Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hertz Accident and Insurance" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Hertz Accident and Insurance" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:44 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Follow-Up After Accident - How Long? (UK Rental)

Wonder if anyone has any experience with this.

I had a van (UK usage - goods vehicle) hired from Hertz at LTN 5-6 weeks ago, to help move house do IKEA runs, etc, etc. Unfortunately, part-way through, I was involved in an accident. The accident was caused by a 3rd party (badly secured ladder on top of a pickup at 70mph - certainly had the adrenaline flowing) who drove off without exchanging details after learning how much damage he'd caused. As a result, the police are involved, as it's a "fail to stop". The van had its windscreen caved in and some significant dents in the pillars, so was undriveable.

I didn't buy CDW protection from Hertz, as I have annual cover (that will cover this) so I'm waiting for the damage statement to see how much I need to claim for. However, this is not forthcoming. Customer service are currently overwhelmed and won't take calls to chase existing cases. It took 2 weeks of chains of calls and messages to get the insurance documentation for the police 'producer', and I'm getting nowhere with this.

Does anyone have any experience of how this works and how long it takes? This is only the second time I've ever been involved in an accident, and the first in a hire car!
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:25 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Ha! Talk about timing. I've just had an email from solicitors working on Hertz's behalf, who are attempting to recover the CDW excess costs, on my behalf, from the third party. ^
Auto Enthusiast and TWA884 like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Should i take a video of every hotel room as well in case a property decides to charge me for some alledged damage a few months down the road?

There is a disturbing rise in reports documenting random extortion for alleged damage by rental car agencies - someone needs to slap them with meaningful fines for such business practices...
strickerj and wxman22 like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
Should i take a video of every hotel room as well in case a property decides to charge me for some alledged damage a few months down the road?

There is a disturbing rise in reports documenting random extortion for alleged damage by rental car agencies - someone needs to slap them with meaningful fines for such business practices...
When all these criminals stop working for car rental agencies and get jobs at hotels instead then yes, you need to start video taping the rooms.

Im sorry it has to be this way, and of course feel free to ignore me and not video your cars. But its a not uncommon occurance for those of us who rent a lot to encounter one of these crooks at the front end or back end of a rental. Its hilarious that when it comes time to mark the damage on pickup its “what damage? Theres no damage,” but on return its “oh damage, damage everywhere!”

This exact thing happened to me on Saturday, it was hilarious when I pulled out the video and told him this aint my first rodeo. The liar at the first agency told me he was going to mark the damage then didnt (after arguing it wasnt big enough to be marked of course.) The second guy thinks everything bigger than a pea is damage. To hell with them both. They should both be fired.

So tape, dont tape, whatever. I video my cars.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

You are presuming that the reports are true.

Bear in mind that the renter is responsible for all damage to the vehicle during the period of the rental. Doesn't matter who caused it. Many of the reports are from people who are certain that they did not hit anything or have any form of an accident. But, that does not mean that someone else did not hit their car while it was parked or that some damage went unnoticed.

Bottom line is that this is no different than your own POV. If there is a dent, you pay to have it fixed. If insurance covers it, all the better. If someone else caused the damage and you can get them or their insurance to pay, all the better. But, in the end, it is yours.

You, as a savvy consumer don't have to do anything. But, the failure to do so can have consequences and having the proof to back things up can make all the difference.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, Marriott Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve, HH Diamond
i definitely agree with miadeals. all it takes is max 1 minute, and it saves you the hell of dealing with a crook when you return. ive had so many instances in the past where they accused me of damaging the car upon return, and all it took was that 1 min video to shut them up.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Joonydell
i definitely agree with miadeals. all it takes is max 1 minute, and it saves you the hell of dealing with a crook when you return. ive had so many instances in the past where they accused me of damaging the car upon return, and all it took was that 1 min video to shut them up.
My next move is video taping the interactions upon return dealing with the crook and then public shaming

its truly disgusting these companies dont fire these people
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:11 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by miadeals

My next move is video taping the interactions upon return dealing with the crook and then public shaming

its truly disgusting these companies dont fire these people
Why would they? If they can charge existing damage to multiple clients successfully, they are your best employees, making you extra $. But you lose a customer, so not sure what the trade off is.
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by jim32190

Why would they? If they can charge existing damage to multiple clients successfully, they are your best employees, making you extra $. But you lose a customer, so not sure what the trade off is.
Ive had a rental car virtually every day for the last 2.5 years, I would think that *even if* I brought a car back with less than 1k in damage theyd just let it go because they stand to lose one of their more profitable customers for life to other agencies. Let me show you the damage they accused me of and were willing to lose my business for life over:

Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, Marriott Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve, HH Diamond
is that a ford F-150? ive never seen one of those in their fleet before.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: Delta PM
Should i take a video of every hotel room as well in case a property decides to charge me for some alleged damage a few months down the road?

Exactly. This is at best extortion. i wonder how many of those dubious claim letters they send for the same damage?

I have heard that this is even more of a problem with franchise locations versus corporate owned locations.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Rental car damage

I left a rental car in a parking lot, and when I returned, I found a note from someone saying that they accidentally bumped into my rear left bumper w/ a phone number, name, and their license plate information and offered to provide insurance if I call them back. I then took a couple pictures of the damage - the area has a couple of scrape marks and the bumper is cracked open a bit. I do not have a car or auto insurance but do have a Chase Sapphire Reserve card without purchasing LDW and I'm due to return the car tomorrow. I've rented with the HLE location very frequently over the past couple of years so I do know the agents there pretty well but the biggest issue that I've had was that I returned a car with a gas tank that wasn't full and the agents let me off the hook for that one. I also did have an issue with a Hertz rental in Portland 3 years ago where I ran over something and ended up with a flat tire, installed the emergency tire, and swapped the car at PDX but Hertz never billed me for it. Not sure I'll be as lucky this time around, so I'm a bit worried. The car is probably due to exit the fleet because it's at 38K miles - not sure if that plays a role.

Should I let the rental agent know about the damage when I drop off the car? I'll definitely file a claim with Chase if Hertz bills me directly for the damages - not too sure about the person at fault because I haven't even called him yet.

Thanks!

Last edited by ab2013; Mar 3, 2019 at 9:22 pm
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:28 pm

You're not at fault in the accident so don't bother filing a claim with Chase. Report the accident to the HLE and put down the insurance information from the other person on the vehicle incident report. I would suggest reaching out to the person- at least they were nice enough to leave you a note. Also, make a copy of the note and keep it somewhere safe. There's no reason to try to hide this from Hertz, you're not at fault and everything should be paid for by the other person's insurance
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:12 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

We'd agree with @xeron72 but before you write off your Chase coverage completely, we'd suggest contacting the other party's insurance company to confirm that they plan to pay for the damage and also confirm the same with Hertz. If for any reason the other party's insurance pushes back, you may be on the hook for the damage, and there is a time window in which you have to report it to Chase, and if you miss that deadline, they can refuse to cover it, so best to be 100% certain of everything before forfeiting your rights to a claim. Keep in mind that you can always report it to Chase and then not take advantage of it if the other party's insurance pays up.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I would immediately file a claim with Chase, and give them the other party's information -- including a copy of the note that was left. Let Chase's insurer deal with the other insurer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.