded that i moved the car as it was on a red line (really tough cop). Then while moving the car the whole front fell off and its total loss. Then he demanded their own towtruck driver takes it to their impound. So then hertz said it might take 3-5 days before they can get it.

So now i am without a car and no clue if they give me a replacement and if i have to pay something. And if their LAX store will give me a new car that i can drive to vegas and/or if i then need to pay one-way-fees and when i will get one. Wish there was more info available online about this stuff indeed. Will try to contact them tomorrow to see if more info is known. And hopefully the insurances will cover all. Stressfull enough to involved in a heavy accident and then even more not knowing what's going to happen.

Anyone know if they are good in further communication after accidents? Do i call the emergency line again with a case nr or the local hertz that will come pick up the car at some point?
The emergency line also said its up to the local store if they give you a new car or not. I am Pres. circle and never had issue before so hoping they forgive me...
Sorry to hear about your accident. If you have LDW & LIS you should be fine and likely won't have any out-of-pocket costs. The only thing could be a tow to get the car back to LAS, which could be quite expensive, but our guess is that with LDW included, there's a good chance they won't charge you.

Your best bet is to go into the LAX location tomorrow and speak with a manager. Be sure to have your rental contract handy. Ask them whatever questions you have and then politely ask if it would be possible to pick up another car for the remainder of your trip. Have a backup reservation with another company ready just in case they say no. The locations in/around are pretty close. You could probably walk to many of them, but failing that, Uber/Lyft is always an option.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:48 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC

Good luck getting the car back from the tow truck’s impound lot. This was a huge mistake. You should have towed the vehicle to a Hertz location directly. The impound lot is likely privately owned charging $100+ per day for storage, and you can be sure Hertz won’t be paying for it. Get it out of their ASAP. There shouldn’t be a reason why you can’t exchange the car at a location mid rental, damaged or not.
Auto Enthusiast and m907 like this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum and Marriott Platinum Elite
Hairline windshield crack

Anyone know the answer to this scenario? Rented a car over the weekend. Front windshield had a small hairline crack. It was below the steering column and I didn't even notice it until I dropped off the vehicle and the hertz guy pointed it out to me. I used AmEx personal platinum for the rental charge. Will hertz charge me later for the windshield? And if they do will AmEx cover this damage?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DeltaAddict
Anyone know the answer to this scenario? Rented a car over the weekend. Front windshield had a small hairline crack. It was below the steering column and I didn't even notice it until I dropped off the vehicle and the hertz guy pointed it out to me. I used AmEx personal platinum for the rental charge. Will hertz charge me later for the windshield? And if they do will AmEx cover this damage?
If the damage was found on return, I expect that the location will charge for the damage

Whether American Express will cover it depends on what card you have from which country
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum and Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If the damage was found on return, I expect that the location will charge for the damage

Whether American Express will cover it depends on what card you have from which country
Personal platinum USA
Old Oct 24, 2019, 11:21 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DeltaAddict
Personal platinum USA
AMEX is secondary coverage to your own personal insurance. You can file a claim with AMEX, but I am confident they will ask about your personal insurance coverage to see if you filed a claim through your personal insurance first.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:57 pm

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
It was my fault and i have LDW and LIS because i am a renter from UK. Called 911 and hertz straightaway. Other car wasn't totalled and just front side damage but unable to be driven anymore.

Update on this months later. Only ever got contacted ONCE by e-mail by hertz insurance company. Asked me to answer a few questions which i did. After that never ever heard from them again/ not got charged for anything or heard anything back. So it's all good i guess. Just as a reference for other EU people who have all insurances included . Also after a day or 2 i just called another airport location and after some back and forth and filling in a accident report they just handed me a new car for the rest of the trip. Luckily i never got charged for the towing and storage costs as when i visited their office to pick some items up the charges there are crazy high!
Old Dec 3, 2021, 8:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Hi All,

I had a Hertz rental that I paid for with my (US) Amex Platinum. I had a flat tire and Hertz charged me $75 to have triple A come out and fix it. Will Amex cover this cost under their car rental insurance? Do I jsut need to file a claim with them?
Old Dec 4, 2021, 4:21 am

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Hi All,

I had a Hertz rental that I paid for with my (US) Amex Platinum. I had a flat tire and Hertz charged me $75 to have triple A come out and fix it. Will Amex cover this cost under their car rental insurance? Do I jsut need to file a claim with them?
Probably not covered by your credit card.

But it should be covered if you have emergency roadside service from your personal auto insurance, or if you are a member of AAA or another auto club.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 11:51 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Hi All,

Do you have the "real" car rental insurance where they charge you a fee for every rental? If so, I have had really good success with them.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 3:30 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Flat tires are not typically covered under most car rental insurance claims. You may find this article from our blog helpful.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.