Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hertz Accident and Insurance" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Hertz Accident and Insurance" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Appreciate all the comments. They were along the lines of what I was expecting (though not what I wanted to hear). I guess I'll see how it pans out, but I was also interested in the process of how this works. Especially since they have the car, and feels like the process is tilted in their favor - as they are presumably judge, jury and executioner, so to speak, without me having a say other then the one statement on the incident report. I'll see when claims calls.

Originally Posted by azepine00
Twice lax agents claimed we caused damage - once windshield chip another some scrape and one other time they charged us for quarter tank of gas. We routinely rent to/from lax as this is covered by corporate rate for a rather short 30 mi ride and the likelihood of us causing damage is low (let alone using quarter tank of gas. They were hostile and dismissive. Of course it is imposdible to take pics or check thoroughly if it is dark outside.

Smth changed in lax management and customer service recently so i would be very cautious with rentals there.
Interesting to hear this. I've rented from LAX before, and didn't want to do it again, based on a severe lack of customer service. Granted that I don't rent a ton....typically probably 2-4 times a year, mostly weekends, but I have never been treated so poorly on picking up a car in my life. Typically, I use Hertz though..especially as AAA and traveling with kids, the free car seat is typically a huge savings that makes it way less expensive vs. Avis, National, etc. This time, the pick up actually went well...agents, seeing wife and I handling unhappy kids and installing car seats, even helped carry bags into the trunk for us.

Originally Posted by jim32190
The comments above are missing the point - OP didn’t notice it to be large enough to be considered damage but rather just wear and tear whereas the Hertz agent believes it to be significant enough to be damage. That’s the bottom line - not whether he’s liable or not.
Not correct. I'm not suggesting it was wear and tear. This was several white scratches around the driver side corner on the bumper. On a fairly new vehicle - it was under 5000 miles. My guess, based on seeing it, is that someone swiped the side when entering or leaving a parking spot next to me. I certainly didn't see it anytime while I had the car out, but no reason I would have, as with the kids in the back, and me typically fronting into a spot, I typically wouldn't be looking at that side...as I'd approach from the rear, buckle infant in behind the driver seat, and get in. Most of the scratches were clear around the corner and front.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
scaratches are not wear and tear, but damage

The OP stated " I probably would have noticed the damage when I picked up the car, but to be honest, I wasn't checking that closely " - that also suggests that the damage wasn't there at time of pickup and was noticeable damage
Agreed with this statement. It was definitely noticeable when I looked in the spot the agent pointed to, but hadn't generally looked around that area while driving. I didn't back into a spot at all while driving, but if I had, I bet I would have noticed it there, as it would be hard to not see approaching the car from the front.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA MM
One of the more interesting points (to me) is that Chase refuses coverage if the whole rental wasn't on the card. I would think this would apply to free days with Hertz points as well - the general scuttlebutt around here is that if you pay some fee or other with the card you will be covered. Apparently not.

Also, I checked carefully and found that my main card, via Fidelity, has no coverage if the rental exceeds 14 or 15 days (can't remember). Switched all my rentals to AmEx, as I usually rent longer than that.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
One of the more interesting points (to me) is that Chase refuses coverage if the whole rental wasn't on the card. I would think this would apply to free days with Hertz points as well - the general scuttlebutt around here is that if you pay some fee or other with the card you will be covered. Apparently not.
thst is what I just found out, too. I don’t rent a car as much as I fly. But trip cancellation/interruption on CSR is eligible so long as a portion of the cost goes on the card, so that was my thought. In fact, one trip, I was fretting whether I wa covered because I accidentally paid the airfare with the wrong card. I was told that trip interruption/cancellation was in effect because I guaranteed my hotel on the CSR, and it was part of the same trip. Never got to test out that point, but that’s what I was told

I was specifically told the only way to use points and be covered is if they were UR points. So even using Hertz points for part of a rental would invalidate any rental coverage on the CSR.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:39 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer

Also, I checked carefully and found that my main card, via Fidelity, has no coverage if the rental exceeds 14 or 15 days (can't remember). Switched all my rentals to AmEx, as I usually rent longer than that.
Chase will cover the rental so long as no other third party payment form is used. Use Hertz points and Chase? Covered. Pay with UR points? Covered. Pay with Amex points/airline miles/Thank You points and Chase card? Not covered.
jason8612 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 6:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Appreciate all the comments. They were along the lines of what I was expecting (though not what I wanted to hear). I guess I'll see how it pans out, but I was also interested in the process of how this works. Especially since they have the car, and feels like the process is tilted in their favor - as they are presumably judge, jury and executioner, so to speak, without me having a say other then the one statement on the incident report. I'll see when claims calls.
Which is really not that different to any other car accident claim. When someone caused an accident that damaged my car, I went to a garage that I was happy to use , got the quote and submitted it to the other person's imsurance company for it to pay the repairer. The other company would have liked me to use one of its 'approved' repairers, but could do no more than ask
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Alright, reporting back here with an update that...there is no update.

On the 19th, when I returned the vehicle, was informed of the damage, wrote I was unaware of it and was not involved in any incident on the form, and left, I was told that someone from Hertz claims (I think that was how they referred to the dept.) would call within 5 business days. I even called a couple of days after I returned the vehicle, and couldn’t get anyone to acknowledge the form, damage, etc, and I assumed it just hadn’t been entered. I was told then they were required to call me within that 5 day period.

My return date was Aug. 19, so if so I can correctly count (and I can....usually&#128512, we’re at 8 business days at this point. Should I assume now that they are no longer persuing this? Or should I still expect to hear from them at some point (I presume if it’s this option, probably a few days after I have completely forgot about this whole thing).
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:27 pm

^Dunno I've heard of ppl getting mailed damages forms up to 18 months after return.

If you have digital media of the car as proof, keep it handy for now, digital space is cheap.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond,United Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum,Hertz President Circle
Got into an accident

I had LDW and Liability coverage on my rental as part of my employer rate, however when I went to rent at Hertz HLE location, the agent tried to sell me more insurance which I refused stating that it was already covered. The agent somehow removed LDW from the contract without informing me..
A few weeks back I got into an accident (not my fault) and a couple of days back I got a letter from Hertz asking for 5000$ for the damages. I do not have a personal vehicle and this rental was more than a month so Chase Sapphire Reserve will not cover that. This accident took place at a private property so there was no police report. I filed a claim with the third party insurance but they denied my claim citing lack of proof.
Any suggestions whom can I contact at Hertz.
The Hertz claim co-ordinator is not willing to help nor the location from where I rented.. Both claim they cannot do anything..
Any help will be highly appreciated.. 5000 $ is too high for a fault that the agent made.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by deadly_scorpion
A few weeks back I got into an accident (not my fault)
Whose fault was it?
Old Sep 26, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Your reservation should show LDW included.

Ron.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by newfbc
Your reservation should show LDW included.
What matters is what the Rental Agreement / Rental Record shows

As far as what to do - if another person is liable and the RA shows no LDW coverage , then the OP will need to take it up with that person to claim the money out of that person - once that happens I expect that they will inform their insurer and will be easier to put claim in against the driver
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond,United Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum,Hertz President Circle
I do not have my own insurance.. I claimed damages with the other person's insurance company but they denied my claim stating that I do not have any proof that the other driver was at fault..
Not sure what to do ...
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
How was the the third-party insurance related to this incident? Also what had exactly happened?

Without the detail, your best bet is to initiate a lawsuit (not small claims) against both Hertz and the responsible party. If the rate you used included LDW without additional charges and you were truly qualified for the rate, it would sound strange that anyone would remove the LDW; and/or, there was a need to upsell.

If you were truly not at fault and you pressed the issue far enough, Hertz may simply drop the claim and recover from the responsible party.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by deadly_scorpion
I do not have my own insurance.. I claimed damages with the other person's insurance company but they denied my claim stating that I do not have any proof that the other driver was at fault..
Not sure what to do ...
You will need to contact the other driver and claim off of the driver directly

Once the other driver realises that you will pursue the matter, I suspect that the driver will refer it to the insurer with details of the accident

Did you take photographs that show that the event occurred
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:47 pm

I did take pictures but I think I will contact a lawyer tomorrow and see what could be done

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.